Clear All

• Headless mermaid
    replied
    Too many e-mails from anal co-workers and clueless customers

Leave a comment:

• Bud Peyote
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe M'geek View Post
    Tintin...all of 'em, and I wish there were more. Jo, Zette and Jocko go some way to filling the gap left by the incomplete state of 'Alpha Art', but I still yearn for it's completion by that Canadian fella, with or without Tintin ending up by going on a date
    Me too! At least the ones I had not read for a long while. I love coming back to them and discover new things about them (yes a cliche but...), and most of all realising how great simple comedy works. People and dogs getting drunk, falling on their noses and sudden outbursts of fury. Genius.

I'm also reading Kensington Gardens by Rodrigo Fresan and I'm not sure what to think really. It ticks a lot of the right boxes, but the language is a bit overloaded (might be down to translation) and it seems to be a bit pretentious but lacking real substance... will have to read it through and make up my mind.

Leave a comment:

• nuggetninja
    replied
    I've been reading Julian cope's japrocksampler but im struggling becouse the print is so small good read all the same, and for a quick read philosophy 1oo essential thinkers Diogenes rocks

Leave a comment:

• ginghamkitchen
    replied
    Originally posted by Andrei Nikolsky
    just over four hours left and your still making a mockery out of it
    I LOVE Sherlock Holmes.

I don't like Jeremy Brett, sorry.

Basil Rathbone, Peter Cushing, Robert Stephens, Nicol Williamson, Christopher Plummer, Rupert bleeding Everett? Yes! Jeremy Brett? No!

Sorry, Andrei - that's just how I feel about it, and I'm too old to change.

Leave a comment:

• alanmck
    replied
    finally decided my brain needed a break from all that neuroscience, politics torture, islam and blah.

plumped for:

Murakami: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World. odd, exploration of identitysearch for meaning where there may be none. not quite noir, maybe like a really dark grey with a slight metallic sheen.

Leave a comment:

• ginghamkitchen
    replied
    I've been reading 'The Rivals Of Sherlock Holmes', a compendium of Detective stories from the Victorian/Edwardian era. Good stuff, with favourites so far being Carnacki The Ghost Finder, Hagar Of The Pawnshop and Professor Augustus S. F. X. Van Dusen, the Thinking Machine.

They made a TV series of this in the 70's that seems to have disappeared without trace. Shame.

I've also been reading 'Prehistoric London: It's Mounds and Circles' - fascinating stuff, now mainly built over with Starbucks and Subways, presumably.

Leave a comment:

• Carlitos
    replied
    Originally posted by lampros77 View Post
    About to start 'Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy', any opinions?
    Great book, I wish I haven't read it so I could discover it again. Really funny. I read the 5 of them in a couple of weeks, couldn't let the book down for a minute. Became an obsession

I finished reading Nina Simone's autobiography. Now I look at her with different eyes. Great reading, great character.

Leave a comment:

• lampros77
    replied
    'Deep Storm' by Lincoln Child. Awesome adventure. About to start 'Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy', any opinions?

Leave a comment:

• antwhiplash2
    replied
    Crete by Anthony Beevor (the Stalingrad author).
    Full of incredible English chracters from a bygone time.

Leave a comment:

• MPFlapp
    replied
    "Shakey" by Jimmy McDonough - Neil Young biog - gave up after 200 pages last time due to too much detail, but giving it another go...

Along with - "Free Press Underground and Alternative Publications 1965-75" by Jean-Francois Bizot - great big format book - free words and many psych op art & collage pictures - ideal for when you can't face watching "The Holy Mountain" again...

Enjoyed the Patrick Humphries' biography of Nick Drake (mentioed above) - read it when the "Tanworth-in-Arden" CD of outtakes and home recordings appeared...

Leave a comment:

• Sie-Fly
    replied
    Originally posted by jahshabby View Post
    Apart from New Tricks!

BBC4 Friday 17th October there's a documentary about Les Paul that looks pretty interesting...

new tricks fucking rocks !!

Leave a comment:

• jahshabby
    replied
    Originally posted by Andrei Nikolsky
    I've been reading

and it's been shit this week
    Apart from New Tricks!

BBC4 Friday 17th October there's a documentary about Les Paul that looks pretty interesting...

Leave a comment:

• scriptfliper
    replied
    I've just started reading Sugar Blues, trying to kick the addiction but I'm a sucker for sainsbury's extra special cookies, and the odd cholcolate bar!!

I'm clean so far today early days though

Leave a comment:

• jahshabby
    replied
    Just started Patrick Humphries' biography of Nick Drake, which I picked up for pence in a Whitstable charity shop a few weeks ago. Early days, but it seems to be pootling along nicely enough so far - certainly there's some pretty extensive research in the way of interviews.

I've also revisited Truth by Simon Blackburn – a fantastic look at the nature of, well, umm... truth. Mainly to reaffirm my distrust of the relativist standpoint.

Also David Hines - Strange Embrace. The best graphic novel I've read in an age. Odd and warped, but hugely compelling and involving.

Leave a comment:

• Joe M'geek
    replied
    Tintin...all of 'em, and I wish there were more. Jo, Zette and Jocko go some way to filling the gap left by the incomplete state of 'Alpha Art', but I still yearn for it's completion by that Canadian fella, with or without Tintin ending up by going on a date

Leave a comment:

Working...
X