No announcement yet.

Recently I have been mostly watching...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone watching Utopia? seen some bad reviews online, but I've enjoyed the first two episodes so far - especially the soundtrack and hipstermatic filming, and some nice slightly odd everyday locations. Reminds me a little bit of Robinson in Space or something

Comment

• Recently I got a whole bunch of DVDs from HMV in their 25% off sale, including Lucio Fulci's Gates of Hell trilogy
      So while Mrs E was out last night I settled down to hours of unbridled gore
      I have to say that while the gore element was very inventive and at times horrible the rest of the films (plot, acting, dialogue) were very poor indeed
      Mrs E came home half way through House By the Cemetry and, having had a couple of glasses of wine, she found the whole thing hilarious and I can see why!
      I know that part of the point is that they are gruesume tableau loosely stiched together, particularly City of the Dead but I'm not sure it works
      I did love the bit in the Beyond when the doctor blows the little girls head in half - who needs CGI!
      "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

• Originally posted by bongolia View Post
        anyone watching Utopia? seen some bad reviews online, but I've enjoyed the first two episodes so far - especially the soundtrack and hipstermatic filming, and some nice slightly odd everyday locations. Reminds me a little bit of Robinson in Space or something
        I've enjoyed it to date. It has a bit of an edge and is slightly different, and that's well worth an hour and a bit a week to me. People have unrealistic expectations nowadays that every bit of new TV has to be brilliantly filmed and have a watertight plot and incredible performances and all that. It's a childish view - a desperation that means that vaguely ok stuff is elevated to masterpiece status two seconds after the credits roll. I think it's okay for a programme to be all over the place as long as it is interesting.

I particularly like the guy out of 'Kill List' as the really strange hit man - he seems almost brain damaged at some points, but is clearly a highly trusted and very knowledgable part of the puzzle. It's a disconcerting performance.
        SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

• I saw Killing Them Softly last night. I was looking forward to it what with great reviews and George Higgins as source.
          It's very good, but maybe not as good as a lot of people cracked it up to be. all the bailout speeches seems to be laying it on very thick, it has a tired old bullet-time slo-mo execution and could be a lot tighter.
          Ben Mendelsohn is terrific in it.
          Vardy.....¬°¬°¬°PELIGRO!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by bongolia View Post
            anyone watching Utopia? seen some bad reviews online, but I've enjoyed the first two episodes so far - especially the soundtrack and hipstermatic filming, and some nice slightly odd everyday locations. Reminds me a little bit of Robinson in Space or something
            I've been enjoying this a lot. Second episode slightly less so, but back up for the third. greed on the filming, looks beautiful and i have no idea where it's heading - which is always nice. I love the bits in the shadowy, dark-wood-walled parliamentry building with James Fox +++
            I'm quite suprised that channell 4 are happy to put in so much gun violence (esp the scene at the beginning of ep 3) considering what has been (alarmingly regularly) making the headlines in the states of late.
            Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

• Originally posted by Expiry2011 View Post
              Recently I got a whole bunch of DVDs from HMV in their 25% off sale, including Lucio Fulci's Gates of Hell trilogy
              So while Mrs E was out last night I settled down to hours of unbridled gore
              I have to say that while the gore element was very inventive and at times horrible the rest of the films (plot, acting, dialogue) were very poor indeed
              Mrs E came home half way through House By the Cemetry and, having had a couple of glasses of wine, she found the whole thing hilarious and I can see why!
              I know that part of the point is that they are gruesume tableau loosely stiched together, particularly City of the Dead but I'm not sure it works
              I did love the bit in the Beyond when the doctor blows the little girls head in half - who needs CGI!
              For maximum enjoyment of those Fulci films you need to rejig your headspace and expectations... COTLD and THE BEYOND are perfect nightmare-logic films (i think i wrote this elsewhere on here, recently): the gates of hell open in a small town, time and space get skewed, random bouts of sickening violence/gore come out of thin air, for me this creates a great sense of underlying dread. Maybe that's being generous to explain away poor plotting and editing, but i don't think so... He hits these evil vibes most harshly in these "gates of hell" films. Great Fabio Frizzi soundtracks too

HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY is just plain shit, though..
              Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

• Saw 'End Of Watch' recently which was alright, Dredd was cool and TV stuff would be re runs of Southland and the Tim Oliphant vehicle Justified. Caught an old ish Keanu Reeves jobbie called Street Kings which was also not too bad.
                Fleas the size of rats suck on a rat the size of a cat....

