No announcement yet.

Recently I have been mostly watching...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't Forget The Driver shows promise. Brought The Detectorists to mind. There is Toby Jones of course , there is also a gentleness to it , and it's different.
    Soundtrack is interesting too. Episode 1 started out with The Pentangle, and I wasn't expecting Mulatu Astatke at the end.

Comment

• saw a BBC 4 programme last night about Skiffle : https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...e-britain-rock

interesting stuff about the Ken Colyer and the Chris Barber band etc

Comment

• Have been enjoying watching these again:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...5/tutti-frutti

Comment

• Not really in the same league as "Don't Forget the Driver", but "Ghosts" with the Horrible Histories lot was good fun

Comment

• I liked 'Ghosts' too. Simon Farnaby is always good. I like 'Don't Forget The Driver'; quite a bit of it looks like photographs by Martin Parr.
            "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

• just watched the first episode of "Back To Life" and it looks really good, pretty dark... Written and starring Daisy Haggard who played the mother in Uncle

Comment

• Originally posted by bongolia View Post
                just watched the first episode of "Back To Life" and it looks really good, pretty dark... Written and starring Daisy Haggard who played the mother in Uncle
                Yes, a nice bit of light and shade. MInd you when I see things like this I wonder if I'm living a very sheltered life. Does everybody really swear all the time these days? That's how it seems on telly. Admittedly I hardly ever get out and I never meet anyone, so maybe they do.

Comment

• I've been enjoying 'What We Do In The Shadows' on the telly. I nearly missed it because I saw it advertised and thought it was the film being shown. About 4 episodes in I realized it was a TV series with Matt Berry so I had to tune in to 'listen again' to catch up. Then Mrs SK was saying 'Do you want to watch the next one' to which I had to say, No thank you very much I don't want to get involved in that binge-watching lark one at a time is fine for me. so I haven't caught up yet.

Matt Berry plays Matt Berry so as long as you like Matt Berry that's fine. I like the other actors too although I've never previously been aware of any of them. Very funny; I prefer it to the film.

Comment

• Don't Look Back. On BBC Two this Saturday 21.00. D A Pennebakers classic about Bob Dylan's 1965 tour of Britain.
                    eat chocolate-creams with the appetite of a blase parrot. H H Munro.

Comment

• Easy Rider showing this Saturday 23.35 on Sony Movie channel. 1969 classic.
                      eat chocolate-creams with the appetite of a blase parrot. H H Munro.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
                        I've been enjoying 'What We Do In The Shadows' on the telly. I nearly missed it because I saw it advertised and thought it was the film being shown. About 4 episodes in I realized it was a TV series with Matt Berry so I had to tune in to 'listen again' to catch up. Then Mrs SK was saying 'Do you want to watch the next one' to which I had to say, No thank you very much I don't want to get involved in that binge-watching lark one at a time is fine for me. so I haven't caught up yet.

Matt Berry plays Matt Berry so as long as you like Matt Berry that's fine. I like the other actors too although I've never previously been aware of any of them. Very funny; I prefer it to the film.
                        The film's available at the moment too (iPlayer? Netflix? both? can't remember!). It's good and probably different enough to make watching it worthwhile if you liked the series.

Also the Matt Berry "Year Of The Rabbit" Victorian cop series was good (and MB not playing his usual self quite so much).

Comment

• This was excellent:

Jeremy Deller - Everybody In The Place (An Incomplete History Of Britain 1984-1992)
                          https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000777d

Better than the BBC 4 three-parter last year (and which is back on iPlayer) on dance music, although there were some really good bits in that, like Nicky Siano going to the Coney Island dodgems which has the only surviving Richard Long sound system, or Paul Oakenfold looking for his first club venue down an alleyway in Streatham. The third part (on DJs) was a bit frightening - the recent superstar DJs were a bit of an eye-opener - to me the "superstar DJs" were the boring house or trance types in the 90s playing at Cream or Gatecrasher for a few thousand quid, but now it's people like Steve Aoki and Tiesto playing at Vegas for millions, with fancy stage shows and (ugh) audience participation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bl3cl5
                          Last edited by bongolia; 19-08-2019, 10:24 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bongolia View Post

The film's available at the moment too (iPlayer? Netflix? both? can't remember!). It's good and probably different enough to make watching it worthwhile if you liked the series.

Also the Matt Berry "Year Of The Rabbit" Victorian cop series was good (and MB not playing his usual self quite so much).
                            I saw the film and I thought it was okay but not great. The series was much better, and Colin Robinson was an excellent addition to the 'usual' vampire type. 'Rabbit' was tip-top.

Comment

• Re-watched his recently - still great:

Comment

• THE SISTERS BROTHERS

Neo-rustic western/death rite drama. 4 out of 5 stars for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X