Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jim, here is a Dean Eastwood playlist -

https://www.mixcloud.com/stephen-sma...stwood-primer/

It has tracks from each of the four singles I own (including the one you took a song off of), I've picked what I think are the best tracks. As I said earlier, there are some right duffers on each single as well, apart from maybe the first. Jamo from the board has another single 'The Lochee Family' that I don't have although Breeks from Groucho's has said he'll put by the next copy that comes in so fingers crossed. As far as I know Dean Eastwood never got signed, all of the releases are on EEL Records, his own imprint (EEL stood for Eastwood Entertainment Limited I believe). He ran a folk club in Dundee and performed as Dean Eastwood, Dean and Dawn and the New Eastwoods. Tantalisingly, the most recent single I own is from 1987 (some fourteen years after his first) and is numbered EEL 014 which suggests quite a few unaccounted for records although at least one of them had two different issues I think. Hope you enjoy!

Boi Bach o Bethel - many thanks for your kind words, I in turn really appreciate the enthusiasm and knowledge you share over Welsh language music on the board, really informative and inspirational

Comment

Some corkers on the Dean Eastwood. Thanks for putting it up. Really enjoying the Russell-Ferguson on the Gaelic mix too...
      Mixes, compilations and the like

Comment

Glad you like the Dean Eastwood - he strikes me as someone who was perhaps not universally well regarded at the time (although obviously his role in the wider folk community and number of releases suggest that there was an audience) but who might now, with some distance, be ripe for a reappraisal. There is certainly an air of outsider-ness in some of the music he released, although as I said earlier, that is not true for all of his output.

Comment

Had a few more bits and pieces in the door over the summer so thought I'd put together a second little playlist. Artists this time include the Lochies, Gael Folk, Iona Community, Na H-Oganaich, Mannfolk and Doreen Smith

https://www.mixcloud.com/stephen-sma...folk-volume-2/

Comment

Lovely stuff. Great work
            sigpicRock on Penderyn

Comment

Not had too much else in the door recently but picked up a promising LP by Christine Primrose today called Aite Mo Ghaoil on Temple Records which has a couple of lovely tracks, one in particular backed by a clarsach and this effort with sparse guitar

Also came across this later Na H'Oganaich LP with this rather jazzy/funky backing - not heard much else in this vein

Comment

Here is the third instalment of my meandering through the world of Gaelic folk music. It's been intriguing, exhilarating and draining in equal measure - I've yet to come across an LP where I can appreciate each and every track, although one of those on this playlist came close (Christine Primrose). I still struggle when listening to unaccompanied vocals which are often a feature of Gaelic recordings - while the voices are often incredibly impressive and you can feel the emotion coming through it still feels a little cold for me.

https://www.mixcloud.com/stephen-sma...ic-folk-vol-3/

The selection on this playlist is certainly more varied and contemporary than previous attempts. Partly due to more recent recordings (late 70s/early 80s for some), due to a broadening of sounds (a touch of pop and rock coming in) and the use of some African instrumentation on one record. These all give a slightly different feel to the recordings here I feel. The records featured are:

Donnie MacLeod - Farewell My Love (Lismor): this LP continues the run of Lismor LPs that have one or two good tracks and a lot of filler. The first track (which is the last on the playlist) is a modern interpretation of the poetry of MacFarlane, a well respected Lewis man. The sound is bordering on pop but draws me in. More traditional is a later track 'Cadal Cuain' which is a sparse lament and more in line with MacLeod's earlier work with Na h-Oganaich. I however still struggle not to see him as Dot-a-Man, which for any of our Scottish contingent may be a blast from the past, a gaelic TV 'star' of a children's show

Runrig - Play Gaelic (Neptune): before they became a Gaelic-Rock colossus striding across Scotland and singing of Loch Lomond, Runrig were described as a more 'pastoral folk' group of students in Glasgow. This was their first LP and shows the seeds of rock being interspersed with their folk roots. There as a second track I wanted to include here but my copy unfortunately has a nasty parallel scratch in the grooves on that one track so I'll need to try and find another copy

