LDJB March Chart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LDJB March Chart

Randy California – Kapt Kopter and the Twirly Birds (Epic, 1972)

I’ve been after a cheap copy of this LP for a while and finally kopped (ha) one on a recent wax road trip with Mr Divine. I knew that it contained a cover of the Beatles finest moment, ‘Rain’, what I didn’t know was that it would be fuzzed up beyond belief and that it would stretch to an epic 9 minutes! Randy wheels out ALL the FX pedals on this LP and the effect is sometimes superb and sometime waaay too much. That said it does contain the best cover of Paul Simon’s ‘Mother and Child Reunion’ I’ve heard and there’s a banging break tucked away too!

Various – Moog / Activity / Travel (Standard Music Library, 197?)

First decent library I’ve found for a while. It’s the moogy Mike Vickers tracks I really like on here – proper daft funky pop with added wibbling – smashing! Top marks go to the criminally short ‘Curve of the Wind’ which has funky drums underpinning a lovely moog led tune. There’s also some proper EZ library funk from Denis King and a rather slinky funker from K. Clayton (?) called ‘Tanned and Trendy’.

Greyhound – Black & White (Trojan, 197?)

A top tip from Sir Simon Vulture – he put me on to this well over a year ago and just managed to score one on the cheap. Really enjoying this LP – skip over the hit and you’ve got a great LP of funky UK reggae which branches out on several occasions into straight ahead bottom heavy funk. Check ‘The Change’ for an afro tinged funk treat (complete with drum and percussion break) and a tasty cover of Sly Stone’s ‘You’re the One’ for proper full on funk with fuzz guitars. Their version of “Love is Blue’ is a great skanking take on the Dells arrangement too! Strange the track entitled ‘Funky Jamaica’ – isn’t??!

The Bubble Gum Machine – S/T (Senate, 196?)

I’ve had this sought after pop psycher for a while now. It’s jolly good. It’s got the rather splendid ‘I Wonder’ which has been used by some Hip Hop chappies and there’s a break (short and sweet) on ‘Wha’cha Gonna Do For Me Now’ but beyond that I doubt there’s much to interest the sampling bods. Tons of nice pop psych though – lots of covers too – Nina Simone via the Bee Gees, Buffalo Springfield and the Beatles all get a seeing too. Yes a cool little psychey LP but not really worth the $$ commanded at the moment I reckon.

Leon Haywood – It’s Got To Be Mellow (MCA)

A proper charity shop 50p score and a nice LP – unfortunately Leon lives up to the mellow part of the title for the most part which means there’s no real stompers on here but it’s a great laid back Sunday Morning listen and is largely instrumental with Leon noodling away at the organ. The exceptions to this are the two parts of ‘Ode to Billy Joe’ which gets the funky Hammond treatment and the Haywood original ‘Cornbread & Buttermilk’ which in the long tradition of food related songs is reet funky!

The 9th Creation – Bubblegum (Ritetrack)

Copped this at a record fair for a fraction of the bay price – bit of a one tracker in my very humble opinion – yup ‘Bubblegum’ is the one – that opening 30 seconds or so is wonderful and the entire track aint too shabby either. The rest of the LP is OK but, you know, just OK.

Warlock – S/T (Music Merchant, 1972)

Scary breasted-goat-devil-creature alert! This looks like it’s going to be a heavy metal LP right? Well it isn’t – there is a lot of riffage going but it comes over like a heavier version of Rare Earth or Love. Big chunky funky rock stuff for the main part, complete with wailing vocals and fuzzed up guitars – the track which has a bit of everything is the epic ‘As You Die / Music Box’ – very scuzzy indeed. The strangest moment though comes half way through the first side when we get a pretty much straight rendition of Holland – Doziers ‘You’ve Been My Rock’ delivered in a near perfect Motown sound style – very odd amongst all that doom riffage.

Wynder K Frog – Sunshine Super Frog (Island, 1967)

The biggest piece of the month and finally completing the trio of Wynder K Lps – I had to bung a shed load of trades to a dealer to get this minty mod classic of him. It was well worth it though. 12 top quality mod soul Hammond tracks the LP never really lets up for a minute. A mixture of covers such as ‘Sunshine Superman’, ‘Hold On, I’m Coming’ and ‘(Don’t Fight it) Feel It’ and originals – the pick of which I reckon are ‘I Feel So Bad’, ‘Insence’ and ‘Dancin’ Pain’ (complete with some top grunting). One question though – what on earth is a Syd Dale track doing on here – I am assuming that is the S. Dale credited on ‘Blues for a Frog’?

Mike Batt Orchestra – Portrait of the Rolling Stones (Silverline, 1971)

Mike Batt – aint he the bloke who did the Wombles? Well, yes but before that he did some decent funky easy work for DJM. This ‘tribute’ to the Stones is well worth picking up should you happen upon it – 12 of Mick and Keef’s top tunes are treated to a going over by a big easy orchestra but with the guitar and drums to the fore and all are given a twist. You’ll never hear a funkier ‘19th Nervous Breakdown’ and ‘Jumpin’ Jack Flash’ does not disappoint. The biggest surprise though is the library funk style makeover given to ‘Let’s Spend the night Together’ which sounds like it could have come from a Keith Mansfield session – no joke. By the way does anyone know what that ‘Silver Soul’ LP pictured on the back is like? It looks interesting.

