July Chart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• July Chart

Here's my latest reviews for the month. Enjoy.

45 REVIEWS:

BOBBY BYRD & VICKI ANDERSON
    Here Is My Everything/Loving You (ABC 68)
    Bobby Byrd and Vicki Anderson met as part of the James Brown Revue. They fell in love and got married in 1967. Shortly afterwards Anderson quit the tour. Their duet single Here Is My Everything was their first post-Brown release. While Bobby Byrd had some fine non-Brown produced 45s, the same can’t be said for this one. Here Is My Everything is an upbeat RnB-Soul tune that sounds similar to Sam And Dave, but lacks staying power. Loving You is a power ballad.

FUNKADELIC
    I’ll Bet You/Qualify & Satisfy (Westbound 69)
    I recently listened through all my Funkadelic LPs, which inspired me to hunt down all their early singles. The band released two 45s with I’ll Bet You on the A-side, but different B-sides in 1969. This was the first of the two I believe. A drum break, joined by a distinctive guitar line lead into one of my favorite early Funkadelic songs with call and response vocals and soulful group vocals on the chorus. Qualify & Satisfy is a straight northern electric Blues tune. Both songs would later appear on the group’s first album.

FUNKADELIC
    Music For My Mother (Westbound 69)
    Music For My Mother was Funkadelic’s very first release, and it would later appear on their first self-titled album as well. The tune has a bouncy bass line although the tempo is slow. Over the top are some Rock guitar noodling and dark and meandering vocals. The flipside is an instrumental version.

FUNKADELIC
    Red Hot Mamma/Vital Juices (20th Century/Westbound 75)
    This 45 comes from Standing On The Verge Of Getting It On. Red Hot Mamma has a catchy chorus, but the real highlight is the searing guitar solo by Eddie Hazel that quickly takes over the entire song. Vital Juices is listed as a separate song, but it’s actually just part 2 of Red Hot Mamma with Hazel wailing away on his guitar.

JUNE GARDNER
    99 Plus 1/Mustard Greens (Hot Line)
    June Gardner was a drummer out of New Orleans who made his rounds with the local talent. 99 Plus 1 is a little bluesy RnB instrumental number that begins with a drum break by Mr. Garner. It really bursts with energy half way through when some loud horns join in. Mustard Greens has another drum break intro before going into another, more upbeat instrumental with horns all the way through this time.

GATURS
    Booger Man/Cold Beer (ATCO 71)
    This is a replacement for the original copy of this 45 I had, which contained some nasty cue burn at the beginning of Booger Man. The replacement didn’t come cheap, but this is a great two-sided single so it was worth the price. The Gaturs were another instrumental act to come down the road from New Orleans. They had at least three 45s that I know of. Booger Man is a slow and brooding tune that begins with a bass line and drums, followed by the guitar, piano and organ holding down the rhythm. Cold Beer on the other hand, is a much faster paced instrumental with a nice, soulful melody played by the organ. The chorus is made up of a little funky exchange between the organ and guitar. Now if I could only find the Gaturs’ other two singles for reasonable prices I’d be set.

LOVE N STUFF
    Right On, Brothers, Right On (Pride)
    A couple years ago O-Dub played me this 45. It proved to be a pretty elusive record to track down until a little trip to Val Shivley’s during Spring Break. Right On, Brothers, Right On is an uplifting, mid-tempo Soul track with group female vocals that give it a strong Gospel feel, although the lyrics are purely secular about how black men had been uplifted by the Movement, i.e. Civil Rights and Black Power of the 1960s and 70s. A really great tune to hear.

METERS
    Groovy Lady/Stretch Your Rubber Band (Josie 71)
    I thought I had all of the Meters’ Josie releases, but then Larry from Funky16corners dropped this one on me in a CD mix that he did. Both tracks are available on 45 only. Both Groovy Lady and Stretch Your Rubber Band are upbeat Funk tunes with that tight New Orleans musicianship that we all love and expect from the Meters. Groovy Lady begins with a little drum break before the guitar takes over the rhythm section. The real star however, is the organ that gets the solo duties towards the end. Stretch Your Rubber Band has a pounding rhythm and the added bonus of singing on the chorus.

PARLIAMENT
    The Goose – Part I (Casablanca 74)
    The Goose starts off sounding like a Timmy Thomas song with an electronic drum machine beat before the catchy “Ooh, Hah, Yeahs” of the chorus come in to lead into this slow jam by Parliament from their Up For The Down Stroke LP. This is a white label promo so I only get to hear Part I of the song.

