Clear All

• andy kaufman

surely the greatest talk show appearance of all time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU2Xt...elated&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkKhu...elated&search=

and surely the greatest variety show performance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSYV-nEE300

Comment

Sorry, not for me!! Kaufman belongs in a long list of irritating 'wacky' US comedians like Jim Carrey (alright, alright I know he 's Canadian!!), Robin Williams, Steve Martin and going all the way back.....Jerry Lewis. Too busy 'breaking the boundaries' to actually be funny!!

....feel free to correct me on this and call me an ignoramus!!
      "Here comes the Fun Cooker!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Slim Jim View Post
        Sorry, not for me!! Kaufman belongs in a long list of irritating 'wacky' US comedians like Jim Carrey (alright, alright I know he 's Canadian!!), Robin Williams, Steve Martin and going all the way back.....Jerry Lewis. Too busy 'breaking the boundaries' to actually be funny!!

Genius or not he must have been an almighty pain in the ass to have around the place.

Comment

No no no no noooo way!

Andy Kaufman has nothing in common with any of the names you mention - he's in a league of his own, yes even in a world of his own - yes, he was out of this world or at least out of touch with our world and reality - a classic case of the "mentally ill genius" except he used his geniality to entertain instead of painting/writing/science like is much more common.

I HATE Robin Williams and can not accept seeing Andy's name mentioned alongside his!

I do quite like Steve Martin though (OOOOOOOOOKLAHOMA OKLAHOMA OKLAHOMA OKLAHOMA) and hated Jim Carrey at first until he started proving his worth as a real actor in more clever movies, like Truman Show and...

MAN ON THE MOON - where he portrays Andy Kaufman in a brilliant fashion - this movie is essential for you to watch immediately ( ) since it:
          a) tells the real story of Andy Kaufman
          b) proves to you that Jim Carrey is actually a good actor

Then you may wish to read Lost in the Funhouse too - the biography that the movie is based on, with lots of additional stories.

If you still hate Andy after that - you are a hopeless case... (well, no not really, everybody are entitled to their opinions - I just happen to feel strongly about mine in this case)
          "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
          and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

i dont think he was trying to break any boudaries at all. he said himself that he wasnt a comedian, he was all about entertainment.
            watch that 1st vid, he comes out wearing a turban and a nappy, does a crazy yoga move, swallows a sword, then performs a lovely version of Rosemarie. entertainment!

And I thought the 'I trusted you' vid would be appreciated on here, if only for the bassline. makes me laugh anyway.

Comment

I want to see the letterman show after that one...

peewee herman
              devo
              doctor ruth
              odd dogs

sounds great

Comment

I've seen 'Man On The Moon' and if he hadn't already been dead, I think I'd have volunteered to take him out myself. Not funny - just a case of someone trying too hard to exorcise the demons of being bullied as a kid, as far as I can see.

Maybe it's because my idea of funny is Terry Thomas in just about anything, who knows!!?
                "Here comes the Fun Cooker!!"

Comment

The 2 guys in the 3rd clip are almost exactly the same as a band i went to see last night, swap Kaufmans yelping for sub lou barlow mumbling and your right there with me...

I like his apology for Heartbeeps though, here's a review from my favourite movie site heartbeeps

sounds like a turkey of the highest order

Comment

I've seen 'Man On The Moon' and if he hadn't already been dead, I think I'd have volunteered to take him out myself.
                    excuse me?

Comment

Carey is one of my guilty pleasures - Man on the Moon, Dumb and Dumber, Truman Show, Cable Guy - love him! Based on the aformentioned movie I guess I would like Kaufman too...
                      www.soundcloud.com/stroud-calling

Comment

Originally posted by Monobrow View Post
                        Dumb and Dumber

http://www.jimcarreyonline.com/sound...d/annoysnd.wav
                        You Stink

Comment

I actually prefer Jim Carrey playing Kaufman than Kaufman being himself.

How can Steve Martin be hated? I present exhibit A :::: Planes Trains & Automobiles "Those are not PILLOWS!!!!!" & exhibit B, the scene with John Candy where they're going the wrong way in the car. C'mon.. for that alone, spread the love.
                          I'll tell you what............. What.
                          What ?

Comment

Andy Kaufman was a genius. Steve Martin, at least in "The Jerk", was a genius. And Jerry Lewis is a huge bloody genius. But you only really see it in the movies he directed.
                            http://hidingplaceplace.com/

Comment

Originally posted by beddoes View Post
                              Andy Kaufman was a genius. Steve Martin, at least in "The Jerk", was a genius. And Jerry Lewis is a huge bloody genius. But you only really see it in the movies he directed.
                              I think the use of "genius" here is hyperbole. A genius is a genius for his or her whole life, right? It might even be a stretch to call Orson Welles a genius.

Do you have high hopes for The Day the Clown Cried?

I've only seen a snatch of The Nutty Professor. What (readily available) films will display the alleged huge bloody genius of Jerry Lewis?

Comment

Working...
                              X