Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• an April Top11 : President 45s

Edit: NOW WITH ADDED SOUND!

This month I’m gonna list a label celebrated amongst the digger populace: President.

Up until recently you could still pick up the sweets direct from their warehouse leftovers. Sadly no longer the case as it has been picked clean. In the field, it’s always an easy label to spot and has a fairly good aural hit rate (well, one in four at least). Label owner Ed Kassner would release young talented artists/producers i.e. Eddie Grant alongside reissues of older recordings from foreign lands making for a fun and eclectic catalogue. I’ve highlighted my prefered side from each release.

The Exception – Pendulum / Don’t Torture You Mind (1969 PT271)
    Definitely their best of 5 President 45s. The Bside mixes a heavy pop/beat vibe with an off-kilt sax to solo out on. Don’t know much about them apart for their links to Fairport Convention (several member involved at one stage with Dave Pegg being the mainstay). If anyone has their first CBS 45 ‘Eagle Flies On Friday’, please contact me!

The Pastoral Symphony – Love Machine / Spread A Little Love Around (1968 PT202)
    This mysterious group hailed from Australia and the 2 songs included on this record were originally one side of a 1967 EP on the Festival label. It’s a fantastic symphonic psych sound with a barrow-load of effects and way-out phased lyrics. The flip is a trippy whimsical popper. Also watch out for Fluff’s cover of ‘Love Machine’ on another yummy UK label, DJM, from 1970.

Zappatta Schmidt – You Got The Love / Someone In The Crowd (1970 PT318)
    The LP seems to be a VinylVulture fave according to it’s regular appearances in the Trades section and if other tracks are anything like the Bside on this 45, it’s easy to see why. ‘Someone In The Crowd’ has everything: plenty of funkiness, big big drums, hammond, brass and above all, an interesting arrangement. Real nice.

The Lloyd Alexander Real Estate – Gonna Live Again / Whatcha Gonna Do (When Your Baby Leaves You) (1967 PT157)
    Killer mod club doublesider! The vocalist in this band sounds just like Stevie Marriott and with a powerful performance from the rest of the group plus top quality production, there ain’t no doubting this release. The weird ska-esque vocal rhythms also pushes the Aside into your attention zone. The flip is a tasty cover of the Chuck Willis number with added hammond wibbliness. Please get in touch if you have any additional info regarding this outfit.

McKinley ‘Soul’ Mitchell – The Town I Live In / No Love Like Your Love (1967 PT125)
    Originally released several years earlier on the US label One-derful, this seven has a meaty mid-tempoed bluesy soul number hidden away on the flip. Gritty vocals, classy backing and more hammond make it a serious contender at today’s more R&B flavoured Northern Soul nights. Get on this one quick before it goes the way of the Jimmy Robins President 45!

Janie – Back On My Feet Again / Psycho (1970 PT309)
    ‘Psycho’ really is psychotic from the start, mixing up a heavy wah-wah intro with witch-like cackling before the surreal comedic conversations begin. Really insane stuff. Believed to be high society whore-house honey Janie Jones!

The Explosive – Cities Make The Country Colder / Step Out Of Line (1969 PT244)
    Intriguing swirling organ/drums intro/outro segments surrounding a paisley pop stomper as the main track. If you could get hold of the extended intro/outro recordings, that’d be one helluva Licorice Soul release! The flip is nice too – a fine mix of blue-eyed soul and popsike. These chaps were Watson T Browne’s backing band.

The Equals – I Can See But You Don’t Know / Gigolo Sam (1970 PT303)
    You can’t tap-out a President synopsis with mentioning The Equals! Here’s something completely different to their usual recordings – this is real wild freakbeat – full of distorted guitars and a pounding beat but released 4 years too late to be recognised by most collectors of this genre. Their loss is our gain.

Barbara Ruskin – Gentlemen Please / Pawnbroker, Pawnbroker (1967 Sintonia S083052)
    This is a Spanish President issue licensed to Sintonia which cobbles together two UK Asides. One side is rank but the flip is a tasty psych/soul hybrid complimented with Ruskin’s girlie vocals, which gives it a trippy edge. If you dig Calum Bryce’s ‘Lovemaker’ then you’ll definitely dig this. If anyone has a UK issue (PT217) and wants to trade for this Euro pic-sleeve pressing, get in touch.

Gaslight – Move / And So To Sleep (1969 BOY17)
    Released on subsidiary label Jayboy, this is a wicked uptempo track with harmonic vocals and Rhodes piano to the fore. A real earworm which will have you humming it all day. Haven’t been able to dig out any info on them although they may be same lot who have a pricey LP in the RC price guide.

Sheridan & Rick Price – Sometimes I Wonder / Sheridan - Lightning Never Strikes (1970 GMS009)
    Gemini was another President subsidiary and this is another quality release. My personal tastes lean towards the beat-sike raver on the flip – full of effects, aimed at the dancefloor and still popular in the mod/6Ts clubs today. The Aside is a cool likeable oddity with bass high in the mix, lots of handclappy malarky and a heavy folky flavour. Definite Vulture material.

