UK Country Part 3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dukowski83 View Post
    Nicely done Fuz, I've just went back to download Vol. 1 for some morning commuting. There's a similar thread over on Waxidermy looking at obscure country there. Like you and other have said, it can be gruelling listening to so much bad country to get to the few songs that stand out. I guess you see a lot of stuff like myself given the proximity of our patches! Some of the stuff I've come across is listed below. Sorry in advance for not posting any clips as I can't find any although if anyone is desperate to hear any of it just PM and I can mail it over. With that,

Buzzard Creek - Knockin' on Heaven's Door (from 4 track 7" on Country House Records, 1984): just a nice country rock rendition of this Dylan standard from a group who had worked for many years of the circuit up north. The lead guitarist whose name escapes me at the moment later died on stage due to faulty electrics

Gambler - The Loser (from 'Loser Always Pays' LP on Gambler Records, 1982): the only self penned effort on the so far as I can find out sole LP by this group from Elgin. A bit more upbeat than some of the songs posted here but certainly sounds a bit different from the general sea of stuff found on C&W LPs, a bit more to the side of country rock

John Slattery - Your Sister Sue (from split 7" with Ron Slattery on Thor Records, 1970s): I think I maybe only like this because it is rather bad. Really rudimentary country rock with lackadaisical vocals. The flip is a murdering of Okie from Muskogee

Legend - Some Broken Hearts Never Mend (from 4 track 7" on Neptune Records, 1977): really nice, languid version of this Don Williams song. Quite a lot of pedal steel guitar if that's your thing. This group were at one point the backing band for Sydney Devine but don't hold it against them

Mixed Emotions - You'd Better Move on (from s/t LP on BGS Chord, 1970s): cover of an early Rolling Stones number. Again it's a fairly slow moving rendition but just has a nice melancholy air. One of the better recordings to escape from the vast back catalogue of things recorded by Bill Garden

Nat Little & the Knights - Country Roads (from Glencoe 7" on NKR, 1970s): another cover that is just teetering on the verge of collapse with the instruments always just a little bit out of sync with each other. Lends it a charmingly amateurish air

Revelations - Home in A Glory Land (from Peace 7" on Grampian, 1965): a mix of rock'n'roll, folk and bluegrass/country with Xian lyrics from the wilds of northern Scotland in the mid-60s. Has a great solo about 2 minutes in that shreds, almost 2 chord garage rock in style

Speedy & Ian - Me and Bobby McGee (from v/a Ayrshire Folk LP on Deroy, 1973): a version of the Kriss Krisstfferson song that seems to appear a lot on various records I've turned up. This is my favourite version and features Speedy and Ian before they formed a group called Company Policy who went to release a few LPs and singles (to very little critical acclaim and plenty of derision on line many years later).

Stoneycreek - Ballad of Jesse James (from 4 track 7" on Ca Va/Thor, 1978): bluegrass (and rather banjo heavy) effort from the Glasgow area to the best of my knowledge. All four songs are decent and just very different from the country normally found in the charities round this way

Well, that's my tuppence worth so far, although I ascribe to Fuz's view that given how many country releases there are, there must be more gold out there hidden in them thar hills of crud.
    As ever Stephen your diligence and enthusiasm are inspiring... at first read I don't think I know any of these. I'll have to give it some proper time and googling when I get a mo... which TBH is not likely in the near future given the arrival of a fat bloke in a red suit and all that!

Nice one Stephen.
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Originally posted by The Divine One View Post
      Glad to see you're still panning for gold. Think I have another wee bundle ready to head East...
      You prospectors from out west are always welcome!

Surely the Xmas season sees you Eastside at somepoint, give yourself a Xmas pressie and come and have a rummage through the Fuz outpile before they vanish into job lots on Ebay in the new year.
      In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Yeah that bloke is keeping us busy at this end as well. Between these threads and your redeeming feature one I have plenty to chew over during the Xmas holidays - not least deciding whether or not to pick up the Uncle John Shearer LP.

Another record that might have snuck on to my list was the Country Folk LP on Thule but I left it off as a) I figured it would be more well known around here and b) strikes me as more folk than country, despite the cover of Walk the Line. Great LP though, recommended to any VG+s who haven't come across it. My highlight from it is the version of Tom Paxton's 'Ramblin' Boy', just in a class of it's own.

