Galactic Ramble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galactic Ramble

Does anyone have an opinion on the new 1000 page Galactic Ramble?

I'd like to have an opinion on it, but haven't taken the plunge to fork out for a copy yet. I've got the latest copies of Tapestry of Delights, so wondering if it covers different territory, or just does it better? Interested to hear others' opinions on it - looks like you can still get copies from the publishers for £60 + £12 postage in the UK, though other channels are already pushing it for well over £100 ...

Comment

I have it. Massive, well produced book that carries a wealth of research (both in terms of what's out there and the merits or otherwise of individual releases). The latter is divided into current opinion (delivered by contemporary writers/collectors) and cuttings from the press at time of release.

It's a quality production put together by people with deep collections and an archival sensibility, basically.

Whether you'll find it useful is a different question. I can see two uses: firstly as a reference book concerning release dates, details, etc; secondly as something to browse (rather like a magazine) in increasing one's knowledge of the field and finding new releases you suspect you might like.

I like that it is opinionated—opinions are useful—but obviously your tastes may differ from the reviewers. There's often, but by no means always, more than one reviewer per release.

Do I have the time to read it and get as much out of it as I could? No, but that goes for lots of books I have.
      Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Working...
      X