Sea Records May Day '05 Chart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sea Records May Day '05 Chart

Here, in a roughly accurate order, are some records I played at the Sea Records night round Southport way on Sunday. Fun night was had by all.

Ambulance - Witchi Tai To
    Cover of the Haper's Bizarre version of this Jim Pepper jazz update of a native American peyote chant that I'm putting out, on a Sea Records 12" in shop near you soon.

You Can't Do That - Nilsson
    From his ace Pandemonium Shadow Show album, Lennon's drinking buddy does a song where he robs off the famous bits from lots of famous Fab Four songs. Very groovy it is to, in a swinging, slightly pissed way.

Hurdy Gurdy Man - Eartha Kitt
    From an album where, the title suggests, she proves she is 'Not So Old-Fashioned'. A corker throughout, bit Scott Walker-y in its groovy beats meets chanson vocals. The whole thing is arranged and conducted by soundtrack bod Jimmy Haskell and was originally issued as 'Sentimental Eartha'. Not as good a title, I reckon.

Um, Um, Um, Um, Um, Um - Wayne Fontana and The Mindbenders
    Manchestershipcanalbeat 45 from 1964, covering (according to the credits) the 'Curtis/Mayfield' tune. On Fontana, appropriately enough.

Purple Eyes - Esther And Abi Ofarim
    Acid-y pop pysche from the best Israeli husband and wife duo I can think of. From the 'Up To Date' album on Philips.

Let Yourself Go - Elvis Presley
    Currently my favourite tune from The King, again nice and groovy. From the 'Speedway' soundtrack that also features Nancy Sinatra.

Hey Potatoes - Claude Francois
    Francophone 'Mashed Potatoes' grooves from the 'Belles! Belles! Belles!' French Fontana EP. Died changing a lightbulb this bloke, apparently.

We Love The Beatles - The Vernons Girls
    So, this is what Kim Wilde's mum did before she met up with Marty. Self-explanatory Fab Four rip-off/homage that I can't get enough of at the mo. On a London 45, that I think is a Canadian issue.

Dodecaphonie - Antoine Et Les Problemes
    French garage EP on Disques Vogue, sounds strangely like that Wire song that Elastica completely robbed off. Also featured on the front cover of the local paper with me looking through the middle, embarassingly.

Line And Track - The Aquamen
    More garage action on 45, this time from the States and on Hiback. I have a feeling Kim Fowley was involved with this - he certainly did stuff on this little label and it sounds like him - but don't quote me on that.

Willie And The Hand Jive - The Johnny Otis Show
    From nearly fifty years ago, a right r'n'b/r'n'r cracker about listening to rock and roll, annoying your parents and masturbating. As covered brilliantly - and scarily - by Cliff and The Shadows.

She Said (Tremolo Beer Gut Mix) - John Spencer Blues Explosion
    Incredible surf-pyche-horror-freakout version of their indie hit from a while ago, on the b-side to 'Shakin' Rock 'N' Roll Tonight'.

Sweet Pea - Manfred Mann
    Instrumental mod-hop, again on a Fontana 45 but this time from Germany. Top stuff.

The Black Queen's Beads - The Bob Crewe Generation Orchestra
    Hammond action from the Barbarella soundtrack, including 'the burning heat of bongos; the shrill shattering shriek of silver trumpets'.

Chicken Strut - The Meters
    It's simple for me. Play me a song with animal noises in and I'm yours. Especially one as downright funky as this.
    Last edited by Little Jimmy Oddman; 04-05-2005, 04:55 PM.
    Mixes, compilations and the like

A Hot Chart that makes me wish i was there.... Nice mix of Genres and Timelines....sure makes me happy I NEED the Ambulance 12"...and so do my customers
    Country be dyin like poor people do
    Hospitals be closing...doors to me and you (Lopazz - Blood)

And here's some other stuff that i get up to...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Serio...796469?fref=ts

Comment

It's off at the pressing plant as we speak. Test pressings within the week and proper records soon after that. Your customers can have as many as they want.

FYI: next Sea night features Ambulance live, which is a very good thing. Especially as I hear they're doing something 'different' for it. And as they're pretty 'different' anyway, I'm very excited.

Glad you liked the chart Matt, we'll have to get you across to play some records and have a dance.

Comment

ambulance 12"

any chance of the cdr or shall i wait for the vinyl?

cheers for now-like the chart a lot mate !!
        Rockwell
        Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Check your post box on the other side of the weekend and you never know what you'll get...

Comment

ambulance cdr ....

wow !

this really made my day - let me know when it comes out and i'll be first with the readies on offer !

many thanks jimmy o-i have this tune by harper's bizzare but these boys have turned into a beta band style mellow out with a really NOW feel ..

who are they ?

many thanks-tipper x
            Rockwell
            Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Glad you like it flytipper.

It shall be ready for your readies in the first week of June, you should be able to get it via the website as and when. With a bit of luck, shops should have it some time after that.

As for who they are, vaguely Liverpool based band, they did a version of So Solid Crew's 21 Seconds a while ago that got a fair bit of press and radio play. Very talented buggers, a real sight live as well.

Comment

Working...
              X