Recently I have been mostly watching...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post

Mark cousins has really changed, hasn't he. I remember him as being a bit like David Harris-Jones ('super') from The Fall and Rise Of Reginald Perrin, introducing films on BBC2 , but now he has tattoos and vests
    Yes, he has - mid life crisis? Luckily his voice still sounds the same...

Comment

• Originally posted by SirSlim View Post

Yes, he has - mid life crisis? Luckily his voice still sounds the same...
      Yes, it's all about his voice isn't it: slow, quiet, and very Irish.
      "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

• I highly recommend The Sandbaggers, one of the best examples of what British TV is occasionally capable of with a limited budget IMO

Comment

• Some People Thursday 7th February at 21.00 on Talking Pictures. 1962 film about three teenagers. Filmed in and around Bristol. Sound track by Valerie Mountain and the Eagles was released on an EP. Stars Ray Brooks, David Hemmings and kenneth More.
          eat chocolate-creams with the appetite of a blase parrot. H H Munro.

Comment

• Originally posted by Duncan View Post
            Some People Thursday 7th February at 21.00 on Talking Pictures. 1962 film about three teenagers. Filmed in and around Bristol. Sound track by Valerie Mountain and the Eagles was released on an EP. Stars Ray Brooks, David Hemmings and kenneth More.
            I might have to set my alarm clock for that, or whatever it is you do when something's on the telly.
            "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

• Originally posted by Duncan View Post
              Some People Thursday 7th February at 21.00 on Talking Pictures. 1962 film about three teenagers. Filmed in and around Bristol. Sound track by Valerie Mountain and the Eagles was released on an EP. Stars Ray Brooks, David Hemmings and kenneth More.
              I have that one on DVD - recommended.

Comment

• THE LIBRARY MUSIC FILM w talk and afterparty - Enjoyed it but pretty straight forward.

THE GREAT SILENCE - Rated spaghetti western w Klaus Kinski by Django's director. Enjoy the style, brutality and bleakness, but dragged on a little.

Comment

• Have the "Drums/Bass/Guitar" docs on BBC4 been mentioned? there's a few days left on iplayer for the first episode (ends Tuesday)

Not bad, some footage I'd not seen before and some different talking heads to usual. I think the Tina Weymouth one about the bass might have been the best. board fave Herbie Flowers talking about Walk On The Wild Side, etc

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00024k9

Comment

• Originally posted by bongolia View Post
                    Have the "Drums/Bass/Guitar" docs on BBC4 been mentioned? there's a few days left on iplayer for the first episode (ends Tuesday)

Not bad, some footage I'd not seen before and some different talking heads to usual. I think the Tina Weymouth one about the bass might have been the best. board fave Herbie Flowers talking about Walk On The Wild Side, etc

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00024k9
                    I've watched the drums one so far - but am looking forward to the "bass" episode most.

Comment

• Hearts Beat Loud

You might be tempted to see a film about a middle-aged record shop owner who owns a record shop and sells the record shop but bonds with his daughter through music.

DON'T BE. The music they make is AWFUL, even worse than the stuff lady Gaga did in that Star Is Born film, and that was bad enough. And you only see racks of records, not many actual records. The film is not about records AT ALL! It's about growing, moving on, accepting life and that sort of bollocks. And he's nasty to Toni Collette! Toni Collette's great! (but not in this.)
                      Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

• Halfway through HBO's "The Defiant Ones" 4 parter about Dr Dre and Jimmy Iovine, and it's really good. Lots of vintage footage. Like all these new Netflix era series it could probably be a bit shorter. Was only vaguely aware of Iovine, never realised he had such an interesting career (not mentioned in the doc yet, but I see on Wikipedia he even engineered the golden records on the NASA Voyager!)

Warning that the talking heads do include Bono (it was producing Rattle and Hum that finally broke him as a producer...)

Comment

• Just remembered I also watched this on Netflix:

Remastered - the Two Killings of Sam Cooke
                          https://www.netflix.com/gb/title/80191045

about his civil rights side and various theories about his death. Got me thinking that if he'd lived it would probably have been him doing a "What's Going On?" LP well before Marvin.

Anyone got the "live at Harlem Square" LP? only released in the 80s, but recorded with a mostly black audience so sounded like it was rawer than his more polished hits (and the Live at the Copa LP etc).

Comment

• Cold War

A bit like A Star is Born but instead of dull American country rock ballads you get splendid Polish folk songs, moody 50s Parisian jazz, a spot of film soundtracking, Bill Haley and 60s dodgy latin.

Gorgeous film
                            Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

• I commend these two documentaries to the house (both watched in recent days):

Marianne Faithfull

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00030w3

Filmworker

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/filmworker

Comment

• Watched Albert Finney directing himself in the film "Charlie Bubbles" last night - recommended.

Comment

Working...
                                X