Not As Great As His Very Best, But Pretty Much As Great As Most Anyone Else's.

Comment

• Was once again left pretty cold by a famous extreme exploitation film when I saw CUT-THROAT 9 on 35 mm at the art cinema this weekend -supposedly the goriest and most nihilistic western ever. Same happened with Santa's Sadists recently. Maybe it's a problem with most exploio flicks - they're made cheap, fast and uninspired and try to shock the audience so they don't realize they're being cheated?

Southern Comfort on the other hand wad great!

Has anybody seen the Fred Williamson western JOSHUA?

(I'll probably start a thread on good exploitation films...)

Comment

• I really liked Cutthroats Nine.... Not for the gore/ exploito angle - but more because it was such a cool plot. Ranger transports criminals but accident causes shift in power. Pretty nasty situation to be in whilst in such inhospitable environment. Drags a little though, i guess.
                    Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

• Originally posted by pencilface View Post
                      I really liked Cutthroats Nine.... Not for the gore/ exploito angle - but more because it was such a cool plot. Ranger transports criminals but accident causes shift in power. Pretty nasty situation to be in whilst in such inhospitable environment. Drags a little though, i guess.

I know I watched it the wrong way
                      Agree about the clever plot, but the directing and editing was pretty awkward, and the violence and stereotypical characters were emphasized both by the promotion and the film itself.

Comment

• The second season of Borgen has been very popular in our house but I've foudn the story telling increasingly unsubtle. Everything is the most obvious plot non-twist. If one character says X whoever they're talking to has to adopt Y position for no obvious reason.
                        Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY is just plain shit, though..
                          Is that the knock off of Last House On The Left also starring David Hess?

At lunchtime I just got a DVD of a movie starring him and Frank Nero called "Hicth Hike". Look like a couple in a desert and a psycho so maybe not the most original set up ever.
                          Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

SOUTHERN COMFORT is brilliant - what an amazing ensemble cast!

There's a few rural slasher-type films with a similarish vibe: DON'T GO IN THE WOODS ALONE (1982), RITUALS (1977), THE FOREST (1983) etc... must be loads of them?
                            I saw Southern Comfort as a teenager actually. Good stuff. I suppose hickspolitation also dovetails into a world of sub-Dukes of Hazard/Smokey & The Bandit shlock too.

One reason I really liked Island Of Death was it inverted the usual city slickers terrorised by rednecks and had the couple form London wreaking havoc across a remote greek island...though mainly against all the sickos and perverts who have invaded the island and spoiled its purity.

John Peel

Comment

• Originally posted by emperor tomato ketchup View Post
                              The second season of Borgen has been very popular in our house but I've foudn the story telling increasingly unsubtle. Everything is the most obvious plot non-twist. If one character says X whoever they're talking to has to adopt Y position for no obvious reason.
                              Exactly why I can't watch most new Danish tv drama. Plus it's stuffed full of everyday problems. Always amazes me why most people are so eager to recognize their own boring life in films and tv series...

Comment

• Originally posted by emperor tomato ketchup View Post
                                Is that the knock off of Last House On The Left also starring David Hess?

At lunchtime I just got a DVD of a movie starring him and Frank Nero called "Hicth Hike". Look like a couple in a desert and a psycho so maybe not the most original set up ever.

That's THE HOUSE ON THE EDGE OF THE PARK with david Hess.

I'd love a copy of "Hitch Hike" - been dying to see it for ages. Also with David Hess innit?
                                Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

Working...
                                X