Recently I have been mostly watching...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AKA "Action Grandad"

nowhere near a much fun as Planet Terror - - but still enjoyable. Not nearly as shit as lots of the reviews will have you believe...

plus it has the requisite amount of tits and blood for an exploitation film. Pretty fun casting too. Except Don Johnson and DeNiro were a wasted a bit...

I liked the but where he wrote a text on his phone with his massive fat finger.
    Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

• 'The Last Picture Show' was on TV before I went to work this morning. Always a heartbreaker. I remember it being shown in Brampton Village Hall in the mid 70's (near Appleby not the Carlisle one) and an old fellow telling me that they had an easy life the americans. Chris Bonnington was on the week after. Always tea and biscuits available.

Comment

• The last three, having seen only the first one of these before - all superb...

The aural history of the sex life of a cosmic corn popper

Comment

• Originally posted by blue burt View Post
          Brilliant! The best "feel-bad" movie ever

I've been watching a few episodes of "The walking dead" someone mentioned in the zombie thread. Seems promising

Comment

• Come dine with me this week came from Bristol - nearly as good as the Preston edition!!
            You can't take a stocking offa bare leg

Comment

• Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
              Frankie Boyle's Tramadol Nights. The format is a bit confused and the sketches were a bit hit and miss but jesus, how does he get away with it?
              Very confused but i agree on the 'how does he get away with it' thing
              And doesn't he look odd as a 'normal' guy - if you can call normal his Nightrider strung out on H character or his Green Mile wanking prison guard normal...enjoyed the George Michael highway code
              Rockwell
              Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

• Originally posted by BoneyVotel View Post
                Come dine with me this week came from Bristol - nearly as good as the Preston edition!!
                oh shit! if it was a repeat from around a year ago my mate was one of the contestants - - she came across badly i'm told.
                Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

• Originally posted by BoneyVotel View Post
                  Come dine with me this week came from Bristol - nearly as good as the Preston edition!!
                  Did you see the Liverpool one the other week with the local radio DJ? Hilarious!
                  Endless Tripe

Comment

• was sad to see the re-runs of Colditz end.
                    my other half not nearly as sad
                    Rockwell
                    Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

• Originally posted by blue burt View Post
                      Good one, surprisingly violent.

Comment

• watched these two last night:

Quality Bava direction, deasd groovy like. But i couldn't work out who i was supposed to be rooting for? Diabolik himself is a sociopathic ponce who blows up loads of things and kills loads of people just to nick things for his girlfriend. No remorse shown at any point. Very odd.

Bloody hell! This was an experience. I'm a big fan of Korine (his recent 'mister lonely' was ace)
                        This has a similar vibe to Herzog's "Even Dwarves started small" i.e. Weird looking people smash things up and other inane activities whilst laughing their heads off. It has a similar ratio of funny:disturbing:boring as well.
                        Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

• Originally posted by son of stan View Post
                          Found a boxset of this in the charity the other day:

http://www.screenonline.org.uk/tv/id/534642/

This is the BBC's mid 70s tv series "Gangsters" which I vividly remember from the time (when I enjoyed, but couldn't make head or tail of, it).

Really enjoying it so far. Not got to the "surreal" second series yet.

Recommended if you are into that sleazy 70s Brit crime sub-genre (and who ain't?)
                          Sorry for the second mention but I have been watching more of this and I don't think I did it justice first time around. Absolutely excellent. So far ahead of its time!

It's sort of pastiche film noir / Western set in multiracial 1970s Birmingham. Casts a very cold eye on civic corruption, the corrosive influence of racist comedy, commodification of women, the relationship between capitalism and the exploitation of the vulnerable, the tastelessness of the 70s and so much more.

But its also a lot of fun. Features brutalist architecture, location footage of 70s Brum, Jamaican music, a Three Degrees tribute act, authentic 70s clobber, Ennio Morricone music, tipped in Bollywood clips, references to Kung Fu films, etc...)

Also very post modern in its combination of social realism and distancing devices (slightly "theatrical" dialogue, "to be continued" captions, deliberately unrealistic violence, etc).

Its quite extraordinary and it makes, "The Sweeney" and the recent "Red Riding", for instance, look like "Dixon of Dock Green".
                          Last edited by son of stan; 08-12-2010, 02:45 AM.
                          Endless Tripe

Comment

• is that Diabolik film the one titled 'Danger Diabolic' in English? pleasingly stupid and entertaining...

anyone see that programme about the High St? has been pretty interesting so far anyway (great attention to detail on all the reproduction product packaging and so on), but the final episode last night was doing the 1970s, and David Lashmar, who many here will recognise from Beanos, was running a record shop...

Comment

• Originally posted by bongolia View Post
                              anyone see that programme about the High St? has been pretty interesting so far anyway (great attention to detail on all the reproduction product packaging and so on), but the final episode last night was doing the 1970s, and David Lashmar, who many here will recognise from Beanos, was running a record shop...

Yes I watched this, not seen that Angel Delight packaging for nigh on 30 years now...them were the days

There is a dealer somewhere who still hasn't finished rubbing his mitts together after being assigned the task of filling that 70's record shop with £1 bargain box filler.
                              -
                              You thought the leaden winter would bring you down forever,
                              but you rode upon a steamer to the violence of the sun.

Comment

• Yes, bit of unfair competition, really. People need food to live, they don't always need a 35 year old Kenny Rogers record. Brotherhood of Man still rocking it, though.

It was good last week in the swinging sixties, especially the hairstyle lessons. My wife's had a beehive since.
                                SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

Working...
                                X