It's Brit Bossa!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Brit Bossa!

Following some chat on here recently about British Bossa Nova, I thought I'd throw a little mix together - hope you enjoy!

Download the lot here

01 Annie Ross – Crickets Sing For Anamaria (Decca LP 1970)

Let's kick things off with a great version of the Marcos Valle classic...

02 Anna Dell – Somewhere In The Hills (Hollick & Taylor LP 1960s)

Organist Anna tackles a few bossas on this LP, but this is my favourite - one of the lesser heard Jobim songs. Private press LP from Birmingham.

03 Johnny Scott Quintet – Carnival (Columbia LP 1967)

Nice version of Bonfa's classic from flautist Scott who seemed to have a real affinity for bossa nova - he pops up as writer, arranger and player on lots of brit bossa stuff.

04 Blossom Dearie – Dindi (Fontana LP 1967)

With her Astrud Gilberto-like little girl's voice, Blossom is perfectly suited to the genre. The players are unnamed but it's got to be David Snell on harp I reckon

05 The Kinks – No Return (Pye LP 1967)

OK, bit of a wild card selection this one but bare with me. Heavy bossa influence and Ray Davies with his natural melancholia actually gets the genre's bitter/sweet tone spot on

06 Caterina Valente & Edmundo Ros – Canto De Ossanha (Phase 4 Stereo LP 1969)

One of the more authentic UK efforts, this is a great stab at the Baden Powell classic

07 Cy Grant featuring Bill le Sage – Brazilian Breezes (World Record Club LP 1964)

Cy has top billing, but all the best tracks don't actually feature him. This is a Bill le Sage original and he's joined on it by other UK bossa aficionados Shake Keane and Ray Swinfield on flute.

08 Jon Hendricks – Reza (Fontana LP 1970)

Epic version of the Edu Lobo classic, with a nice Ronnie Scott solo

09 David Snell – Bossa Bambino (Studio 2 Stereo LP 1966)

Cute little harp led bossa, with that man Johnny Scott popping up again

10 Roy Castle – The Gentle Rain (MFP LP)

I used to have the much nicer Columbia issue of this LP, but it's lost in the mists of time.
    Nice version of the Bonfa classic, featuring jazz heavyweights Gordon Beck and some nice flute work from Ray Swinfield (again)

11 James Clarke + Sounds – Spring Bossa (Fontana LP '68)

Clarke was another UK writer who really seemed to get the bossa feel. It's Johnny Scott and Shake Keane involved again.

12 Morgan James Duo – One Note Samba (Philips LP 1966)

This UK jazz vocal duo tackled a few bossas over their 3 LPs - their harmonies and solid jazz chops on double bass and guitar make this version stand out

13 Shake Keane – Bossa Negra (Pama LP 1970)

Lovely slinky bossa from Shake, I haven't heard his early 60s version of this so don't know how it compares. All the usual suspects involved like Johnny Scott.

14 Voices In Latin – Busy (Morgan LP 1968)

No Brit bossa mix is complete without the presence of Barbara Moore who had a real knack for the idiom - this is a nice uptempo thing written by her to finish off with
    Last edited by IAN; 07-12-2016, 04:33 PM.

How excellent, thank you.
    Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Downloading now - nice work Ian.

Comment

This looks right up my street! Nice to have confirmation Anna Dell was real as well - I have the LPs she did for Morgan/Gemini, and they included so little information I wondered if she was a pseudonym.

Comment

Excellent, will tuck in later, thanks Ian
          some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Thames View Post
            This looks right up my street! Nice to have confirmation Anna Dell was real as well - I have the LPs she did for Morgan/Gemini, and they included so little information I wondered if she was a pseudonym.
            There's a little bit of a biog on the rear sleeve, I'll post it up tomorrow

Comment

Yay! Really looking forward to this.

a big caipirinha made with Roses lime cordial for Ian!
              Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Lovely chart - can't wait to get stuck in! This is a really beautiful embodiment of the vinyl-vulture spirit in full swing. Great work!
                Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

Looking forward to chilling back to this. Love the world record club cover appropriation too, nice work.
                  Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

Great stuff - and somehow I don't own any of these records!

Comment

Mouth is watering with the prospect of listening to these!
                      Thanks Ian - as Pencilface said this is what makes VG+ the great place it is!
                      "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

Loving this! I'm such a computer Luddite I'm always impressed when a chart includes scans AND download links. The Los Bandidos inspired image is the icing on the cake!
                        it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
                        take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

Comment

"05 The Kinks – No Return (Pye LP 1967)

OK, bit of a wild card selection this one but bare with me."

Ian, I'm 100% behind you with this but, given that I am behind you I think it unwise to follow your instruction. Eyebrows would be raised at the very least.

Stirling work, really excellent. Listen to this, watch one of those Avengers re-runs on freeview and I'm right back in my comfort zone.
                          "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Wow, this looks ace!!! Thanks Ian.
                            ¡A tope con la vida!

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post
                              a big caipirinha made with Roses lime cordial for Ian!

I'll raise a Tizer along with that....enjoying this right now, thanks a lot Ian, great work....CHEERS!....
                              you can hear colours when they rhyme...

Comment

Working...
                              X