Recently I have been mostly watching...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Brainbomb View Post
    I've been watching that British Italian crime TV series about Zen. Not too good, is it? Good photo and music. Rubbish plots. Silly.
    Good news: it's a short series.

Do you have the British 'Wallander' over there? What do you think of it in comparison to the Swedish?
    SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

• Watched a weird film from Belgium called Ex-Drummer today - enjoyed it a fair bit. Should be familiar to people starting a band and struggling to find a drummer - well a bit familiar.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0812243/usercomments

Also, L'Argent (Robert Bresson) which was very good, Ba'al (Alan Clarke and David Bowie based on Brecht - not as good as you might hope) and Wages of Fear (Clouzot) excellent of course.

Comment

• Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
        Do you have the British 'Wallander' over there? What do you think of it in comparison to the Swedish?
        I didnt mind the british version but the swedish one was much better. Was sad to hear that the woman who played his daughter killed herself though.
        The Killing is where its at though now :-D

Comment

• Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
          Good news: it's a short series.

Was a while since I saw both the Swedish an the UK remakes but to my memory the UK version was pretty faithful to the originals. Plus - it's filmed in the countryside about an hour with train from where I live so I recognize the places. Always fun to see an international star hanging out on that square where I've been to bootsales and picked up this and that record or in that village with the charity where many years ago I was thrilled to find David Axelrods Rock Messiah for £1 on an otherwise completely fruitless expedition to the countryside many many years ago and so on.

And what I think: imo Wallander is one of the better crime series from Sweden. Sometimes they make them so incredibly Hollowood-like and try to make them like Seven or something - so the serial killer cut off the victims face and xeroxed it to paper and sent to the police to taunt them? Sorry - if it's made with good atmosphere in a Hollywood movie I'll buy it, but if it's done with mediocre actors in a Swedish movie that does nothing but trying to be as dark and disturbing as possible I just find it silly.
          Last edited by Brainbomb; 01-03-2011, 10:14 PM.
          "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
          and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

• Never seen the series, but I'm not too keen on the Wallander books.
            Varg Veum and Martin Beck are my favourite Scandi-sleuths, and the books by Staaleson & Sjowall/Wahloo are way better than the films.

I'm also currently heavily into Van Der Valk and am thinking of splashing out on some DVDs of the series. All I've got at the moment is the books and the theme tune
            Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Filthy Rich View Post
              Watched a weird film from Belgium called Ex-Drummer today - enjoyed it a fair bit. Should be familiar to people starting a band and struggling to find a drummer - well a bit familiar.
              I saw that a bit ago - pretty hard work. Not sure i'd watch it again!

Watched these over the last few days:

Well-made precursor to the Blair Witch project. The Last 10 mins were a bit daft, but i enjoyed it a lot.

This was very dull, apart from some cool sound-design stuff that was a bit dream-like. What are the best Jess Franco films to start off with?

Third time i've seen it and i enjoyed it more each time. +++

But what has had me creaming my pants the most is a bootlegged documentary of Novos Baianos:

It's them all filmed hanging around and playing football in their commune in the early/mid 70's - but every 5 minutes they burst into amazingly ragged live performances of all the songs from "Acabou Chorare". Absolutely magnificent. Best tenner i've spent in ages...
              Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

• Originally posted by babycart View Post
                I'm also currently heavily into Van Der Valk and am thinking of splashing out on some DVDs of the series. All I've got at the moment is the books and the theme tune
                The dvd box seems to always be in the sales section online,was tempted to buy it some time back
                http://soundcloud.com/anthroprophh

Comment

• I remember watching The Last Broadcast a few years back and thinking it was pretty solid. Not actually related to Blair Witch is it - just a very similar idea, or am I wrong?

Comment

• super violent, loads of sex, swearing "by Jupiter's cock!" and more violence!
                    very watchable in a pervy kinda way
                    The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Filthy Rich View Post
                      I remember watching The Last Broadcast a few years back and thinking it was pretty solid. Not actually related to Blair Witch is it - just a very similar idea, or am I wrong?
                      yeah, you're right- -i just meant the same idea, but done a few years previously...
                      Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

• Originally posted by babycart View Post
                        Varg Veum and Martin Beck are my favourite Scandi-sleuths, and the books by Staaleson & Sjowall/Wahloo are way better than the films.
                        The movie I was quoting as too far-fetched was a Beck movie,

I don't know - maybe the books are better, never read them.

One of the first Swedish movies based on Beck is ace, though. From 1976 and highly realistic bordering to social realism with groovy flute music (as unreleased though some tracks appear in different versions on some late 70s album I think) by J:son Lindh. Called "Mannen på taket" if someone cares.

Comment

The movie I was quoting as too far-fetched was a Beck movie,

I don't know - maybe the books are better, never read them.

One of the first Swedish movies based on Beck is ace, though. From 1976 and highly realistic bordering to social realism with groovy flute music (as unreleased though some tracks appear in different versions on some late 70s album I think) by J:son Lindh. Called "Mannen på taket" if someone cares.
                          I've only ever seen Walter Matthau as 'Beck' , which was OK (The worst homage to another book I've ever read is in one of those Stieg Larssen books, when a chapter starts "Next morning X was far from being a laughing policeman when he arrived at Headquarters")
                          The plots in the Beck books are sometimes daft, and I think the current reading that they're all anti-capitalist tracts ignores the fact that they're, really, about character. The books are full of magnificent character portraits and, after a while, the crime becomes almost unimportant.
                          Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

• I really like The Laughing Policeman. Louis Gossett has one of the funniest lines ever.

Comment

Is "Mannen På Taket" the one that's sorta similar to the Danish "Skytten" ("Shooter") starring Jens Okking?
                              LOST SOUNDTRACKS Mixtape

HOLDBAR HIP HOP Podcast

BUSYBODY FILMS

Comment

• Originally posted by Headless mermaid View Post
                                Is "Mannen På Taket" the one that's sorta similar to the Danish "Skytten" ("Shooter") starring Jens Okking?
                                I haven't seen Skytten but it looks interesting on IMDB despite getting a low grade from users. It seems like Skytten focuses more on someone going crazy and shooting at people? While Mannen på taket is more a traditional police movie about solving a murder - the shooting at people from a rooftop (as is implied in the title) is just a part of the conclusion. Since Mannen... came 1976 and Skytten 1977 I would not rule out any influences seeping over Öresund - but on the other hand someone going crazy and shooting people at random is certainly not unique.

Comment

Working...
                                X