Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sie-Fly
    replied
    francesco's mediterranean voyage - the book of the t.v programme - breathtaking stuff...from venice to istanbul by boat...great photos too

Leave a comment:

• emperor tomato ketchup
    replied
    Just to lower the ptone but get in with the weeks zeitgeist I was reading a detective novel by Michael Dibdin. It was good fun but became a bit too silly at the end.

Leave a comment:

• jakartajive
    started a topic So what have you been reading lately?

So what have you been reading lately?

Entirely non record related, of course, but I always love these threads and it's been a while since we had one, so here goes.

By far and away the best thing I've read of late has been What good are the arts? by John Carey.

A book that manages to be witty, scathing, scabrous, enlightened and angry all at the same time. This is essentially a demolition of various ways in which we, the public, have had Art - with a big capital A - pitched to us: art as religion, art as embetterment, art as social glue, etc. It rips apart the whole idea that paintings have any intrinsic value in and of themselves - and offers a hilarious critique of what the hell art actually is anyhows.

It then goes on to get all punk of yer ass by flipping things round and asking if, instead of wondering what intrinsic value art supposedly has, maybe instead we should be asking is how can engagement with art - as readers, as viewers, but first and foremost as active co-creational participants - impact upon us as people.

Suffice it to say I now have intellectual validation of a life-long interest in DIY culture, punk, zines, etc. Splendid stuff.
Working...
X