So what have you been reading lately?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what have you been reading lately?

Entirely non record related, of course, but I always love these threads and it's been a while since we had one, so here goes.

By far and away the best thing I've read of late has been What good are the arts? by John Carey.

A book that manages to be witty, scathing, scabrous, enlightened and angry all at the same time. This is essentially a demolition of various ways in which we, the public, have had Art - with a big capital A - pitched to us: art as religion, art as embetterment, art as social glue, etc. It rips apart the whole idea that paintings have any intrinsic value in and of themselves - and offers a hilarious critique of what the hell art actually is anyhows.

It then goes on to get all punk of yer ass by flipping things round and asking if, instead of wondering what intrinsic value art supposedly has, maybe instead we should be asking is how can engagement with art - as readers, as viewers, but first and foremost as active co-creational participants - impact upon us as people.

Suffice it to say I now have intellectual validation of a life-long interest in DIY culture, punk, zines, etc. Splendid stuff.
    To infinity - and beyond!

Just to lower the ptone but get in with the weeks zeitgeist I was reading a detective novel by Michael Dibdin. It was good fun but became a bit too silly at the end.
    Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

francesco's mediterranean voyage - the book of the t.v programme - breathtaking stuff...from venice to istanbul by boat...great photos too
      Rockwell
      Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Tintin...all of 'em, and I wish there were more. Jo, Zette and Jocko go some way to filling the gap left by the incomplete state of 'Alpha Art', but I still yearn for it's completion by that Canadian fella, with or without Tintin ending up by going on a date
        "Not only that but the WHOLE COVER is UNCREASED with only 2 or 3 TINY creaselines near the opening edge about half way down!!!! In the same place (about half way down the opening edge), there is an absolutely TINY and PERFECTLY repaired split" (xxxrecords)

Comment

Just started Patrick Humphries' biography of Nick Drake, which I picked up for pence in a Whitstable charity shop a few weeks ago. Early days, but it seems to be pootling along nicely enough so far - certainly there's some pretty extensive research in the way of interviews.

I've also revisited Truth by Simon Blackburn – a fantastic look at the nature of, well, umm... truth. Mainly to reaffirm my distrust of the relativist standpoint.

Also David Hines - Strange Embrace. The best graphic novel I've read in an age. Odd and warped, but hugely compelling and involving.
          Back and to the left... back and to the left... back and to the left

Comment

I've just started reading Sugar Blues, trying to kick the addiction but I'm a sucker for sainsbury's extra special cookies, and the odd cholcolate bar!!

I'm clean so far today early days though
            http://www.facebook.com/weekendsun
            http://soundcloud.com/weekend-sun
            http://www.myspace.com/weekendsun

Comment

Originally posted by Andrei Nikolsky
              I've been reading

and it's been shit this week
              Apart from New Tricks!

BBC4 Friday 17th October there's a documentary about Les Paul that looks pretty interesting...
              Back and to the left... back and to the left... back and to the left

Comment

Originally posted by jahshabby View Post
                Apart from New Tricks!

BBC4 Friday 17th October there's a documentary about Les Paul that looks pretty interesting...

new tricks fucking rocks !!
                Rockwell
                Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

"Shakey" by Jimmy McDonough - Neil Young biog - gave up after 200 pages last time due to too much detail, but giving it another go...

Along with - "Free Press Underground and Alternative Publications 1965-75" by Jean-Francois Bizot - great big format book - free words and many psych op art & collage pictures - ideal for when you can't face watching "The Holy Mountain" again...

Enjoyed the Patrick Humphries' biography of Nick Drake (mentioed above) - read it when the "Tanworth-in-Arden" CD of outtakes and home recordings appeared...
                  "It's all just one big plastic hassle..." - Psych-Out

Comment

Crete by Anthony Beevor (the Stalingrad author).
                    Full of incredible English chracters from a bygone time.
                    The Sound of Salvation blog

Final Upgrade Genuine Archive Item
                    Vault mint

Comment

'Deep Storm' by Lincoln Child. Awesome adventure. About to start 'Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy', any opinions?

Comment

Originally posted by lampros77 View Post
                        About to start 'Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy', any opinions?
                        Great book, I wish I haven't read it so I could discover it again. Really funny. I read the 5 of them in a couple of weeks, couldn't let the book down for a minute. Became an obsession

I finished reading Nina Simone's autobiography. Now I look at her with different eyes. Great reading, great character.

¡A tope con la vida!

Comment

I've been reading 'The Rivals Of Sherlock Holmes', a compendium of Detective stories from the Victorian/Edwardian era. Good stuff, with favourites so far being Carnacki The Ghost Finder, Hagar Of The Pawnshop and Professor Augustus S. F. X. Van Dusen, the Thinking Machine.

They made a TV series of this in the 70's that seems to have disappeared without trace. Shame.

I've also been reading 'Prehistoric London: It's Mounds and Circles' - fascinating stuff, now mainly built over with Starbucks and Subways, presumably.
                          SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

finally decided my brain needed a break from all that neuroscience, politics torture, islam and blah.

plumped for:

Murakami: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World. odd, exploration of identitysearch for meaning where there may be none. not quite noir, maybe like a really dark grey with a slight metallic sheen.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrei Nikolsky
                              just over four hours left and your still making a mockery out of it
                              I LOVE Sherlock Holmes.

I don't like Jeremy Brett, sorry.

Basil Rathbone, Peter Cushing, Robert Stephens, Nicol Williamson, Christopher Plummer, Rupert bleeding Everett? Yes! Jeremy Brett? No!

Sorry, Andrei - that's just how I feel about it, and I'm too old to change.
                              SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

Working...
                              X