And The Wind Blows Free - a Xian mix

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And The Wind Blows Free - a Xian mix

Although I've been lurking around recently I haven't been posting too much as it's been a very rough start to 2017. Over the last few months I've been enjoying (and by chance finding) quite a bit of private press xian recordings and slowly been starting to put together the idea of a mix of such sounds. Now I'm aware that the appeal of a xian set is a bit niche (especially as, unlike Fuz, I've not turned up a huge amount of fuzzed up bangers) but there is certainly a wealth of lovely music that has been produced on xian based labels. I myself fluctuate between atheism and agnosticism (more towards the latter over the last few months) but have generally been enjoying these recordings on their musical merits although the sense of calm and hope in a number of the tracks has certainly helped in recent times. The link and tracklisting is here:

https://www.mixcloud.com/stephen-sma...nd-blows-free/

1. Chord of Love - The Lord's My Shepherd
    2. Harmony Trio - Running Man
    3. Direction - My Faith Is In You
    4. Unity - He proved His love to me
    5. Ekos - When I Survey the Wondrous Cross
    6. Ian White - When the Lord Brought Back Captives from Zion
    7. The Pebbles - He Knows the Way
    8. Harmony - Don't It Make You Want To Go Home
    9. Llidyth Trio - This Man Jesus
    10. Chord of Love - Thy Covenant Love Lord
    11. Mary Campbell - Sheltered in the Arms of God
    12. Isabel Lindsay - Life (Really Begins with Jesus)
    13. The Chordials - Dreams
    14. Catch the Vision - Man Can't Live Alone
    15. D. Graham and Iona Community - Responding
    16. Maranatha Choir - That Day Is Coming Closer
    17. His Sound - New World
    18. New Horizon - Mine, All Mine
    19. Bryce Trio - He's Alive
    20. Unity - Yesterday Forever
    21. Messengers of the Cross - When Will I Learn
    22. Harmony Trio - The Living Dead
    23. Maranatha Choir - Who Am I?
    24. Kingsway Singers - And I Know
    25. The Concords - Come On
    26. Revelations - Home In A Glory Land
    27. Tom Morton - Search and Destroy

The music fluctuates between folk, beat, pop, glam and more vocal/religious sounding tracks although hopefully with what others will find interesting arrangements and musical backing. The earliest recordings date from the mid 60s with one or two (the Catch the Vision, Tom Morton, Ian White and Isabel Lindsay) being from the mid-80s, although sounding earlier. I'll upload the sleeves in a wee while in a follow up. Enjoy!

Comment

Lots of good stuff on here. I'm only about half way through and I'm about to press pause while I go outside to make some shelves. The 'Direction' track is probably my favourite so far; I like the languid, swinging drums on it and also the little guitar figure, with the vibes, that comes at the end of each verse. Nice burbling organ in the back of it all as well. 'The Pebbles', 'Unity', and Isabel Lindsay are great tracks too.
      "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Cheers SK, hope you've enjoyed the second half as well. The Unity and Direction LPs are recent pick ups. That Direction track has been the initial stand out for me - I've been after the LP for a long while going purely on the label (Emblem), former band (The Concords) and an online description (primitive electric country) which all pointed to something at least halfway decent but it has so far exceeded my expectations. Unity I heard of in connection to The Chordials and Bryce Trio who all feature on the LP, quite a mix of sounds but strong throughout, will need to pick up their other LP at some point. The Isabel Lindsay had lurked in one of my crates for ages and I dug it out with some other xian 45s more as a matter of course but really enjoyed it this time around so it's now been filed properly. Would love to hear folk's takes on the His Sound>New Horizon>Bryce Trio>Unity>Messengers of the Cross run of tracks, one of my favourite bits of the mix

Comment

Originally posted by dukowski83 View Post
          Cheers SK, hope you've enjoyed the second half as well. The Unity and Direction LPs are recent pick ups. That Direction track has been the initial stand out for me - I've been after the LP for a long while going purely on the label (Emblem), former band (The Concords) and an online description (primitive electric country) which all pointed to something at least halfway decent but it has so far exceeded my expectations. Unity I heard of in connection to The Chordials and Bryce Trio who all feature on the LP, quite a mix of sounds but strong throughout, will need to pick up their other LP at some point. The Isabel Lindsay had lurked in one of my crates for ages and I dug it out with some other xian 45s more as a matter of course but really enjoyed it this time around so it's now been filed properly. Would love to hear folk's takes on the His Sound>New Horizon>Bryce Trio>Unity>Messengers of the Cross run of tracks, one of my favourite bits of the mix
          I did- and I never finished those shelves. I liked the Marantha Choir, and Kingsway Singers tracks because They sounded like they could run over the credits of an old western film, and watching as many of those as I do I like that sound. The track by Revelations started really well and I was a bit disappointed when they picked up the pace and became more jaunty. Catch the vision is a real nice track. The trouble with The Bryce Trio track is that the lyrics are a bit full on old testament and you can hear them very clearly. I know that's the point of it but it spoils it for me. Messengers of The Cross I seem to recall being a bit odd? Like I said before, though, there's lots of good stuff on here and I'll definitely revisit it. That Chordials track is pretty good too and I think they win my prize for best sleeve.
          "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Working...
          X