No announcement yet.

Recently I have been mostly watching...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I also recently saw Mr Majestyk - highly enjoyable if you're in the mood for a somewhat trashy 70s action-thriller.

Also liked the main theme - feels a bit Italian somehow:

"Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
    and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

• Hustle

Grimy downbeat 1975 Aldrich noir starring Burt Reynolds. It's not very good.
      Burt s a cop who loves Europe and listens to Charles Aznavour records.
      After working up a thirst having sex with Catherine Deneuve he says "Can I have some breast milk, please." Ernest Borgnine is his boss and keeps saying "Get outta my office!"

SPOILER:

Burt gets killed by Freddie Krueger.
      Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Brainbomb View Post
        I also recently saw Mr Majestyk - highly enjoyable if you're in the mood for a somewhat trashy 70s action-thriller.
        I didn't find it that trashy, more like a straight-forward genre film. Actually find Bronson pretty good as an actor, to me he's like a mix of Eastwood and Stallone, cool and human but can explode if he's pressured, which he always is.

Comment

• Just watched Death Wish for the first time yesterday. Have Prince of the City to watch next. Love those gritty NYC 70's/80's movies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Billy Dynamite View Post
            Love those gritty NYC 70's/80's movies.
            Me too. Always looking for some new friends for Taxi driver, Pelham 123 etc. Even Woody Allen's 70s/80s films have some grittyness. Didn't we do a list recently?

Comment

• Originally posted by Headless mermaid View Post
              Me too. Always looking for some new friends for Taxi driver, Pelham 123 etc. Even Woody Allen's 70s/80s films have some grittyness. Didn't we do a list recently?
              Yeah, will have to go through it again and see what I've left to watch. Taxi Driver and Pelham were probably my favourites. Anything showing NYC street/subway life at that time is great viewing for me.

Found this thread a while back that had some good suggestions I hadn't come across. http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...he-70s.241193/

Comment

• Some early 80s art films like Richard Kern's films have some NY street (low) life as well. And I still have to find out in which film Warhol is seen walking around NYC talking about architecture with someone...

Comment

Found this thread a while back that had some good suggestions I hadn't come across. http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...he-70s.241193/
                  Interesting, that list seems to distinguish between films that merely take place in gritty 70s/80s NYC and films where the city/streets/landscape play a part in the story. Examples of the latter could be Taxi driver, Pelham, Panic in Needle park, Manhattan, Fort Apache The Bronx, French connection, Marathon man. There must be some writing on this somewhere online.

Comment

• I read a piece online somewhere about how the greatest movie villain of all time was 70s NYC. It was only a short piece would be good to read something more involving.

Don't know if you've seen a lesser known film called Born To Win? Another good one which I took my username from.

Comment

• The best film of this era, although a little later, is Once Upon A Time In America. Italian director directing American Italians interpreting Jewish gangsters.

I don't think it won an Oscar, surprisingly.
                      some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

• Originally posted by medlar View Post
                        The best film of this era, although a little later, is Once Upon A Time In America. Italian director directing American Italians interpreting Jewish gangsters.

I don't think it won an Oscar, surprisingly.
                        Ah yes, Leone's America. Even more sentimental than Once upon a time in the west. Good stuff.

Comment

I read a piece online somewhere about how the greatest movie villain of all time was 70s NYC. It was only a short piece would be good to read something more involving.

Don't know if you've seen a lesser known film called Born To Win? Another good one which I took my username from.

Haven't seen it yet. Would like to read that piece if you can find it. The 80s NYC could be even more of a villian than the 70s NYC. The crack "epidemic" probably inspired a lot of the crazy leather and spikes-wearing gangs and lone psycho killers in Death wish, Maniac cop etc.

Comment

• Can't find that article, sorry. It wasn't much to read really just making the initial point and then listing movies to watch. You've probably watched it but NY77:Coolest Year in Hell is a great documentary on the birth of hip hop, disco and punk while the city was in general meltdown.

Comment

• Saw half of NY77 and quite liked it although it felt a bit chaotic. Saw The Central Park 5 on tv the other nite, very interesting docu about 5 teens
                              falsely sentenced for raping a woman in Central Park. Also has some interesting 1989-2012 NY life in the background.

And here's some more colorful 80s NY life: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jSxEruJoig

Comment

• Smithereens

Excellent look at early 80s loserville NYC with the great Susan Berman as a punky wannabe who takes, takes, takes from nice guy Brad Rinn while she obsesses over a permanently-stoned Richard Hell as an elegantly-wasted rock 'n' roll scenester. Lots of shots of grimy, pre-Guiliani Lower East Side and fabulous soundtrack with The Feelies all over it. Director Susan Seidelman hit it big with next picture - Desperately Seeking Susan.
                                "Here comes the Fun Cooker!!"

Comment

Working...
                                X