Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Public Display of British Privates

A Public Display of British Privates

I've put together a collection of British private press and DIY music, which you can listen to here. I'm sure some of it won't be to everyone's tastes but I hope there's something in here that takes your fancy: funk, new wave, folk, jazz and oddities.

It is all stuff found for cheap in the charity shops, record shops and record fairs so none of it should be expensive, if it turns up. I haven't included anything that I put on the private press and small label folk compilation I did (which you can download here). I also haven't included much in the way of Working Man's Soul, as the good chaps at Licorice Soul did that better than I ever could.

1. Greengage – Jesus Christ Superstar Medley (excerpt) (GG LP)
    2. Frazer-Cromey Hawke and Roger Thornton – Guitars and Drums (Christ’s Hospital LP)
    3. The Hat Band – Til You Know (Viking 45)
    4. Twice As Nice – Thoughts of You (TAN 45)
    5. Spot The Zebra – The Living Planet: The Margins of the Land (MEK LP)
    6. John & City Lights – The Miners' Song (Holyground 45)
    7. The Incredible Cherry Tree Band – Bitch (Look LP)
    8. Regency Creem – Little Lucy (Liverpool Sound Enterprises 45)
    9. The Messengers of the Cross – Are You Ever Lonesome? (Regional Evangelical Recording 45)
    10. Rainbow Wood – The Briar (Standfast Music LP)
    11. Rhian Rowe – Cariad Coll (Afon 45)
    12. The Tulketh Folk – The Pollution Song (Deroy 45)
    13. Christine Quayle – The Seagull Screams (Sentinel LP)
    14. Urban Gypsy – Japanese Girls (Public Records 45)
    15. Spider King – Animals (Test Pressings 45)
    16. Brian Freel – Nightrider (BRM LP)
    17. Ziggy Heroe – The Apart Man (Crypticks Music 45)
    18. 3P Sweet – Getaway Car (Record Records 45)
    Mixes, compilations and the like

This looks brilliant Jim, right up my street. I have a small collection of private stuff myself, mostly US though, which I need to bang into the shape of a compilation soon. You should cross post on Waxidermy.
    "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

Acer! I will listen and report.
      Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Cornus!
        "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Sounding good so far. I think you underestimate that these records shouldn't be expensive. They should be expensive due to the general supply and demand thing but it just happens that no bugger knows what these records are so turn up cheap due to that fact.

Comment

Great mix here, only had one spin through but well impressed. There were a couple of standouts but haven't had the chance to read the track listing and listen at the same time so any further praise may have to wait a while.

Comment

Yes, top work Mr. Oddman.

Really enjoyed the twice as nice and the Hat band...

The Messengers of the cross was interesting too, the album I have is like that and a bit more garagey in places...

Lovin' your work, I'm off to do a bit of searching on line...
              In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I'm pleased people are enjoying it.

Shere Khan - I may be daft but I don't get what "cornus" means.

nebkins - on the cost of the records, you're right, some of these could easily be expensive if they were more well-known (or hyped well enough). A different Twice As Nice single seems to have sold for £30 a couple of times. My point was that this isn't "private press" in the sense of "RAERACIDPSYCHPOSTPUNKHEARITNOW". Its "private press" in the sense that its a bit odd, many collectors would be put off from it and is the kind of thing lurking out there for cheap.
                Mixes, compilations and the like

Comment

Originally posted by Little Jimmy Oddman View Post
                  Thanks for the comments. I'm pleased people are enjoying it.

Shere Khan - I may be daft but I don't get what "cornus" means.
                  I noticed Eine had said Acer and I thought we were in a thread for naming our favourite trees. However now I have been disabused of that I should add that these private pressings are bang up my alley. There's nothing like the sound of a bunch of talented amateurs giving it all they've got. This is often helped by the low production techniques which mean you can actually hear each instrument individually. There is often a lot of joy in these records which is missing from more proffessional efforts. I go to quite a few gigs but one of the highlights of recent years was seing a support group called Messenger who sang a song called 'This Is Why We Do It', a paen to their craft, and also did a fantastic version of 'Ghostbusters'. In the old days they'd have had a privately pressed LP we could have bought on the way out- and I would have bagged a copy.
                  "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Listening to this again, and I like it even more the second time around. It makes me want to go and blow money on "unknown pleasures". Cheers Jim! The main thing that occurs to me on listening is how diverse the range of sounds is. That's the nice thing about my collection of American private stuff - completely all over the bloody place musically.
                    "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

Working...
                    X