Normal crisps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Normal crisps

Does anybody still buy 'normal crisps', the ones in the small bags that are not 'artisan made', or 'gourmet' versions. I don't see them about unless they are in multi-packs. Can one still buy a packet of Golden Wonder 'plain' crisps?
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
    Does anybody still buy 'normal crisps', the ones in the small bags that are not 'artisan made', or 'gourmet' versions. I don't see them about unless they are in multi-packs. Can one still buy a packet of Golden Wonder 'plain' crisps?
    You never see Golden Wonder anywhere do you - but they still exist according to their website: https://goldenwonder.com/products/gw-ready-salted/

My wife loves Walkers "plain" crisps - I went off them when they started using rapeseed oil to fry them in - doesn't taste right to me

Comment

Originally posted by SirSlim View Post

You never see Golden Wonder anywhere do you - but they still exist according to their website: https://goldenwonder.com/products/gw-ready-salted/

My wife loves Walkers "plain" crisps - I went off them when they started using rapeseed oil to fry them in - doesn't taste right to me
      I'm probably not looking very hard but it seems to me 'Walkers' is all there is, unless you want to buy large bags of 'Gourmet Chips'- I don't think they even call them crisps.

I see Golden Wonder (whither Smiths crisps I wonder?) advertise Smoky Bacon. I'd have thought that was Smokey with an 'e'. Smoky don't look roight.

I also remember Hedgehog crisps.

Comment

whither Smiths crisps I wonder
        Swallowed up by Walkers...

http://www.walkers.co.uk/crisps-rang...sps/saltnshake

Comment

Originally posted by SirSlim View Post
          They've re-badged salt and shake! The swines. I'm old enough to remember when they had long been obsolete and were then reintroduced as an exciting new way to eat your crisps. God! We were so easily pleased back then.

Comment

They've re-badged salt and shake! The swines. I'm old enough to remember when they had long been obsolete and were then reintroduced as an exciting new way to eat your crisps. God! We were so easily pleased back then.
            And I'm old enough to remember them first time 'round when of course they had the little twist of salt not the pre-sealed little packet.

Comment

Originally posted by candiman View Post

And I'm old enough to remember them first time 'round when of course they had the little twist of salt not the pre-sealed little packet.
              Crazy tuck shop moves

Comment

Cripes! Could you get them on your ration book?

Comment

I've just been reminded of Seabrooks crisps. I was asking Mrs SK about crisps last night, and we were both trying to remember what the crisps were that had a predominantly white packet. Neither of us could remember but this morning someone jogged my memory and it was Seabrooks we were trying to remember. I'm not surprised Mrs SK couldn't remember; women tend not to fill their heads with useless information. I haven't seen those in ages. I don't know if there is a regional slant to crisps. Around here it's all 'Tyrrells' and 'Kettle Chips'. A few years ago there were 'Burts' but they've vanished. They had a paprika flavour which I liked but I generally stick to 'plain' or Salt und Vinegar. You can't beat the classics. I can't go anywhere near cheese and onion.

Comment

I've just been reminded of Seabrooks crisps. I was asking Mrs SK about crisps last night, and we were both trying to remember what the crisps were that had a predominantly white packet. Neither of us could remember but this morning someone jogged my memory and it was Seabrooks we were trying to remember. I'm not surprised Mrs SK couldn't remember; women tend not to fill their heads with useless information. I haven't seen those in ages. I don't know if there is a regional slant to crisps. Around here it's all 'Tyrrells' and 'Kettle Chips'. A few years ago there were 'Burts' but they've vanished. They had a paprika flavour which I liked but I generally stick to 'plain' or Salt und Vinegar. You can't beat the classics. I can't go anywhere near cheese and onion.
                    Not heard of Seabrooks - but they also seem to be still in production:

Comment

I. I can't go anywhere near cheese and onion.
                      Me neither.

Think i've seen Seabrook's recently.

Tried Brussel Sprout flavour the other day. Not bad, except they were a distinct green colour, which may lend them some authenticity re the flavour but is just not crisp cricket.

Comment

Tried Brussel Sprout flavour the other day. Not bad, except they were a distinct green colour, which may lend them some authenticity re the flavour but is just not crisp cricket.
                        That may be just about the most ridiculous flavour of crisp I've ever heard. I expect there are worse but they're not known to me. What an abomination.

Comment

Seabrooks used to have a clear window in the packet, and were always crinkle cut. Definitely regional - we used to get them when we went to see relatives in North Yorkshire.

Avoid a brand called "Corkers" - had them recently and they were dreadful

Comment

Originally posted by bongolia View Post
                            Seabrooks used to have a clear window in the packet, and were always crinkle cut. Definitely regional - we used to get them when we went to see relatives in North Yorkshire.

Avoid a brand called "Corkers" - had them recently and they were dreadful
                            Well Seabrooks clearly saw the error of their only crinkle-cut ways as the illustration above shows. I'm not a fan of crinkle cut- makes the crisp too thick.

Never heard of them. I looked up Corkers and Waitrose was the first place that came up. We don't have a Waitrose here so I'm avoiding them without realising it. I also looked up 'Burts' looks like they're still in the 'gourmet chip' game but Paprika is off the menu. Idiots; Paprika was their trump card

I know crisps are the enemy but if Mrs SK is away I've been known to have them as a meal, with a bottle of beer, and I'd much rather walk through a city with a bag of crisps than mess around sitting down to eat. I'm not a fan of eating- it's a huge waste of time and money. Unfortunately in this house I buy the food and I cook the food. It's madness.

Comment

Seabrooks are excellent taste and value. It's a fine measure of a public house to stock a range of Seabrooks crisps.

I am a particular fan of very sharp tasting salt and vinegar crisps. About five years ago Walkers brought out a more intense version of these, which I think it has discontinued. Now, my favourite sharp salt and vinegar snacks are these beauties:

https://www.kpnuts.com/kp_product/salt-vinegar/

Absolutely delicious.

Anyone remember these, on a sharp tip

http://www.kpsnacks.com/brand/brannigans/

Any other recommendations for an intensely flavoured, salt and vinegar style snack gladly taken.
                              Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Working...
                              X