PARLIAMENT
    I Can Move You (If You Let Me)/Testify (Casablanca 74)
    This is a single from Parliament’s Up For The Down Stroke album. Testify was a rendition of an old Parliaments hit from the late 60s. This version of Parliament gives it their own little twist with a new intro and a lot of Bernie Worrell’s keyboards. I Can Move You is one of those soulful Funk tunes that made Parliament such a big hit.

ROTATION
    Ra-Ta-Ta/Rotation (Polydor 70)
    Rotation was a Rock group from Europe. Which country exactly, I’m not sure. I heard about them through a CD swap via Vinyl Vulture and promptly found their single on eBay. Ra-Ta-Ta is a bit of a take off of the Beatles’ Ob La Di theme. The real winner is the instrumental flipside Rotation, led by a strong acoustic piano line and flute.

VIBRATIONS
    Ain’t No Greens In Harlem/Wind Up Toy (Mandala)
    Ain’t No Greens is a great catchy Funk tune with a bumpin bass line anchoring the rhythm section and a sing along chorus. Wind Up Toy is more of a Pop tune so you should just flip this 45 back to the great A-Side.

PAT WILLIAMS ORCHESTRA
    Theme From Streets Of San Francisco/California Love Story (Instrumental) (Capitol 75)
    I heard about this 45 a long time ago, but never saw it. Then when one went for over $100 on eBay, I thought I’d never own one. During Spring Break, I happened to make a little trip to Philly and Val Shivley’s and come across one for a much more reasonable price. Of course, I quickly snatched it up. I believe Pat Williams was the original artist to record the Streets of San Francisco Theme, something I grew up hearing as I watched the re-runs on Ch. 2 in the Bay Area. The Theme is a great cop show tune with blaring horns, big stabs, and a nice little electric piano solo in the middle. California Love Story is a really lush ballad fitting of the title.

LP REVIEWS:

JOHNNY ALMOND MUSIC MACHINE
    Patent Pending (Deram 69)
    Johnny Almond was a multi-talented musician playing organ, sax, and flute on Patent Pending, all of which were highlighted on the cover. Almond put these instruments to good use on tracks like the opening Ensingle, that has a nice groove to it led by the organ and a horn line reminiscent of the Stax sound at the beginning. In the middle however, it gets a little loungey as Almond starts playing the flute. Even better are the funkiness of Solar Level and Tales Of Junior. Most of Patent Pending however, is on the jazzy side with a cover of Yusef Lateef’s Before Dawn, and originals such as Voodoo Forest and Reversed For Two Horns. There’s also a Blues track thrown in for good measure entitled To R.K.

QUINCY JONES
    They Call Me Mister Tibbs OST (United Artists 70)
    They Call Me Mister Tibbs was the last major Quincy Jones soundtrack that I didn’t have. I found a copy on eBay with a little water damage to the cover, but the vinyl was fine. Call Me Mister Tibbs provides an excellent opening to the OST with a fast paced and funky feel provided by a driving bass line joined by an organ solo half way through. Fat Poppadaddy is in a similar mode with a short drum break in the middle. In contrast, there’s the laid back Blues For Mister Tibbs, and the even better Soul Flower.

BERNARD LUBAT
    Vibrations – Volume 2 (Tele Music 75)
    I purchased both of these Bernard Lubat Library records from the same seller on eBay. Lubat starts off with two Fusion tracks, the first being more on the Jazzy side with vibes and guitar, while Folly Guitares has more of a Rock edge to it. The best cuts however are the spacey sounding Super Slow Down with plenty of vibes playing to add to the ethereal feel of the tune, and Aubergine Time that has a nice swing to it.

DOUG LUCAS
    Niara (Shadybrook 75)
    Niara is a Fusion LP recorded in Brussels by trumpeter Doug Lucas. The one stand out track is One For You that has a Dusty Fingers type feel with a steady drumbeat and spacey trumpet and guitar playing over it. The rest of Niara has a little too much Fusion noodling for my tastes.

TERRY REID
    Bang, Bang You’re Terry Reid (Epic 68)
    This was another discovery via a mix swap. Terry Reid was an English Rock singer who led a trio of guitar, organ and drums while he was still just a teen. Bang, Bang was his debut, produced by Mickie Most who was also working with Donovan and Jeff Beck at the time. The standout tracks are the opening cover of Bang, Bang with a strong rhythmic beginning that really picks up pace towards the end with the addition of horns, the catchy Tinker Tailor, a great version of Season Of The Witch with some nice organ soloing, the folksy original Writing On The Wall with a hard Rock chorus, and the low key Loving Time.

