No announcement yet.

Recently I have been mostly watching...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've been greatly enjoying the new episodes of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" - it's like he hasn't been away...

Comment

• Originally posted by bongolia View Post
      new series of Inside No 9 has been very good so far. First one clever Shakespearean pastiche, second very funny and moving, third showing the awful Rellik how it should have been done
      I love Inside no 9. Season 4 is excellent, no bad or average episodes. I just watched To have and to hold, Reece Shearsmith and Steve Pemberton are geniuses and Nicola Walker is GREAT. So many emotions in just 30 minutes.
      Everything in Greece is arpa kolla

Comment

• The Oscar winner Three Billboards. Great in parts, especially Woody Harrelson's performance, but a bit uneven and silly. Prefer the director's In Bruges.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aggie View Post
          Just watched online the wonderful Greek crime thriller Έτερος εγώ (Eteros Ego = The other me). The director decided to withdraw the movie from the cinemas last year due to a number of killings that took place during the same time. Now he has posted the full movie online - you may check it on youtube (english and french subs are available) - the link is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3zho2aV2bs

In a nutshell the movie is about a professor of criminology who tries to solve a number of murders whose only link is quotes from Pythagoras. Highly recommended.

And in case anyone's interested, here's an article that explains why the movie was withdrawn: http://www.ekathimerini.com/217038/a...-cabbie-killer
          Cheers Aggie, watched this the other evening and enjoyed it, especially Francois Clouzot's cameo.

Last night I watched this again . Excellent Spanish thriller with a couple of great twists. Won loads of awards here a couple of years ago. It's on UK Netflix ,apparently.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FuryOfAPatientMan-thumb-430xauto-62129.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	1040939
          Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

• The London Weekend Show on Reggae - was actually looking for the episode from the Autumn of 1977 which featured Steel Pulse filmed live at the 100 Club at the legendary Thursday night reggae sessions.

I can't believe how young Steve Barnard looks in the programme - he sounded much older on his Radio London reggae show...

Comment

• Originally posted by babycart View Post

Cheers Aggie, watched this the other evening and enjoyed it, especially Francois Clouzot's cameo.

Last night I watched this again . Excellent Spanish thriller with a couple of great twists. Won loads of awards here a couple of years ago. It's on UK Netflix ,apparently.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FuryOfAPatientMan-thumb-430xauto-62129.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	1040939
              Glad you liked it babycart I will check out "The fury of a patient man" - spanish thrillers rule

Everything in Greece is arpa kolla

Comment

• "Where Have All The Flowers Gone" 1978 documentary about looking at hippies ten years on. Nice footage of Vashti Bunyan in her caravan.
                "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

• ^ ooh that sounds interesting.

In a totally different vein, just watched "808" (free on Amazon Prime) about the classic drum machine. Some nice talking heads, not the usual people.

Comment

the classic drum machine.

Comment

• ha!

there was a bit about the non-programmable organ accompaniment type drum machines (Kakehashi had founded Ace prior to setting up Roland), but I think the doc could have done with a bit more about how drum machines work

Comment

• 'Being Blacker', which was on the telly last night. Documentary about 'Blacker Dread' . Given all the troubles he faces through the course of the documentary (filmed over three years) and those he faced before the documentary had been started, I was left with the impression of a man of great substance, and dignity,and also with the impression that the judge, who sentenced him to two and a half years for money laundering (a charge he never disputed) saying his life had been a failure, must have been a top arsehole. When Blacker has to shut down his record shop in Brixton to go to prison it re-opens as a fancy clothes shop surrounded by estate agents- just what the world needs.
                        "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

• Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
                          'Being Blacker', which was on the telly last night. Documentary about 'Blacker Dread' . Given all the troubles he faces through the course of the documentary (filmed over three years) and those he faced before the documentary had been started, I was left with the impression of a man of great substance, and dignity,and also with the impression that the judge, who sentenced him to two and a half years for money laundering (a charge he never disputed) saying his life had been a failure, must have been a top arsehole. When Blacker has to shut down his record shop in Brixton to go to prison it re-opens as a fancy clothes shop surrounded by estate agents- just what the world needs.
                          Watched this last night - excellent piece of work.

Comment

• Been watching a few of the BBC2 colour trade test transmission films over recent days (from the 60s and 70s) - mostly the ones that I didn't remember at all from my youth....

This one on boats was very entertaining and with a fantastic jazz score from John Hawksworth - anyone know if these were library tracks (if yes names please!) or specially commissioned for the film?

https://www.loc.gov/item/jots.200019346

Comment

• Up on BBC iPlayer there's about 5 or 6 bits of film shown on Arena "Blues Night" from the 80s, with the presenter and BB King discussing them.
                              there's a good 45 mins Chicago documentary in particular, also a nice mid 60s Big Bill Broonzy performance.

Looks like some of it is up on youtube:
                              https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...na+blues+night

Not sure what else was on the "Blues Night" programme originally or how long it was though - the name of artists at the end goes on for ages

Comment

Up on BBC iPlayer there's about 5 or 6 bits of film shown on Arena "Blues Night" from the 80s, with the presenter and BB King discussing them.
                                there's a good 45 mins Chicago documentary in particular, also a nice mid 60s Big Bill Broonzy performance.

Looks like some of it is up on youtube:
                                https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...na+blues+night

Not sure what else was on the "Blues Night" programme originally or how long it was though - the name of artists at the end goes on for ages
                                I'm sure a lot of us have seen this John Lee Hooker piece from "the beat room" but any excuse to post it up:

Comment

Working...
                                X