Edit: NOW WITH ADDED SOUND!
    Last edited by Col Wolfe; 27-04-2007, 11:29 PM. Reason: sound link added
    new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Ace!

You can still pick up president 45's at record fairs for £1 each if the guy is there. I must have had 5 of those zapatta schmidts from there. I might have one left for trade if anyone wants it.
    www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Originally posted by sermad
      Ace!

You can still pick up president 45's at record fairs for £1 each if the guy is there. I must have had 5 of those zapatta schmidts from there. I might have one left for trade if anyone wants it.
      That must be the guy who cleared out the remnants of their stores. It really is a great label for picking up cheap beat/northern/soul/psych/bubblegum - even garagepunk! Viola Wills, Felice Taylor, Dells, Pure Gold, Symbols, Alvin Cash, Primrose Circus, Albert Washington, Mouse & The Traps, Pyramids, SheTrinity, Sundae Times, Reaction...

Of course there are a few big money items too.....Cape Kenedy Construction Company, Rhubarb Rhubarb, Hat & Tie, Jimmy Robins....

Comment

Was there ever a 32nd turnoff 45?

Comment

never seen on mate - wouldn't be suprised though - they were pretty random with their release schedules (probably why there's so many spares knocking around today). I sold that LP a long time ago - you got one? how does it sound these days? I remember it as a poppy prog thing

Comment

Top chart old chap!!!

Another Top chart and i was immediately hooked with the words PRESIDENT ....personally i think Eddy Grant was amazing...hand in every pie and finger on the pulse and all that...even more so in retrospect...superbly experimental...i have quite a few EG productions on some very scarce Brit labels that i only ever come across rarely so was wondering if anyone knows all the labels he ran?

My all time fave is still The Skies Above by the Equals...great lyrics and great sludgy psych mover...but i prefer the Lp version to the 7

I'd love someone to get him to do a retrospective compilation...he was a briliant business man too as he's one of the few people to still own all the rights to his stuff or so i'm told....perhaps it could be a future project?I'd love to read an interview with him about the groups he formed and helped produce....1965-75...

A few bits and bobs on your chart i'm not familiar with but the way you describe them i think they'd be right up my street...
            Country be dyin like poor people do
            Hospitals be closing...doors to me and you (Lopazz - Blood)

And here's some other stuff that i get up to...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Serio...796469?fref=ts

Comment

Top chart that, nice one Col. Never heard of hardly any of them.
              I like the Brooks & Jerry 45 "I got What It Takes" on President.
              Will investigate...................
              You can't take a stocking offa bare leg

Comment

col, you're a bastard and you should hand those over now...

.......nice records though
                We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Yeah nice one Mr Wolfe. Top stuff. I love this label, its many offshoots and its bewildering array of undocumented obscurities.

Sermad, which record fairs would these be then?

Totally agree about Eddy Grant. I recently heard about yet another thing he was involved in to add to the list (but I'm keeping quiet about that one).

BTW, does anyone know the origins of the Jayboy imprint? I ask because I have a 7" on US Jayboy which puzzles me as I'd always assumed it was a UK thing. Same label design. Its Doris Willingham, "You Can't Do That" which I believe was the first release on UK Jayboy.

....and then there's the virtually inexplicable Ray Merrell, "Tears of Joy"...... and so on....
                  Last edited by son of stan; 22-04-2005, 11:54 PM.
                  Endless Tripe

Comment

Originally posted by son of stan
                    Sermad, which record fairs would these be then?
                    They used to be at the TUC fair a lot. Maybe try the wembley fair next week?

Anyone know anything about the zapatta schmidt record on torpedo (I think). Any cop?

Comment

They used to be at the TUC fair a lot. Maybe try the wembley fair next week?

Anyone know anything about the zapatta schmidt record on torpedo (I think). Any cop?
                      Yeah - I've got it - naff A side, great B side ('Hey Man Why') psychey funky hammond rock - why did Eddy Grant always do this? - same with the Sundae Times 45 I've got naff A side......

Give us a shout Serms - I could be tempted to part with it for the right record.
                      "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

sorry to resurrect the thread, but really.....

etc.

nice chart, col. i hav no idea what some of these things are, but hanker after them now. still....

no mention of matata?

Comment

Yes... and with a euro picture sleeve too.

Comment

Originally posted by Col Wolfe
                            Janie – Back On My Feet Again / Psycho (1970 PT309)
                            ‘Psycho’ really is psychotic from the start, mixing up a heavy wah-wah intro with witch-like cackling before the surreal comedic conversations begin. Really insane stuff. Believed to be high society whore-house honey Janie Jones!
                            "Bread ! I like Bread. with lots of Butter......"

Was just listening to this last night Col
                            SECRET RUSSIAN ROMANTIC GUITAR PSYCH BREAKS

Comment

Originally posted by TOWNY
                              "Bread ! I like Bread. with lots of Butter......"

Was just listening to this last night Col

"Eeeeeeeee, I've only been ta Victoriiiiia!"

Comment

Working...
                              X