CLOOK RIVERS
    Orgue Hammond Pop (VYG)
    I heard about Orgue Hammond Pop via a CD swap through the Vinyl Vulture site. It’s a French organ LP as the title would suggest featuring 12 tracks of mostly American covers. Most of the songs are cheesy sounding like Kung Fu Fighting and Rock Your Baby that begins with a really weak drum break. Things don’t become interesting until the second side and America, a slick mix of 60s Pop and Soul with the guitar adding to the Hammond lead. J’Ai La Musique En Moi isn’t a bad cover either.

OLD RECORDS OUT THE CRATES:

GAP BAND
    Gap Band II (Mercury 79)
    The Gap Band seems to be a forgotten group of the 1970s by many. It’s not that people don’t know them. I mean who could forget them after big hits like Burn Rubber under their belt. It just seems like no one goes looking for their records much. The Gap Band was made up of the three Wilson brothers from Tulsa, OK. Gap Band II is highlighted by the extremely catchy party Funk of I Don’t Believe You Want To Get Up And Dance (Oops!). There’s also the equally good Party Lights.

GAP BAND
    Gap Band III (Mercury 80)
    In 1980 the Gap Band returned with Gap Band III. The album features the slow jam Yearning For Your Love, their biggest hit Burn Rubber, and the Parliamentfunnkadelic influenced party Funk of Humpin.

TAANA GARDNER
    Heartbeat (Club Version)/Heartbeat (Party Version) 12” Single (West End 79)
    Like a lot of my early purchases, I heard about Tanna Gardner’s big hit Heartbeat not from the original, but rather as a sample used by De La Soul. The song is a classic Dance track with the opening heartbeat and catchy bass line combining for an infectious tune. The 12” features two versions, a Club and Party take with mixing by Larry Levan. The difference between the two mixes appears to be three extra minutes tagged onto the Club Version. Both have a real nice bass and drum breakdown in the middle, which is eventually joined by a talking bit by Gardner. It’s a little amazing to think that this became a Disco hit as the song is quite a bit slower than most dance tracks. This is a 12” single well worth tracking down.

MARVIN GAYE
    A Musical Testament (Motown 88)
    I don’t usually go for compilations, but A Musical Testament swayed me by including Gay’s rendition of the Star-Spangled Banner from the 1984 NBA All-Star Game, which has to be one of the greatest performances ever of that song. The LP is a two-record set including 15 tracks, mostly from later in Gaye’s career. Each side has a different theme beginning with Crossroads, then A Parting Of The Ways, A Witness To Love, and finally Introspection. The first disc contains the lush and soulful Right On, followed by the spacey instrumental After The Dance, and then two older classics, Try It Baby and I Heard It Through The Grapevine. Obviously, you can’t really go wrong with the greatest hits of Marvin. Other favorite inclusions include a live version of Distant Lover, That’s The Way Love Is, and gems I’d forgotten about like When Did You Stop Loving Me and Anger from the 1970s.
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...k-LP%20Covers/

Nice drop on the June Gardner, one very heavy drum led Jazz biscuit and a fave in the plays. The Doug Lucas looks pretty interesting, not on that one!
    it's time for some heartbeats

Comment

Originally posted by Soul-Fiend
      The Doug Lucas looks pretty interesting, not on that one!
      i only know the tune mentioned above off that lp, but it;s dope!!
      http://soundcloud.com/benjaminhatton

http://mixcloud.com/benjaminhatton

Comment

Originally posted by Soul-Fiend
        Nice drop on the June Gardner, one very heavy drum led Jazz biscuit and a fave in the plays.

Hmmm, I'll have to give this another listen - was sifting through my dodge pile of 45's and came across this - shoved it in the keck pile. .

Comment

Originally posted by Belson
          Hmmm, I'll have to give this another listen - was sifting through my dodge pile of 45's and came across this - shoved it in the keck pile. .
          i think Mustard Greens is on one of the BBE comps, maybe a Jazz Spectrum, and i think i liked it - give us a shout if you're getting rid of it...

Comment

Originally posted by bongolia
            i think Mustard Greens is on one of the BBE comps, maybe a Jazz Spectrum, and i think i liked it - give us a shout if you're getting rid of it...
            Aye - will do.

Comment

Working...
            X