At Home With The Flytipper..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At Home With The Flytipper..

SOME RECORDS THAT WERE BY THE DECKS AFTER A RATHER LATE NIGHT / MORNING....

NINA BADEN SEMPER-SONGS FOR MY NEIGHBOURS [PYE / GOLDEN GUINEA L.P 1973] - i dug this out to prove to a friend that it existed-i found this earlier in the year for the price of a packet of candy cigarettes.
    Some of the more discerning vultures will recognize Nina as ' Barbie' from the 70's comedy [?] sitcom 'Love Thy Neighbour ' -apparently this programme is still big down under - make of that what you will!
    The music?
    i would love to tell you it was a funk / soul treasure trove but the truth of it is that it's really rubbish . There is nothing good about this record - nothing.

ROGER WEBB - THE GENTLE TOUCH [CHANDOS L.P 1981]
    I feel I should hate this record but I can't.
    The only track I like is THE GENTLE TOUCH and I’m almost a bit unsure about that - it must be a nostalgia thing, but as a skinny teen i wouldn't have realized that Norma winstone was on vocals and a whole host of scene heavyweights such as Duncan Lamont, Tony Carr and Dave Richmond were all in attendance. The vibe is very Hammer House of Horror, wordless vocals and mellow electric keys - I believe Roger did the theme to the Hammer series too.
    Anyone got the 7"?

NICK DE CARO AND HIS ORCHESTRA - HAPPY HEART [1968? A+M L.P]
    I picked this up for Nick's take on Big Brian Wilson's 'Caroline No' - he does something almost unthinkable with this lament and turns it something even more sparse and intimate...it really works a treat and makes this album my one-tracker of the moment !
    Despite employing some name dudes such as Hal Blaine and Earl Palmer [David Axelrod drummer] the rest of the album doesn't really go anywhere, a reasonable take on Komeda's spooked 'Lullaby from Rosemary's Baby' almost saves the day!

DONALD BYRD - ELECTRIC BYRD [BLUE NOTE L.P 1970]
    Rediscovered this recently - the big track is 'The Dude ' a funky jazz monster that really hits the spot, Duke Pearson, Airto and Wally [Soul Guru] Richardson are all strutting their stuff - the remaining three tracks [all clocking in at over 10 minutes each] are the ones I have been listening to of late - the best way I can describe them is to try [if you can bear with me here!] to imagine a noisy version of 'In a Silent Way ‘.....sounds odd but that is what I get when I play this album, a little less restrained than Miles and all the better for it.

KIKI DEE – GREAT EXPECTATIONS [TAMLA L.P 1970]
    There’s nothing here to rival the Northern Soul monster ‘On a Magic Carpet Ride ‘but I thought you might to see the sleeve!
    She was the first white British act to be on Tamla which is pretty cool and then of course she met silly little Elton John and ruined any chance of ever being regarded as anything other than average – her first album ‘I’m Kiki Dee’ on Fontana has a couple of moments too. After listening to this I have to reach for the recent double Chris Clark retrospective CD-proper white soul with a lysergic edge.
    File under Krap.

TONY SCOTT – MUSIC FOR ZEN MEDITATION [VERVE L.P 1964]
    I heard this guy on of those Verve remixed Albums a while back and decided to check out a couple of his albums – this predates the hippy stuff and sounds great at 4:30 AM just as day is breaking over my garden and the red wine is wearing off.
    Now who’s a Hippy?!

DION – SUITE FOR LATE SUMMER [WARNERS L.P 1972]
    Just Dion DiMucci and some mates getting all reflective on us, the aforementioned Nick De Caro plays organ and accordion, Sneaky Pete is on pedal steel and the Byrd’s Gene Parsons is also taking in some California sunshine.
    All about escaping the city and getting it together in the country, a man after my own heart!

MICHAEL NESMITH – AND THE HITS JUST KEEP ON COMIN’ [PACIFIC ARTS L.P 1972]
    Just Mike and Red Rhodes taking their Cosmic Country down to an almost too honest and beautiful level that I never ever tire of listening to.
    Contains the classic ‘Different Drum’ that was a hit earlier for Linda Rondstat’s Stone Poneys [their first two albums contain some nice sitar tracks with a country folk vibe] as far as late night listening goes this is up there with Townes Van Zandt and some of Gram Parsons more introverted moments. It’s not all obscure Polish Jazz round our place you know!

JOHN BARRY –THE KNACK…..AND HOW TO GET IT OST [UNITED ARTISTS L.P 1965]
    Just one of those soundtracks you can play right through and it never fails to impress me – Alan Haven plays his organ and some geezer called Johnny De Little provides us with a smooth vocal take on the main theme, the track ‘Something’s Up!’ provides us with some great jazz / wordless vocal interplay – atmosphere to the maximum !
    One of my favourite scores by John Barry, talking of which…

JOHN BARRY – THE IPCRESS FILE OST [DECCA L.P 1965]
    Two great soundtracks in one year…spy jazz at its finest.
    A perfect score for this icy, cold war masterpiece.
    Portishead were obviously fans….
    Makes me want to buy a Russian hat and take up smoking – apparently John was influenced by the Third Man score and instead of getting a Zither player he imported a strange instrument from Hungary called a CIMBALOM.
    A massively influential soundtrack.
    Last edited by Sie-Fly; 04-08-2005, 12:26 PM.
    Rockwell
    Banned (DJ Anchovy)
Working...
X