Comment

Originally posted by someblokecalledfuz View Post
          [FONT="]Now to bring this chart to a suitable crescendo I give you Jan Holly’s 1973 Country girl on Avenue with Gordon Smith once again on production duties.

Feel free to correct me or chip in with any info, ask any question or add any music or artists to this thread… feedback, discussion and response is always appreciated… So long...
          The "Country Girl" album was originally issued on Philips two or three years previous to the Avenue pressing - I know this because I purchased it whilst investigating some of the releases on one of your former posts (I already had a few of those Muskrats/Lucky albums and was curious as to what else was out there in a similar vein). Top stuff sir!
          Drastically reduced to 72p

Comment

Aftet doing a little googling prompted by this thread, I've just realised that an LP on Look that I found earlier this year for a couple of quid is actually worth £250 (and one seems to have sold for £500). I've now moved it out of the pile that the toddler can get at.
            Mixes, compilations and the like

Comment

Buzzard Creek - Knockin' on Heaven's Door (from 4 track 7" on Country House Records, 1984): just a nice country rock rendition of this Dylan standard from a group who had worked for many years of the circuit up north. The lead guitarist whose name escapes me at the moment later died on stage due to faulty electrics
              Originally posted by someblokecalledfuz View Post
              As ever Stephen your diligence and enthusiasm are inspiring... at first read I don't think I know any of these. I'll have to give it some proper time and googling when I get a mo... which TBH is not likely in the near future given the arrival of a fat bloke in a red suit and all that!

Nice one Stephen.
              Have a copy of this I can send if you want it Fuz. If so pm me your address again and I'll post tomorrow.
              Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Another record that might have snuck on to my list was the Country Folk LP on Thule but I left it off as a) I figured it would be more well known around here and b) strikes me as more folk than country, despite the cover of Walk the Line. Great LP though, recommended to any VG+s who haven't come across it. My highlight from it is the version of Tom Paxton's 'Ramblin' Boy', just in a class of it's own.
                I have this somewhere - always thought of it as being a little lame... again a relisten is in order...
                In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Originally posted by Little Jimmy Oddman View Post
                  Aftet doing a little googling prompted by this thread, I've just realised that an LP on Look that I found earlier this year for a couple of quid is actually worth £250 (and one seems to have sold for £500). I've now moved it out of the pile that the toddler can get at.
                  But is it any good?
                  In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Originally posted by Mang View Post
                    The "Country Girl" album was originally issued on Philips two or three years previous to the Avenue pressing - I know this because I purchased it whilst investigating some of the releases on one of your former posts (I already had a few of those Muskrats/Lucky albums and was curious as to what else was out there in a similar vein). Top stuff sir!
                    Interesting, that will explain why the recordings are better than other Avenue records I've heard... nicely done. Let us know anything else you might have found out!
                    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Originally posted by eine View Post
                      Have a copy of this I can send if you want it Fuz. If so pm me your address again and I'll post tomorrow.
                      Will PM you Matt, thankingyoumuchly.
                      In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Fuz - no, not especially. I'd only really dipped into it before and it didn't encourage me to listen further. It's bonkers - a concept LP about Thomas More - and it has its moments but hardly a solid listen. I'll give it a bit more time to see if it connects but I might flog it. The price tag makes me like it less to be honest!
                        Mixes, compilations and the like

Comment

Superb again, Fuz, how do you find the time? Those Luckydeanos stories are great - good sleuthing!

Comment

Hi Fuz,

Found another couple of nice tunes yesterday

Country Gold - Good Hearted Woman (from their 'The Band, Their Music...' LP on Big D Records 1983): version of a Willy Nelson/Waylon Jennings composition which is a little different from the usual stuff covered by bands up here. Guitar tone and melody sounds a little surf-y at times (vaguely) which adds a nice air to it

Helen Randell - Georgia on My Mind (from 'Country Class' LP on Country House, 1978): just a great version of the standard, maybe not so much country as others that I've mentioned (Helen herself states that she has sprinkled some non country songs on the LP) but just such a fantastic version, a little Dusty Springfield in places

Definitely worth hunting for, especially the Helen Randell which also has a rather tasty version of Your Cheatin' Heart

Might also suggest -

The Innominates - King of the Road (from v/a 'Western Revue 66' on Sigmoid Sounds, 1966): pretty ramshackle and not their best cut on the LP but would fit with the left field type of country/rock that's been mentioned elsewhere (I love the version of Satisfaction by the way)

Comment

Working...
                            X