2nd pitch chart summer05

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd pitch chart summer05

Here is my second quarterly chart - and boy it get's harder! For the first ever one you can add a few classics from several years of hunting - but the second really is the result of 3 months searching. So not too many fireworks but hopefully something for everyone - a mixed bag...

Al Caiola – Sounds for Spies and Private Eyes (United Artists 1965)

Didn’t know much about this one – but how can it be anything but great with a cover like that! It has some lovely swinging brassy spy tunes with great twanging guitar from Mr Caiola himself and some fine keyboard work too. Stand out tracks are ‘Underwater Chase’ (by Leroy Holmes, who produced the LP), ‘Man from UNCLE’, ‘Man of Mystery’ and a sexy sultry ‘Bronze Doll’ (by Caiola himself).

The Power Pack Orchestra (produced Gordon Lorenz) – A is for Action (MFP 1985)

A little late for me usually – 80s is surely a bit of a no-go for this kind of LP? However hadn’t seen it before and had to give it a go – great tracklist – Magnum, Knight Rider, Professionals, Starsky and Hutch, A-Team etc etc… And it is actually not all bad - slightly different versions from the usual favourites (the chessey casio keyboard with saxophone version of James Bond theme was worth the price of admission alone! Add to this the bizarre version of The Good the Bad the Ugly – more chessey keyboards and the best ‘ohh ahhs’ you’ve ever heard), but also a couple of tracks / themes I did not know – ‘Shoe String’ and a Tangerine Dream penned ‘Street Hawk’ (very Miami Vice). All in all a curiosity at best – for theme-nuts only I guess.

First Cosins Jazz Ensemble – For The Coz Of Jazz (Capitol 1977)

A Stu Gardner vehicle this one – with Bill Cosby credited as Music Consultant. Some good funky jazzy stuff – nice synths from Stu himself. Choice tracks: Flat Meat, Funky Johnson, Banana Peel and Fit-it to the Rhythm (the final and standout track – a great bass-led workout).

Poet and the One Man Band – ST (Verve Forecast 1969)

Another great cover – I hadn’t heard of the LP but it looked right. This was a surprise – a bit folky, a bit psychedelic and laidback funky. I have since discovered that this funkiness is not altogether surprising as the band were the backing band for Shirley Bassey’s Something LP! Apparently they became the more well-known ‘Heads, Hands and Feet’ – but I haven’t heard any of their stuff… The first track ‘Please me, she’s me’ is fantastic – and the LP just gets better (I kind of recognise the track ‘Jacqueline’ but not sure from where). A rich and beautiful combination of vocal harmonies, basslines, Hammond organ, great drumming – what more can you want – Surprising that they didn’t work on any other Johnny Harris solo stuff as it sounds very ‘Movements’ in places. Ends with a transformation from countrified track to church organ led Beatlesque ‘Twilight Zone’ – wow.

Design – Day of the Fox (EMI Regal 1973)

This starts off with almost ‘Free Design’ inspired track ‘Nature’s Children’ – then a pure folk track – but then comes a cover of ‘I feel the Earth Moved’ which is strangely effective – congos and harmonies, very Sergio Mendes – I am sure this must be well known to Vinyl Vultures – if not it should be. For some reason I thought this LP would be a bit ‘CCS’, with Herbie Flower’s involvement along with Barry Morgan and Tony Carr (drummers on CCS) but it is much more folk-tinged with a bit of Fifth Dimension. Other good tracks ‘Pisces Hymn (bit prog), Yellow Bird and When Morning Comes. This is their 3rd album – anyone know if the others are any good?

Phillip Goodhand-Tait – Rehearsal (DJM 1971)

Got this one on the strength of Denis Lopez being listed alongside the Westminster Boys Choir and PP Arnold. Can’t go wrong with that line up! Starts off with two gospel-inflected tunes (‘Climb aboard my bus’ being my favourite) then it becomes more expected singer-songwriter fare…then a bit honkey-tonk… and back to gospel / soul (Lean on Me). Side 2 has a couple of soulful numbers ‘Tramp’ and the great Beatlesy ‘Run see the Sun’. With some unexpected Moog making occasional appearances, this is an eclectic but pleasurable experience.

Richard Digance – England’s Green and Pleasant Land (Transatlantic 1974)

No beats, no breaks – no dancefloor fillers here… but it does feature the West Ham North Bank Male Voice Choir. Are they still going, I wonder? Part of my new folk / transatlantic obsession. If you like this kind of thing then this is a great example. Apparently he went on to become a comedian – bit like Billy Connolly then… I particularly like the title track – very stirring. Also ‘The Hijacker’ is very prophetic and topical now (hijacking of a plane) – and surprisingly funky. It ends with the upbeat ‘Mr Jailer’ with great sing-along finale. Billy Bragg - eat your heart out.

Randy Pie – Highway Driver (Polydor 1974)

Curiously filed under ‘heavy metal’ – it sure isn’t… pulsating rhythms, funky prog, jazzy, wah wah, brassy plus strings – Stand out tracks: Microfilm (funky prog), Super Sid (jazzy), Highway Driver (disco funk) – and that’s just side one, in fact no duff tracks… I think the band hails from Germany so maybe it’s Kraut Rock, who knows. Anyway it features some lovely stuff from the Hamburg Sound Orchestra.

