Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sie Vulture - April 2005 Chart

SIE VULTURE'S APRIL 2005 CHART

Big Band Katowice "Music For My Friends" (Muza)

As you probably know, my explorations into European music (especially Eastern European) are rare occasions, with most of my LP finds either home-grown or originating from across the Atlantic. But this Polish jazz LP really caught my eye and, upon listening to it - I was instantly hooked! The Big Band Katowice are a collective of musicians all studying at the State Higher School of Music in Katowice and it was the graduates of 1977 who recorded this session. The album opesns with two rather traditional swingin' big band numbers that do leave you with a sense of dread as to what exactly have you just bought. But, no fear! because the opening bars of "Sorcery" will raise both your expectations and the funk levels! The last track on side one is the one that most people know when I mention this album = "Madrox" - a super cover of an Otis Redding track with some absolutely *excellent* production. This track sounds like it was recorded in sunny LA in '77 to be the theme music for the latest Spelling TV blockbuster starring Lee Majors or Michael Douglas, so the fact that it was conceived in a rather indutrial Polish city does rather add to the wonderment. Fantastic, racy and funky, they're cookin'! On the flip side we get the funky CTi-style jazz workouts of "Hey Man", "Experience" and the title track, all loaded with warm electric piano, tight brass and funky beats that power along whilst the flautist and guitar man merrily solo away to their hearts content. Great album.

Essra Mohawk "self-titled" (Asylum)

This was a speculative £5 punt on an album that I wasn't familiar with, but reading through the credits and sleevenotes, it did feel kinda right. With a backing band that includes the likes of Wilton Felder, Joe Sample and King Errison, Essra gets both jazzy and funky with the folk with her version of "Summertime" (excellent cover!) and original compositions "You Make Me Come To Pieces" and the quite well known "New Skins For Old". Nice album, recommended for a fiver, for sure.

Barbara Acklin "Someone Else's Arms" (Brunswick)

We all know the huge "Love Makes A Woman" and I've been a fan for a while, but I've never been able to find this LP without forking out some drastic dough to get one. Imagine my luck when I found the original album in a provincial record fair for about the same price as the recent bootleg! Opening with the title track, the first side of the LP is a bit of a hit-or-miss affair, with a couple of ballads and cover versions. For me, side two is where it's at. "Every Day Is A New Day", "More Ways Than One" and a decent enough run through "Spinning Wheel". Best track is stuck right at the end of the side - "You've Been In Love Too Long" - a big production, ballsy soul tune.

Salena Jones "Moment Of Truth" (Muza)

Found this whilst working in Germany, price = 15 Euros. That'll do. This LP is the missing piece of my Salena Jones jigsaw and I've been struggling to find the UK CBS issue for anything like a decent price for more years than I care to mention - and finding one of these at a booter is a rare thing these days! "Right Now" is the fave for me - a real swinging big band number courtesy of the Keith Mansfield Orchestra that works so well with Salena's vocals.

Winston Wright & The Aggrovators "Jump The Fence" (Third World)

Found this 1977 roots-reggae-instrumental-organ album at the back of a box labelled "soul records, £2 each" and had to make it mine. Dear old Winston was, even in 1977 a veteran of the JA music scene and, if you believe the sleevenotes "fingered a mellow organ on the hit tune Liquidator". No Mittoo-style funky madness on this, just some nicely worked medium paced reggae tunes...

Jon Lucien "O Mind's Eye" (RCA)

Couple of quid punted on a copy of this that I guess must have been left under a running tap for a week, judging by the extent of the water damage on the sleeve - but the vinyl is super minty clean, so I'm gonna claim "bargain". I was bowled over by the most beautiful "Will You Believe In Me" on the "Rashida" album, and up to date, this album is becoming a bit of a one tracker too.. but as with the "Rashida" LP - what a track it is! "Ghetto Song" is 2 mins 30 secs of fast paced, breakbeat-driven funk, straight out the Gil Scott Heron School of Gettin' Right On.

Word.

Willie Bobo "Do What You Want To Do..." (Sussex)

As with the Lucien album, a consession was made on the state of the cover (nasty ringwear!) in order to secure a copy of this classic Bobo outing for less that 20 bucks. The vinyl would have been great if Parcel Farce hadn't stuck a delivery notice to the front of the package with a staple that pierced the package, sleeve and record with such funkin' accuracy that I've now got a click, pop and jump within the first minute of the awesome "Broasted Or Fried". Bastards. Great record, even though the celebration of getting a bargain was somewhat bittersweet. We've all got a "guess what the postie did to the record?" story, this is my latest. It's the accuracy of the impact that really has lands my head in my hands...

Bernard Wright "Nard" (Arista)

Time for some early 80's shizzle that gets most Vultures running for the hills. Young Bernie was a bit of a child prodigy and recorded this album aged just 16, with plenty of help from some regular musicians/sessioners and the likes of Luther Vandross on backing vocals. "Master Rocker" and "Spinnin" are top 80's instrumental slap bass funkers that you'll either love or hate. "Haboglabotribin" has been royally rogered by the likes of Dr Dre, I reckon he used it for the first Eminem album. The album finishes with "Solar" that wouldn't sound amiss on a Dudley moore or Herbie Hancock album - a lazy, smokey piano, bass and drums jazz trio affair - showing Bernie to have a musical knowledge beyond his youthful age. If you see a copy of this for cheap, take a listen - you might be surprised... Who knows?

ESG "Dance To The Beat Of Moody" (99 Records)

Totally awesome 12" - took an age to find one for a reasonable price, but totally worth the wait. Three tracks of jump-up toe-tapping bass and drums that sound timeless... To be heard in a club near you - soon!