Lulu – Melody Fair (Atco, 1970)

The follow up to new routes? It certainly sounds like it. Recorded in Memphis again and featuring the Memphis Horns the whole LP has that Southern Soul feel to it and is a great listen. As usual there’s the obligatory Bee Gees song, the title track in this case and covers from such luminaries as the Beatles (‘Good Day Sunshine’), Bacharach (‘(Don’t Go) Please Stay’) and Randy Newman (‘Vine Street’) but everything on here features Lulu singing at the top of her blue eyed soul game. Top choice for me has to be the out and out funky ‘Move to My Rhythm’ in which Lulu seems to be sing from the point of view of a top class lady of the night (or have I misunderstood?). Anyhow it’s full on soulful brass and fatback drums all the way – worth seeking out for this track alone.
    Last edited by LDJB; 03-03-2005, 07:04 PM.
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Greyhound – Black & White (Trojan, 197?)

Yep, I still remember passing on this at the market and then mentioning to Sie Vulture there was a Trojan LP for £2 on another stall. Most disapointed to then hear the funky tracks described above

Lesson 1 - Never judge a record from its label.
    "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

Originally posted by LDJB
      One question though – what on earth is a Syd Dale track doing on here – I am assuming that is the S. Dale credited on ‘Blues for a Frog’?
      Syd was at Island quite a bit in the late 60s - he was the arranger/MD for Nirvana's Rainbow Chaser, and also did the Bama Winds LP which you should be very familiar with as you sold it to me!!

What's Blues for a Frog like, by the way? I'm always interested in anything with a Syd connection.

The K. Clayton on the Standard Music LP is Kenny Clayton - I can't quite remember what he was famous for, I think he was a jazz pianist.

Hope that's of use!

Comment

Lesson 1 - Never judge a record from its label.
        Lesson 2 - Always look at more than the front cover...
        If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Wow just got this for a quid on the bay. Thanks for the heads up definately an overlooked Lounge/Funk/Beat LP loved up. What can I say cheers once again LDJB!
          My Mixcloud

Comment

Originally posted by Kinky Chris

Wow just got this for a quid on the bay. Thanks for the heads up definately an overlooked Lounge/Funk/Beat LP loved up. What can I say cheers once again LDJB!

You're very welcome - that's what VV is all about innit?

Got passed the Mike Batt - Portrait of George Harrsion one the other week - nowhere near as good but still a couple of moments
            "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by Sie Vulture
              Lesson 2 - Always look at more than the front cover...
              Lesson 3 - Just buy it, it's 2 quid !
              SECRET RUSSIAN ROMANTIC GUITAR PSYCH BREAKS

Comment

Regarding your comments on Warlock, Music Merchant was an offshoot of Holland Dozier & Holland's Invictus label. Must have been their attrempt at grabbing some of that hot rock dollar.
                Endless Tripe

Comment

Originally posted by LDJB

The biggest piece of the month and finally completing the trio of Wynder K Lps – I had to bung a shed load of trades to a dealer to get this minty mod classic of him. It was well worth it though. 12 top quality mod soul Hammond tracks the LP never really lets up for a minute. A mixture of covers such as ‘Sunshine Superman’, ‘Hold On, I’m Coming’ and ‘(Don’t Fight it) Feel It’ and originals – the pick of which I reckon are ‘I Feel So Bad’, ‘Insence’ and ‘Dancin’ Pain’ (complete with some top grunting). One question though – what on earth is a Syd Dale track doing on here – I am assuming that is the S. Dale credited on ‘Blues for a Frog’?
                  Think Syd Dale simply conducted the Orchestra on some of the "backing tracks". - which is the correct term for these as mentioned (but not quite correctly) on the LP.

"I feel So Bad" and "Somebody Help Me" are the exact backing tracks to JA Soul artist Jackie Edwards vocal originals on his Island LP ("I feel So bad" on r/w Island 45 is a BIG soulie collectors piece - but got reissued in 70s -he also wrote "keep On Running" - re. Island Connection with Spencer Davis and Fontana)

There was also another version of the "Someboday Help Me" track on Island's Sue subsidiary credited to The Jaybirds - it's basically the Jackie Edwards track san Jackie's vocals but with the girl group style backing vocals singing the chorus and do-do-do-wha-ing it for the verses - I love it !

"Incense" - there were also, I think, two vocal versions to this track. One by The Anglos - think this was on Island - may have been Sue or Fontana though ...and I'm sure there was another one...

and finally "Dancing Pain" got retitled "Dancing Frog" on the b-side of "Green Door" a year later.

and somewhere along the line between 66/67 Mr Frogg lost this secong "g" on his name

Comment

Originally posted by Si Cheeba
                    "Incense" - there were also, I think, two vocal versions to this track. One by The Anglos - think this was on Island - may have been Sue or Fontana though ...and I'm sure there was another one...
                    45wise, it came out on Brit first (1965), then Fontana (also '65), then Island (1969). Was originally scheduled for debut on Fontana but held back for some reason (due to the cat# being used on another release I think). The 1967 Sue release was never issued either - but I have seen a couple of copies.... I think Smiler had one once...
                    new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Working...
                    X