The Peddlers – Tell the world we’re not in (7”) EMI 1972

Been looking for this for ages – picked it up on ebay at last. Every bit as wonderful as I was told it would be. It’s from the film soundtrack ‘Goodbye Gemini’. Great hammond, great vocal etc, etc. Along with ‘Steel Mill’ (B-side to Birth 7”) that makes two of their best tracks not on their LPs. Typical.

Pete Sinfield – Still (Manticore 1973)

A beauty! ‘Under the sky’ track is up there with John Martyn’s Solid Air – a gentle jazzy trip. The rest of the album is pretty eclectic – I think he had previously played with King Crimson - so it’s a bit folky, country, jazzy, psychedelic, but it is a unique vision. ‘Envelopes of Yesterday’ is an epic work the heart of the album. Can’t think who he reminds me of – maybe a bit of Donovan and Cat Stevens…. Pastoral comes to mind, though what that actually means – I don’t know.
    Last edited by pitch; 06-06-2005, 01:49 AM. Reason: forgot the intro bit...
    "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

I love that Al Caiola album. I originally bought it for the Mrs. (who's a spy-jazz nut) but found that i'd rather keep it for myself ;-) Some of his other albums have some great stuff on them too.

I'll be keeping them peeled for 'Poet and the One Man Band' - Verve Forcast seems to be a label to look out for.

Oh, and i'm pretty sure that Peddlers track is on their album that's meant to look like a matchbook, although I do have the Goodbye Gemini OST so maybe i'm getting them confused.

Jamie.
    https://soundcloud.com/basicbasic

Comment

Originally posted by pitch

Design – Day of the Fox (EMI Regal 1973)

This starts off with almost ‘Free Design’ inspired track ‘Nature’s Children’ – then a pure folk track – but then comes a cover of ‘I feel the Earth Moved’ which is strangely effective – congos and harmonies, very Sergio Mendes – I am sure this must be well known to Vinyl Vultures – if not it should be. For some reason I thought this LP would be a bit ‘CCS’, with Herbie Flower’s involvement along with Barry Morgan and Tony Carr (drummers on CCS) but it is much more folk-tinged with a bit of Fifth Dimension. Other good tracks ‘Pisces Hymn (bit prog), Yellow Bird and When Morning Comes. This is their 3rd album – anyone know if the others are any good?
      Excellent choice! I don't think Design are as well known as they deserve to be, and their first 3 LPs are all extremely worthwhile. All are produced by library legend Syd Dale and all feature lots of input from the likes of Hawkshaw, Coulam, Chris Spedding etc etc, though they were a proper band, not a studio concoction, insofar as I can glean any information (there were 6 of them, all from different backgrounds and all contributing original material). Anyway, the best LPs are the first two - both came out on Epic, the first is S/T, the second is 'Tomorrow Is So Far Away', and the first is folkier, the second more uptempo, though both fall into that kind of UK Free Design kind of sound - there's a killer track called 'Take A Boat' on 'TISFA' which I think has been on a few VV cd-r mixes recently. They switched to EMI with 'Day Of The Fox' (that pure folk title track is superb, I think!) and there are 3 EMI LPs. The others are 'In Flight' (which has a few nice tracks, but is veering more into MOR territory overall) and 'By Design' (which I gather - I've yet to find this cheaply enough to punt on it - is almost entirely MOR). I think someone mentioned some 45s he'd seen once, but I don't know if these have non-LP tracks, or what the titles were. Haven't turned any up as yet myself... Very underrated UK band, though. I like those first 3 albums a lot.
      Last edited by wayne; 06-06-2005, 03:44 AM.
      a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Richard Digance (pitch VV chart)...

Originally posted by pitch

Richard Digance – England’s Green and Pleasant Land (Transatlantic 1974)

...Apparently he went on to become a comedian – bit like Billy Connolly then…
        Mr Digance is nowadays a regular guest (and one of the most entertaining) in dictionary corner on "Countdown" - i've been addicted to it for the last couple of years, having totally ignored it for the previous 20...a sure sign of middle-age setting in!
        i also noticed that he's billed as part of the Fairport Convention/folkie/real ale Cropredy Festival, that's on later this year, if anyone's interested...

GtG
        all it takes for evil to flourish...hopefully you know the rest?

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio Paradise
          Oh, and i'm pretty sure that Peddlers track is on their album that's meant to look like a matchbook, although I do have the Goodbye Gemini OST so maybe i'm getting them confused.
          'Three In A Cell'. I'd much rather have the 45 though.
          You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Hero
            'Three In A Cell'. I'd much rather have the 45 though.
            Is it not "Three for All"?

I want that 45 too. There's another 45 with a killer B - can't remember what it is called but he plays the hammond through a Wah Wah.
            "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by LDJB
              Is it not "Three for All"?

Doh! As ever Lee, you're right. I remembered it had 'Three' in the title but trust me to get the wrong one.

Oh look! CAREC has a VG- 45 for £31!!!
              You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Hero

Doh! As ever Lee, you're right.
                If only

I think the other 45 I was alluding to was called 'Back Alley Sally' or some such
                "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by LDJB
                  If only

I think the other 45 I was alluding to was called 'Back Alley Sally' or some such
                  'Back Alley Jane' actually - with 'Nothing Sacred' on the B-side.
                  I didn't realise that 'Tell the world' was on 'Three for All' LP - should have listened to it rather better...but, as you say, it is nice having the single.

Wayne - thanks for info on other Design LPs - they sound just as good as this one!
                  "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                  X