Russell-Fergusson - An Treisamh 7" (Clarsach): a clarsach (Gaelic harp) single with African instrumentation making this sound rather different from similar work. An earlier single I have by Russell-Fergusson was much more traditional, this definitely spreads its wings far more and is a really interesting mix of sounds

MacDonald Sisters - Hebridean Beat Songs 7" (Gaelfonn): known as the 'Gaelic Ronettes' for their harmonies, this is their first single as far as I can make out. The track 'Caluim Sgaire' also appears on this playlist performed by Christine Primrose but both versions are different enough to warrant inclusion. This single has made me try and go and find other examples of their work - there is/was an LP in my local Debra charity shop but they are in the midst of moving and I have no idea if it is still there - really hope they don't ditch stock during the move. The son of one of the sisters was in BMX Bandits and Teenage Fanclub

v/a - Seinn Or '66 (An Comunn): a compilation of the gold medal winners at that years Mod (national Gaelic singing contest). Band featured here are Na Muillearan who won the group medal (although now sound very trad compared to the rest of the playlist)

Christine Primrose - Aite Mo Ghaoil (Temple): a delightful surprise. I'd passed on this a few times thinking, given the label, that it would be too 'twee'. I was wrong. The songs with instrumentation are sparse and atmospheric (I've seen it described as 'Wicker Man soundtrack-esque' which is pretty on the nose), the ethereal vocals taking the music to a whole other realm. Her voice is still very impressive on the a capella tracks but I just can't warm to them the same way

Na h-Oganaich - Scot-Free (Beltona Sword): mostly meh, with two lovely tracks. The best, by a long way, is Coisich A Ruin which is jazzy/funky in the intro and just a lovely song really. Interesting to begin to hear Gaelic artists broadening the palette of sounds they draw from

And that's it - all comments, discussion and views warmly appreciated! I'm really enjoying the process of investigating a sound new to me and sharing here, be great if others can throw up some other tracks and artists that I've missed.

Comment

Originally posted by dukowski83 View Post
                  Russell-Fergusson - An Treisamh 7" (Clarsach): a clarsach (Gaelic harp) single with African instrumentation making this sound rather different from similar work. An earlier single I have by Russell-Fergusson was much more traditional, this definitely spreads its wings far more and is a really interesting mix of sounds
                  One of her 45s whipped this board into a frenzy a couple of years back. Okay, I'm exaggerating a bit but it certainly invited a bit of comment. Someone found one and then someone else (sie fly?) said they had a copy. I'm sure a few people expressed a strong desire to get hold of one. One is pretty far out, apparently (the one on here I guess). Look forward to listening to this. I often find myself tuning into BBC Alba ( I'm in Suffolk so it's quite exotic) and they have quite a bit of Gaelic music on. I've come to like it quite a bit. I have that Christine Primrose LP and a couple of Lismor jobbies I got from Mr Divine 'Na Siaraich' and 'The Sound of Mull'.
                  "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
                    One of her 45s whipped this board into a frenzy a couple of years back. Okay, I'm exaggerating a bit but it certainly invited a bit of comment. Someone found one and then someone else (sie fly?) said they had a copy. I'm sure a few people expressed a strong desire to get hold of one. One is pretty far out, apparently (the one on here I guess). Look forward to listening to this. I often find myself tuning into BBC Alba ( I'm in Suffolk so it's quite exotic) and they have quite a bit of Gaelic music on. I've come to like it quite a bit. I have that Christine Primrose LP and a couple of Lismor jobbies I got from Mr Divine 'Na Siaraich' and 'The Sound of Mull'.
                    Need to try and do a search and see what was said - the one on here is certainly out there for time and place. I believe she released four singles on the Clarsach label so two more for me to still track down. As for Lismor jobbies! Most Lismor LPs in my experience fall in to one of two camps - utter tripe or utter tripe with one or two redeeming features. The Na Siaraich is to be fair ok, but nothing really stands out about it. The Sound of Mull released two LPs and each of them has a killer track, A' Bhirlinn Barrach on one and however you spell Kirsteen in Gaelic on the other, but the rest is all a bit too twee for me. My most recent pick up on Lismor was the Donnie MacLeod which has two rather nice tracks split by the most appalling noise I've come across for quite some time, so capably demonstrating the low hit rate on that label (in my opinion anyway). Hope you enjoy the mix when you get a chance to listen to it.

