13 for Friday the 13th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13 for Friday the 13th

Some 45s that appeared over the last month + a few inspired by Viva Chiba’s chart & the arrival of the Plebs 45.

Some May arrivals:
    Senor Soul – The Mouse (Whiz)
    Great cheapie that I’ve been meaning to purchase. Good ‘un.

PI-R-Square – Fantasy Part 2 (Wee)
    Fuzzed out pyschedlic jazz number coutesy of Mr Soulful-Illusion.

Spirit Of Atlanta – Freddie’s Alive And Well (Buddah)
    What was Curtis on about?

Barbara Mason – You Better Stop It (Arctic)
    Beaver put this song on his CD for the funk45 swap last year and it slowly got under my skin. I must’ve played it hundreds of times since then and it still sounds fresh. This tune truly lives up to all the hype that seems to surround it. Living on the outskirts of Philly, I knew I would eventually find this 45 for a better price than it’s currently selling for on the ‘bay. Thankfully that finally happened. Pure class.

The Plebs - Babe I’m Gonna Leave You (US MGM)
    Finally managed to pick up a US pressing of this monster UK r’n’b 45. Before I heard Joyce Williams “First Thing I Do In the Morning” and became addicted to funk 45s, I was primarily after US pressings of UK 60s r’n’b and freakbeat. Somehow this 45 eluded me until today. I love how the band chugs along and the singer is at his own pace, so soulful, so mournful. Brilliant.

+ Some 45s pulled from the box for a Friday the 13th the-wife’s-out-of-town, turn-the-music-up-and-annoy-the-hell-out-of-the-neighbors rave-up:

The Trend – Shot on Sight (US Fontana)
    First heard this on a ‘Hipshakers’ cassette years ago. Heavy drums propel this slice of UK insanity.

Tony Jackson & The Vibrations – Watch Your Step (Canadian Pye)
    If it didn’t come out in the States, perhaps it came out in Canada.....so frenetic they seem like they may almost fall apart.

Shocking Blue – Send Me A Postcard (US Colussus)
    Stumbled upon this small-hole 331/3 jukebox EP of this amazing track about 5 years ago in a dollar bin. Never seen a promo or stock US release of this classic tune, and I can’t find anything about a US pressing on the net. Anyone?

Corduroys – Too Much Of A Woman (US Planet)
    One of my favorites from the Planet label. Nothing fancy, just solid r’n’b.

The Cops’n’Robbers – St. James Infirmary (UK Decca)
    Granted, this 45 will take you on a bad trip, but it is such a heavy version of the blues classic I had to mention it. Besides, it's Friday the 13th, and we need something dark. My vote for the best cover of this tune ever. Crushing.

The Dakotas – Seven Pounds of Potatoes (UK Page One)
    I found this on Gemm several years ago along with Jet Harris’ killer “My Lady” 45 from the same record dealer. Fantastic r’n’b tune (especially like the guitar plucking and scratching), although I have never been able to figure out what he’s singing about. Is ‘7 lbs. of potatoes’ a metaphor? A British euphemism? Am I just thick? Someone help me out here.

The Zephyrs – There’s Something About You / She’s Lost You (US Rotate)
    Great 2-sider. Not far from the popular beat sound of the time, but the songs are well written and nicely executed. I forgot how much I liked this.

The Richard Kent Style – Go Go Children (US Coral demo)
    I’m saving the best for last here. Top notch freakbeat tune that I managed to get in a trade for a record in my collection that I didn’t much care for. The US release is slightly different than the UK 45, as they’ve left out the guitar solo. Still can’t believe this got a stateside release.
    http://three-sixty-five45s.blogspot.com/

great chart very much on my tip...
    I was equally suprised that you say the Richard Kent has a U.S. press...how is this so? There were definately quite a few British FreakBeat/Beat/RnB worldwide releases and i must admit that it's a great way of getting some choice tunes a lot cheaper but i generally find Australian/European pressings but not many US releases...I'm pleased to hear Go Go Chil...er...an...must have had a release but by your listing it's a demo release...was this a radio release?Or a Test Pressing?

I'm guessing there must be a great deal still out there especially with the Mersey Boom...i suppose there were alot of frantic atlantic phone calls to sign up any and every beat group around for a period...wonder how many defunct offices were recipients of some slabs of prime British wax...it was custom to send whole label discography's (in vinyl form) as an example of the quality of talent on offer plus there was alot of wax sent over to the states' many many record shops...and fortunately for us it's possible to do a Barrymore and strike it lucky whilst browsing through some US recordshop lists...
    What does excite me is the possibility of more things turning up on US labels and the alternate versions that must be out there...plus the probability of 45 pressings from some "lost tapes" long since destroyed...hmmm just think....

Like i said before...great chart
    Country be dyin like poor people do
    Hospitals be closing...doors to me and you (Lopazz - Blood)

And here's some other stuff that i get up to...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Serio...796469?fref=ts

Comment

Shifty, 'GoGo Children' got a general public issue on Coral too - it crops up on ebay regularly but goes for silly money - considering it isn't a UK press...

definitely the best way to obtain UK freakbeat + psych sevens is via Australian issues as they tend to be issued on the same labels as their UK predecessors (and they don't have the jukebox-sized holes in them)

DJR, nice call on the Trend 45 - one of my alltime faves
      new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

The Richard Kent Style 45 is a radio station release. I've not seen a stock release...I wonder if that has the same exact version as the UK release? May have to try & track that down.

It is interesting what was released in the States, especially the titles that were USA only. I'm thinking of the Moments 45, Steve Marriott's pre-Small Faces group. Another one I know of is the Preachers 45 that was featured on the 'Clap Hands, Daddy Come Home' comp on Dig The Fuzz. Great 45, it's ashamed that the pressing isn't that great. I've been able to find 2 copies, and both are a bit noisy. I'm sure there must be others, just haven't come across them.

Next month I'll dig out a few more. With the arrival of the Plebs 45, my interest in r'n'b / freakbeat / garage 45s has been revived. I'll be keeping an eye on Aussie pressings....
        http://three-sixty-five45s.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by djr
          Barbara Mason – You Better Stop It (Arctic)
          This tune truly lives up to all the hype that seems to surround it. Living on the outskirts of Philly, I knew I would eventually find this 45 for a better price than it’s currently selling for on the ‘bay. Thankfully that finally happened. Pure class.
          Tune sir, tune... I am infinitely jealous!

I turned over Shively's in November last year looking for one of these and draw a big fat blank - congrats on finding one!
          If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

yummy.
            MODZ
            Hero No.9
            Last edited by Col Wolfe; 09-12-2009 at 10:37 PM.
            THERE MIGHT BE ANOTHER CRIPZ AT SOME POINT ITS HARD TO SAY

Comment

Originally posted by Sie Vulture
              Tune sir, tune... I am infinitely jealous!

I turned over Shively's in November last year looking for one of these and draw a big fat blank - congrats on finding one!
              Babs Mason is a top tune....I've been playing this on the soul scene for a few years now..always get's a good reaction.....All her other Arctic releases ie Bobby is my baby , Nobody etc are cheap and readily available but this track is very elusive......
              Athough a friend of mine got lucky via trades and ended up paying the princley sum of &#163;40 ......I'll keep a my eyes open for one for you......

Comment

Working...
              X