X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sie's Finds - January 2006

SIE VULTURE'S JANUARY 2006 CHART

Various Artists "Battle Axe" (Trojan)

Another month, another Trojan album - and this one's a real beauty too... Produced by and written (in most part) by Lee Perry, it features tracks from The Upsetters, Delroy Wilson, Jnr Byles and Ras Darkins. plenty of top reggae action on this - "Place Called Africa", "Cool Operator" the splendidly fun "Pop-A-Pop" by Andy Capp plus a load of top instrumentals from The Upsetters.

Siegfried Fink "Talking Drums" (Thorofon)

Found this in a suburban branch of Oxfam a couple of weeks ago. A whole LP of drums recorded in the late 1960's in Berlin and featuring a seven-piece ensemble of percussionists. There's one or two nice bossa/samba tracks on this as well as the usual clatter bang whallop of free drum-based jazz. And there'sa couple of hellish breaks, too...

Life & Inspiration "Vida E Inspiracion" (Decca)

Bit of an oddity this, well to me anyway. Had to buy it blind without listening to it and with the limited production and personnel notes on the flip of the sleeve, I kinda guessed this was some latin rock business... And I wasn't wrong - there's a mix of originals and covers, including "Catch The Wind" and "Sunshine Superman", all sung in Spanish (I think!). "Sunshine Superman" is probably the best track on this... It's all a bit too pop/rock for me in parts, can see this making it onto the trades pile soon... Perhaps just one more listen through...

The Marion Gaines Singers "This Too Is Gospel" (Truth)

Most folks are looking for the first of Ms Gaines' gospel LP's on this Stax righteous offshoot - and rightly so. But don't forget about this, the second album, as you can find it for buttons and the version of "Wade In The Water" is pretty good. Plus, it segues quite nicely into a version of "Grandma's Hands", a song that suits the gospel style perfectly.

Jackie Mittoo "Hot Blood" (Third World)

I got this in a trade deal with a record shop and I'm always pleased to get my mitts on quality Mittoo gear. Okay, perhaps not some of his best work, but still a pretty solid LP. It's a little later (1978) that the likes of "Wishbone" and Jackie's using some damn cheesy keyboards of the time, rather than the dependable B3. It does rather spoil the effect somewhat... Doesn't spoil "Earthquake" though; a great big stoned groove with Mittoo tinkling the keys over the top.

David Baker "Eight Classic Jazz Originals (J.A.)

Thanks to the Philly connection and AEIOU who sent this LP over in Santa's sack. A jazz instruction album of stripped-down instrumentals of just bass and drums. The album is a pretty reasonable listen, then gets ultra funky on "Le Miroir Noir" - a very funky bassline takes a walk over some snappy syncopated drums.

David Porter "Victim Of The Joke? - An Opera" (Enterprise)

Took a punt on this - the vinyl's a bit crackly but the flap sleeve is remarkably still intact. The album is labelled 'concept' because of the spoken stories between the tracks; personally I say skip through them and enjoy the superstar soul of "If I Give It Up, I Want It Back" and the extended lazy jam of "I'm Afraid The Masquerade Is Over", complete with famous spoken word/drum break.

Clarence Wheeler & The Enforcers "Doin' What We Wanna" (Atlantic)

File this one under "great albums you wish you'd bought years ago". Opens with a great organ-driven "Hey Jude" before moving on to the fantastic "Sham Time" - top drawer sax from Wheeler over a funky groove. On the flip side, the band stay in funk mode with "Right On". The title track's a belter too. Solid album, if you ask me...

Buddy Montgomery "This Rather Than That" (Impulse)

This LP is 36 years old and was in absolutely perfect MINT condition, vinyl and sleeve - not many chances these days you get to say that, is it? Anyway, to the music... It's a really decent mixed bag of numbers, with ol' Buddy adding piano and vibes to a range of tempos from the band. The opening title track and the closing "Winding Up" are my current faves - both loaded with organ and Fender bass. Nice!

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

keep it comin' Mr V. Moucho splendido plastica.
    MODZ
    Hero No.9
    Last edited by Col Wolfe; 09-12-2009 at 10:37 PM.
    THERE MIGHT BE ANOTHER CRIPZ AT SOME POINT ITS HARD TO SAY

Comment

Never the 45s Sie? You look so hard in that avatar. See you tomorrow.
      High on my own supply.

Comment

Originally posted by cal
        Never the 45s Sie? You look so hard in that avatar. See you tomorrow.
        ... basically, coz my shite digi camera can't take pics of 45's...

See you tomorrow buddy.. there will be 45's then!

... Oh, check out my 45's in the General Natter section... five before midnite last nite...
        If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Working...
        X