It's Brit Bossa!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wonderful - thanks for this !

I'm amazed by how many of these and others mentioned I own.
    "Cover condition:Is perfect except on back cover theres an area of dirty smudge dont know what it is and covers a bit wrinkled which im sure could be flattened out"

http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set...6018553&type=3

Comment

Originally posted by Daddy Ya Ya View Post
      Wonderful - thanks for this !

I'm amazed by how many of these and others mentioned I own.
      This is the funny thing - I was listening to some of these tracks for just the first or second time, even though I'd had the records for ages. When you look at your collection through the lens of a different unfamiliar genre you suddenly make all these new discoveries

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Thames View Post
        This looks right up my street! Nice to have confirmation Anna Dell was real as well - I have the LPs she did for Morgan/Gemini, and they included so little information I wondered if she was a pseudonym.
        Here's the back of the Anna Dell sleeve Lord T, there's a little bit of biographical detail there. She started out in Ivy Benson's all-girl band (I heard a great radio doc on that recently). I love the reference to 'prestige venues' at places like Sutton Coldfield - I can almost taste the scampi in a basket.

The conga/bongo player Simon Morton played on the two Robin Jones LPs on Apollo, so she definitely had a band with a little bit of latin/jazz pedigree

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
          "05 The Kinks – No Return (Pye LP 1967)

OK, bit of a wild card selection this one but bare with me."

Ian, I'm 100% behind you with this but, given that I am behind you I think it unwise to follow your instruction. Eyebrows would be raised at the very least.
          I'm always getting my 'bares' and 'bears' mixed up SK, it's led to a lot of misunderstandings in the past not to mention unnecessary legal action

Comment

Originally posted by IAN View Post
            Here's the back of the Anna Dell sleeve Lord T, there's a little bit of biographical detail there. She started out in Ivy Benson's all-girl band (I heard a great radio doc on that recently). I love the reference to 'prestige venues' at places like Sutton Coldfield - I can almost taste the scampi in a basket.

The conga/bongo player Simon Morton played on the two Robin Jones LPs on Apollo, so she definitely had a band with a little bit of latin/jazz pedigree
            Thanks for that - a few other talented jazz musos in there, Alan Downey played trumpet with pretty much everyone (including Maynard Ferguson), George Watts was with Stan Butcher and probably others, and Ken Ingarfield and Lionel Rubin were both with the Jerry Allen Trio. Ms Dell's Gemini LPs were both produced by Wilf Todd - Robin Jones played in his band, so there's probably some kind of link there somewhere!

I'd quite happily go to one of Anna's live gigs, wonder where she is now?

Comment

Thanks for that - a few other talented jazz musos in there, Alan Downey played trumpet with pretty much everyone (including Maynard Ferguson), George Watts was with Stan Butcher and probably others, and Ken Ingarfield and Lionel Rubin were both with the Jerry Allen Trio. Ms Dell's Gemini LPs were both produced by Wilf Todd - Robin Jones played in his band, so there's probably some kind of link there somewhere!

I like that Wilf Todd LP on Morgan, haven't played it for a while. Am I right in thinking there are wordless female vox on some of the tracks and if so, would they possibly be Anna Dell?

Anyway, as I said it's a nice LP.
              Fleas the size of rats suck on a rat the size of a cat....

Not As Great As His Very Best, But Pretty Much As Great As Most Anyone Else's.

Comment

Me too. that´s a storming version of O Morro Nao Tem Vez.
                Thanks again, Ian - I played this a few times over Easter weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it, especially as the only ones I know are Jon Hendricks and Barbara Moore. The Kinks track really works, I think, and Scott, Snell and Keane definitely add something new.

Also interesting that there don´t appear to be any Brazilian musicians involved at all - the immediate influences seem to be American jazz.
                Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Really enjoying this, thanks Ian. Most of these are new to me, & lots to enjoy. The Shake Keane & Anna Dell stood out but all excellent stuff. Good call on the Kinks track too.

Comment

Thanks for listening and for all the feedback chaps

Comment

Originally posted by IAN View Post
                      Thanks for listening and for all the feedback chaps
                      Just finished listening to the selections this morning on the way in to work. It made up for you not participating in the 2014 swap

Loved the Kinks track - a pure Brit Bossa vibe there.

Also scoring heavily for me the Anna Dell and Voices in Latin tracks.

Top work.

Last edited by SirSlim; 15-04-2015, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Been dipping in, on and off as the mood takes me. All good. No obvious standouts.

Great work.

Thanks.

Comment

IAN, great stuff, thanks for taking the time to build the chart. plenty unknown to me on it too.

much enjoyment to be had, particularly appropriate in this weather too.

as others have said, this sort of chat begets chart with deep knowledge is at the heart of what the vulture site and VG+ were/ are all about.

Comment

Originally posted by amidar View Post
                            Love the world record club cover appropriation too, nice work.
                            Thanks amidar, well spotted!

Comment

Just a quick one to say that even though I've not been around the site for far too long, I still managed to check this out and download it.
                              the perfect tonic for a freezing London January.
                              Most wonderful - and much appreciated.
                              To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

Just a quick one to say that even though I've not been around the site for far too long, I still managed to check this out and download it.
                                the perfect tonic for a freezing London January.
                                Most wonderful - and much appreciated.
                                To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

Working...
                                X