Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blacksheepboy
    replied
    I just finished reading Laughter in the Dark by Nabokov. The opening lines leave you in no doubt about what to expect: "In Berlin there lived a man called Albinus. He was rich, respectable and happy but one day he abandoned his wife for the sake of a youthful mistress he loved. He was not loved in return, however, and his life ended in disaster." A relentless, delectably nasty tale of the perils of obsessive love and betrayal. I wonder why it is that the darkest stuff so often makes for the best (or most compelling) reading?

Leave a comment:

• Dr Victor X Storm
    replied
    Anything and everything on Headpress. I can't get enough!

http://www.headpress.com/

Leave a comment:

• millie
    replied
    Its all too Beautiful.. Life of Steve Marriott..excellent..by Paolo Hewitt,John Hellier.

Leave a comment:

• Tsundoku
    replied
    I've been really poor in terms of finishing books lately. Recently read John Gray's "Black Mass" which is great, if a bit polemical, suffering from a flaw of a lot of popular history/philosophy, the blurring together of lots of historical moments and movements into One Big Thing. He is basically criticizing the post-Enlightenment idea of massively changing or re-engineering society, pointing out that this tends to lead to mass bloodshed. He starts off with the Jacobins, and writes about Mao, Hitler, Stalin, all the usual suspects really, but goes off on a lot of interesting tangents on the way, before laying into the Bush/Blair Iraq lunacy. One of the tangents (which I have a lot of sympathy for) is his critque of the atheism of Richard Dawkins et al. Good stuff.

Good interview here: http://newhumanist.org.uk/939
    Last edited by Tsundoku; 27-09-2008, 10:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Slim Jim
    replied
    Originally posted by mike sondek View Post
    How many volumes does it stretch to?
    Well, apparently he can't find any trace of Karl Burns so it could be ever-expanding..

Leave a comment:

• Daddy Ya Ya
    replied
    Originally posted by ROCKPROF View Post

.The Miracle of Life from 1940,nice big hardback embossed about everything evolution etc. .
    Grew up with this book - still have nightmares !

Leave a comment:

• mike sondek
    replied
    Has anyone read Dave Simpson's new book on ex-members of The Fall yet? Looks great....
    How many volumes does it stretch to?

Leave a comment:

• Slim Jim
    replied
    "Will The Circle Remain Unbroken" by Studs Terkel. A series of interviews by the great man about death. Talks to atheists and believers, members of the emergency services, soldiers, terminally ill etc - surprisingly cheery read!

Has anyone read Dave Simpson's new book on ex-members of The Fall yet? Looks great....
    Last edited by Slim Jim; 27-09-2008, 07:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Paul-K
    replied
    ive been reading

its a guide book to a few walks round stone circles and standing stones around the lands end area of Cornwall, i used one walk to find a stone circle and managed to fall on my ass in a wet muddy field .

though it aint much use now i have come back off my holiday.
    but next time im gonna go find them all.
    Last edited by Paul-K; 26-09-2008, 01:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ROCKPROF
    replied
    Originally posted by john stapleton View Post
    been dipping into this

and just got this in the post this morning....

That Spaced Out book looks superb.

Just got a few cheap old books from the chaz.The Miracle of Life from 1940,nice big hardback embossed about everything evolution etc.A hardback book of Wonder from the 1920s,some great photos in here of tribesmen in odd hats etc.And a Tate Gallery book from 74.The first 2 books mentioned had old photos and letters from 1945 hidden inside.All very interesting.

Leave a comment:

• Lady J
    replied
    Originally posted by emperor tomato ketchup View Post
    Have you ever seen Bruce Campbell?

I saw a great movie that he "stared" in called Maniac Cop 2. Except he gets killed 10 minutes in. They could obviously only afford him for a day or two.

The real star was a c-list Bruce Campbell look-a-like.
    I love Mr Bruce Campbell. He truly has it all. His other book 'Make Love The Bruce Campbell Way' (that I have as audio book narrated by his good self) is pretty groovy too.

I'm very lazy with reading at the moment, since I'm revising for my OU exam in a couple of weeks I'm just playing facebook poker to relax.

Leave a comment:

• emperor tomato ketchup
    replied
    Originally posted by Filthy Rich View Post
    Great title, is there an explanation for it?
    Have you ever seen Bruce Campbell?

I saw a great movie that he "stared" in called Maniac Cop 2. Except he gets killed 10 minutes in. They could obviously only afford him for a day or two.

The real star was a c-list Bruce Campbell look-a-like.

Leave a comment:

• Filthy Rich
    replied
    'If chins colud kill' by Bruce Campbell
    Great title, is there an explanation for it?

Leave a comment:

• Mr Naga
    replied
    'If chins colud kill' by Bruce Campbell - a warts n' all insight into being a b-list actor. It's very funny so far...

Leave a comment:

• babycart
    replied
    Three good novels I found among the dross at local car boots.

H.G.Wells – The War in the Air: Written in 1907, this has two prefaces written in 1921 and 1941 in which Wells polishes his nails and says “I told you so.” If anything his message: “air warfare means that social destruction, rather than victory, is the end of war” is even more true today. Still it’s a great romp, too, in which a chirpy cockney accidentally pilots a balloon to Germany where he meets barking bristly-tached Prussians and ends up bombing New York with zeppelins. I'd love to see a zeppelin. my grandad did when he was a boy and told me all about it.

Rupert Thomson – Death of a Murderer: I’ve read nearly all Thomson’s elegant and imaginative books and this is the best. A policeman spends a long night in a morgue accompanied only by his memories and the ghost of Myra Hindley. It’s eerie, precise and true about human relationships and Thomson has never written better.

Cormac McCarthy – The Road: Not much to add that hasn’t already been said about this. I’ve never really bought McCarthy’s style, dotted with ostentatiously obscure words and Biblical cadences, but this transcends the mannerisms. Having a boy about the same age as the one in the book made this particularly raw going at times for me. – he hits the fears, the idealism and the essential goodness of kids well.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X