Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filthy Rich
    replied
    Watched a Balabanov film called Happy Days the other day. Anyone know anything about this guy? Seen a few of his films and they're generally weird and about damaged and alienated people and this one was no exception. Beckett seems to have a joint writing credit so I assume it's loosely based on one of his plays - anyway, it's about a strange looking guy (who was also in Of Freaks and Men from the same director I think) who seems to be released from a mental hospital or something after an operation on his head. He wants to stay but they won't let him so he wanders out into a strangely empty St Petersburg looking for a place to stay. He falls in with a blind guy with a donkey living in a cellar and an aristocratic prostitute living in a huge mansion in which is mainly derelict but never really manages to relate to anything or anyone. At times the city seems to be all but abandoned but there are occasional buses and a watch repairer who has the same ears as the protagonist and tends to victimise him when their paths crosss. The cinematography is amazing black and white and the whole thing has a kind of tragic yet disconnected feel. I wish I knew what it was about but it certainly had a strong effect on me.

Leave a comment:

• Brass Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Brainbomb View Post
    No fans here?

I'm looking forward to the 2nd episode this evening.
    It's getting very good reviews here and is normally the kind of thing that I'd be all over but I am going through my Breaking Bad phase (just finishing season 3, moving on immediately to 4).

Leave a comment:

• Brainbomb
    replied
    Originally posted by Brainbomb View Post
    Hinterland

First episode on Danish TV yesterday. Great photography of stunning rainy Wales sceneries (yes, it's a bit exotic to me which may add to the appeal) and a crime story that's a bit implausible and farfetched but done in a style that made me think of giallos: celtic symbols, religious mysticism and childhood traumas that leave dangerous mental scars all had their part in the plot as did some crawling through an old abandoned orphanage - all of which could easily have been present if Dario Argento had made a giallo set in Wales back in the days.

I'm looking forward to next episode on Sunday and hope I don't get disappointed with a story set in a city, and a plot that's just farfetched without adding that certain mysterious aspect to it.
    No fans here?

I'm looking forward to the 2nd episode this evening.

Leave a comment:

• Headless mermaid
    replied
    Just got THE EXORCIST director's cut on DVD. Hope I have the guts to watch it ..........

Leave a comment:

• Brainbomb
    replied
    Hinterland

First episode on Danish TV yesterday. Great photography of stunning rainy Wales sceneries (yes, it's a bit exotic to me which may add to the appeal) and a crime story that's a bit implausible and farfetched but done in a style that made me think of giallos: celtic symbols, religious mysticism and childhood traumas that leave dangerous mental scars all had their part in the plot as did some crawling through an old abandoned orphanage - all of which could easily have been present if Dario Argento had made a giallo set in Wales back in the days.

I'm looking forward to next episode on Sunday and hope I don't get disappointed with a story set in a city, and a plot that's just farfetched without adding that certain mysterious aspect to it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X