Last edited by Sie Vulture; 04-08-2009, 02:11 AM.
    If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Hot Chart Mate

Yeah!!! Top Chart...i got the Big Band Katowice a while ago and had almost forgotten how great it is
    Country be dyin like poor people do
    Hospitals be closing...doors to me and you (Lopazz - Blood)

And here's some other stuff that i get up to...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Serio...796469?fref=ts

Comment

Is that Willie Bobo LP really worth £20.00?? Got a copy last month for about £3.00 in top notch condition. Thats made my day. Great album too.
      Now celebrating over 1000 posts of nonsense.....
      www.facebook.com/mindtrekers
      www.soundcloud.com/mr-munch

Comment

I paid a tenner about 8 years ago and thought it a bargain so i reckon it'll have gone up by now...i know there are some scorpio pressings of it now though...so it probably has affected it's worth but £3 is a fantastic price....the thing is i've found records worth loads for pence...and putting monetary worth on stuff always doesnt cut it with me...when i go looking for records i tend to stay well away from knowledgable dealers and big collectors shops so therefore don't pay massive amounts for stuff that i can stumble across cheap...eventually
        Country be dyin like poor people do
        Hospitals be closing...doors to me and you (Lopazz - Blood)

And here's some other stuff that i get up to...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Serio...796469?fref=ts

Comment

Think it was cheap cause its not in the RC guide so the chap in the shop just assumed it wasn`t worth much. It was Sifters in Burnage (as reviewed on main VV site) also got Kool & Gang "Music Is The Message" for £10.00 and a couple of Quincy Jones LPs for about £2.50-£3.00 each. All in all a pretty good day.

Comment

the thing is i've found records worth loads for pence...and putting monetary worth on stuff always doesnt cut it with me...when i go looking for records i tend to stay well away from knowledgable dealers and big collectors shops so therefore don't pay massive amounts for stuff that i can stumble across cheap...eventually

I know what you mean, I tend to avoid the big dealers as i`ve not got a right lot of expendable cash to spend on LPs. Patience is the key...

Comment

I'm cringing my wibblers at your asplendid vinylsnoos Sie can ya feel it, can ya?
              good work sir.
              MODZ
              Hero No.9
              Last edited by Col Wolfe; 09-12-2009 at 10:37 PM.
              THERE MIGHT BE ANOTHER CRIPZ AT SOME POINT ITS HARD TO SAY

Comment

Originally posted by Shiftless When Idle
                Yeah!!! Top Chart...i got the Big Band Katowice a while ago and had almost forgotten how great it is
                you know it! as most folks know, most of my musical taste is US/UK based - but this Polish joint rocks!
                If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Muench
                  Is that Willie Bobo LP really worth £20.00?? Got a copy last month for about £3.00 in top notch condition. Thats made my day.
                  A mint copy, courtesy of Soul Brother in London will set you back a cool 90 quid....

Mr Sifters is a great shop - had some much good stuff out of there over the years!

Comment

Glad i don`t live in London then! Yeah Sifters is great, when he has something decent in. Usualy pop in on my Didsbury, Withington route.

Comment

Originally posted by Sie Vulture
                      A mint copy, courtesy of Soul Brother in London will set you back a cool 90 quid....
                      I wish I'd known that Sie. Dave had a copy for £4 last year (UK mind ya) but I'd just got one about a fortnight earlier from a carboot for 50p (please ignore my moaning rambles about how there are no records at carboots )

Anyway, I obviously should have bought that off Dave for you or Craig. Oops!
                      "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

Hi!

Just to precise that MADROX from the big band Katowice is a cover from the meters 'cissy's strut' no? maybe otis redding too, but which track?

Comment

Jon Lucien "O Mind's Eye" (RCA)
                          ...this album is becoming a bit of a one tracker...

let the scales fall from your eyes and the cloth from your ears, heathen. check "Listen Love". Properly. Not just the intro, the whole song.

then report back, contrite.

Comment

SIE VULTURE'S APRIL 2005 CHART

Bernard Wright "Nard" (Arista)

Time for some early 80's shizzle that gets most Vultures running for the hills. Young Bernie was a bit of a child prodigy and recorded this album aged just 16, with plenty of help from some regular musicians/sessioners and the likes of Luther Vandross on backing vocals. "Master Rocker" and "Spinnin" are top 80's instrumental slap bass funkers that you'll either love or hate. "Haboglabotribin" has been royally rogered by the likes of Dr Dre, I reckon he used it for the first Eminem album. The album finishes with "Solar" that wouldn't sound amiss on a Dudley moore or Herbie Hancock album - a lazy, smokey piano, bass and drums jazz trio affair - showing Bernie to have a musical knowledge beyond his youthful age. If you see a copy of this for cheap, take a listen - you might be surprised... Who knows?

Oh fella, I'm glad you likes this album, it still floats my boat, but you neglected to mention that "Spinnin" has the classic sample to Skee-Lo's "I Wish" contained within...nice!
                            Last edited by Sie Vulture; 04-08-2009, 02:12 AM.
                            .... ..- -. - . .-. ... / -... .. .-.. - --- -. --. / --. ..- .- .-. .- -. - . . -.. / ..-. .-. . ... .... -. . ... ... .-.-.-

Comment

Originally posted by alanmck

let the scales fall from your eyes and the cloth from your ears, heathen. check "Listen Love". Properly. Not just the intro, the whole song.

then report back, contrite.
                              "Listen Love" is ace. Wanna hear it now.
                              Endless Tripe

Comment

Working...
                              X