King Rocker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King Rocker

Anyone in the UK see King Rocker about the Nightingales? I'd love to see it but I don't have Sky Arts or whatever the channel is ...
    "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

I was watching something else and I have that old fashioned system where I can't record one channel if I'm watching another so I only caught the end of it, where he was talking about his betting and knocking back pills for his various ailments. Stewart lee looking very Grizzly Adams It's on again soon in the middle of the night so I've set the recorder.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
      I was watching something else and I have that old fashioned system where I can't record one channel if I'm watching another so I only caught the end of it, where he was talking about his betting and knocking back pills for his various ailments. Stewart lee looking very Grizzly Adams It's on again soon in the middle of the night so I've set the recorder.
      I missed it too - so was looking out for a repeat - cheers SK off to set the "video".

Comment

I was living in Birmingham at the time The Nightingales were going. I was never a huge fan, but now, I'm glad they exist in the same way that I am glad that Mark E Smith existed and cantankerously kept on going. Quintessentially English.

Comment

It was great, less for the music and more for Lee and Lloyd wandering around England talking about life, and making each other laugh. The history of The Prefects and Birmingham music was v well done, they even get John Taylor popping up to talk about The Nightingales, and that whole scene. It's generally a very enjoyable ramble through one mans (fairly unconventional) life.

Comment

Looking forward to it.

Comment

Just to chip in on this for those who might not know - Sky Arts is now on Freeview, channel 11 (I think) so there's no need to have a Sky subscription. I haven't checked for repeats though.

I loved King Rocker. I was only really vaguely aware of the Nightingales but I love Stewart Lee. The documentary was a heartwarming joy that I'd recommend to anyone, whether they like the band or not. I laughed aloud several times.

And the evidence seems to show that their current line-up of the band is very strong so it might do their careers some good.

Now to go and watch the new Adam Curtis thing...

Comment

Originally posted by Skip View Post

I loved King Rocker. I was only really vaguely aware of the Nightingales but I love Stewart Lee. The documentary was a heartwarming joy that I'd recommend to anyone, whether they like the band or not. I laughed aloud several times.
                "must get myself a box of matches, was a song made famous by Frank Sinatra"

Got round to watching this last week - and have to agree with Skip here. Spot on summary of the doc. Most enjoyable.

I heard a lot of The Nightingales backintheday via listening to John Peel religiously, but the only one that really hit me hard was the acapella "my opinion". Hearing it again after all this time - I can't now get it out of my head...

Comment

Working...
                X