Comment

Originally posted by dukowski83 View Post
                      Need to try and do a search and see what was said - the one on here is certainly out there for time and place. I believe she released four singles on the Clarsach label so two more for me to still track down. As for Lismor jobbies! Most Lismor LPs in my experience fall in to one of two camps - utter tripe or utter tripe with one or two redeeming features. The Na Siaraich is to be fair ok, but nothing really stands out about it. The Sound of Mull released two LPs and each of them has a killer track, A' Bhirlinn Barrach on one and however you spell Kirsteen in Gaelic on the other, but the rest is all a bit too twee for me. My most recent pick up on Lismor was the Donnie MacLeod which has two rather nice tracks split by the most appalling noise I've come across for quite some time, so capably demonstrating the low hit rate on that label (in my opinion anyway). Hope you enjoy the mix when you get a chance to listen to it.
                      Found it. It wasn't as far back as I thought (may finds 2015) starts on this page, found by Sonovox and then continues on the next page wjere Sie Fly says he found one in a skip. http://www.verygoodplus.co.uk/showth...sell-Fergusson. Somebody told me Martyn Bennett sampled her on his 'Grit' CD. I've got The Sound Of Mull LP with A' Bhirlinn Barrach on it. That Jabble track is amazing, it sounds like primitive sampling.
                      "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Quite funny looking back - I had no idea that there had been such a discussion. The two singles mentioned are the two I own. The An Treisamh one is definitely more out there (and Jabble is my favourite track on it although all three are good). I like the first one as well, but it is certainly more relaxed. I do wonder if they were all released quite close together as I gather that she was getting on in years by that point. I think they all come from around 1966/1967 based on the first pressing if the first single.

Comment

On my travels in the Highlands in what is just stunning weather at the moment, I managed to pick up the CR02 Russell Fergusson EP... No way of listening at the moment and it hasn't got a cover but it looks good...

Track listing is...

Drifting Wrack (with voice)
                          Sea rain
                          Spring river (with voice)

Another record in this vein I found but haven't been able to listen to is Flair on Shona, it's on Popsicle and looks promising as well... Will report back when I can...
                          In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Jealous on the Russell Fergusson. Which Flair LP did you pick up - plain white cover or boats? I have the plain white which is a bit on the country side of things for me, would like to hear the other one though. Think they had a third album on cassette as well. I'm waiting for an LP by The Innes Gaels (listed with flute, bass, violin and guitar as backing so might have a couple of keepers I'm hoping) on Thistle

Comment

Managed to miss this thread prior to this. Will give the mix a listen now.

Have you come across this LP before? - https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/2974936?ev=rb

It's a field recording on Ocora of traditional Gaelic singing - work songs and psalms. It's absolutely amazing. At moments sounds like something from another planet. Sorry for brevity - I've just woken up and I don't think my brain is working properly yet.
                              "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

Haven't come across that one - will need to give it a listen at some point. I've generally found that I need some form of instrumentation with my Gaelic songs. The few vocal only releases I've come across haven't quite hit the spot although the more communal/harmony tracks do a bit more for me.

I've put up three mixes so far as I delve more into this area and have a provisional fourth almost ready, just waiting to find the right time to pick up another LP I really want to include a track from and to listen to a bunch of early 60s trad singles to see if anything there is worthy of inclusion. I've really been enjoying immersing myself in an area of music where I have no real touchstones or points of reference. Hope you find some sounds to enjoy on the mixes

Comment

Working...
                                X