Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filthy Rich
    replied
    Just read this book Index by Bridget Penney from a new avant-garde book imprint started by Stewart Home.

http://www.bookworks.org.uk/asp/deta...9B755C&sub=new

I'm afraid to say that it went completely over my head. Lots of brilliant writing (all the stuff about returning to the island where two children were abandoned with a tongueless mute to test how language emerges was great) but as a whole I couldn't figure out what the hell was going on. It's all completely disjointed and unrelated and with words scattered randomly over the page - best treated as bits of prose poetry for me I think. Serve me right for trying to be clever I guess.
    But if that wasn't enough I've been roped into reading this next as part of a book club

http://www.re-press.org/content/view/58/40/

Which is also in the process of whizzing right over my head.

Leave a comment:

• john stapleton
    replied
    been dipping into this

and just got this in the post this morning....

Leave a comment:

• Col Wolfe
    replied
    Originally posted by john stapleton View Post
    Nice cover, could make a decent flyer out of that.
    haha, yeah, seems appropriate for the next edition of Tapestry Of Delights too

Leave a comment:

• john stapleton
    replied
    Originally posted by Col Wolfe View Post
    Nigel Pennick's 'Oracle Of Geomancy'
    Nice cover, could make a decent flyer out of that.

Leave a comment:

• Col Wolfe
    replied
    Nigel Pennick's 'Oracle Of Geomancy'

it was a hard fought battle of brain-popping proportions but I got there in the end and now my life is positively enriched with gnostic know-how apparently

Leave a comment:

• john stapleton
    replied

Leave a comment:

• john stapleton
    replied
    Originally posted by Andrei Nikolsky
    alright alright

so when the big hollywood producer comes a knockin' at your door saying that he's interested in making a big biographical blockbuster of a movie about your life (the birds, the booze, the blackberries) and then asks which actor you would most like to play the part of SeƱor Stapleton, who are you gonna choose then, eh?

del boy & Mr EG clearly aren't on the cards

EG's the man though.

Donald Sutherland?

Brion James? oh, nope.

Leave a comment:

• ginghamkitchen
    replied
    Originally posted by john stapleton View Post
    Is that the compendium by Hugh (brother of Graham) Greene?

If so, it's brilliant! Read it years ago, forgot about it, must find a copy!
    This is a 2008 version edited by Nick Rennison, but it seems to collect the same writers and several of the same stories using exactly the same principle. I believe there were several entries in the original series edited by Greene, including an American one and I shall be on the look out for those too.

Leave a comment:

• john stapleton
    replied
    Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
    I've been reading 'The Rivals Of Sherlock Holmes', a compendium of Detective stories from the Victorian/Edwardian era. Good stuff, with favourites so far being Carnacki The Ghost Finder, Hagar Of The Pawnshop and Professor Augustus S. F. X. Van Dusen, the Thinking Machine.
    Is that the compendium by Hugh (brother of Graham) Greene?

If so, it's brilliant! Read it years ago, forgot about it, must find a copy!

Leave a comment:

• john stapleton
    replied
    Richard E. Grant on the other hand didn't do to badly portraying Stapleton...

He hasn't got the beard right, and he dresses like one of the bloody Downliners Sect!

Leave a comment:

• someblokecalledfuz
    replied
    I've been reading / leafing through a pile of about 30 'Life' magazines from the sixties and seventies I picked up in a charity shop recently.

Bloody entertaining they are too, portal to the world of the past...

Articles that've stuck in my mind so far.

Write up of the filming of 'Candy'
    Examination of the paris riots of '68
    Race relations in Notting Hill ten years after the race riots
    Lots of stuff on Vietnam

Great adverts too...

Leave a comment:

• peter sundae
    replied
    Kill your friends -John Niven. Sick but funny.

Better described by others-

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...en-780982.html

Leave a comment:

• medlar
    replied
    Apart from the book on Pol Pot that I've been reading forever, I recently re-read the 12 chapters of the Watchmen comic. Great stuff, and respect to Alan Moore for not wanting anything to do with the mockery of a movie of the same name.

Leave a comment:

• nlgbbbblth
    replied
    just finished Jim Walsh's oral history of The Replacements. Interesting but some context would have been appreciated as old quotes are mixed in with the new.

started Barbara Ehrenreich's Going To Extremes: Notes From A Divided Nation. Short essays on a variety of topics. Still the champion for the downtrodden worker.

someone got me The Music Lover's Guide To Record Collecting by Dave Thompson. Might go for that next.

Leave a comment:

• alanmck
    replied
    I've been reading this whilst sitting on the toilet (off & on) for what seems like forever.

Must find a good novel to get stuck into
    just eat some fibre.

that said, it is a great book, and great accompanying 4-cd thing as well (thanks to Lady McK for that paticular Christmas present last year). his books on "kind of blue" ad "love supreme" are also top.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X