• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Targets for instance

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063671/

Comment

• Originally posted by Brainbomb View Post
      I haven't seen Skytten but it looks interesting on IMDB despite getting a low grade from users. It seems like Skytten focuses more on someone going crazy and shooting at people? While Mannen på taket is more a traditional police movie about solving a murder - the shooting at people from a rooftop (as is implied in the title) is just a part of the conclusion. Since Mannen... came 1976 and Skytten 1977 I would not rule out any influences seeping over Öresund - but on the other hand someone going crazy and shooting people at random is certainly not unique.
      Indeed. Skytten also has one of the greatest examples of soundtrack jazzfunk in Danish cinema.

Comment

• Nothing Sacred

Great cynical screwball comedy.

The love scene at 49.00 is lovely, and Carole Lombard looks even better wet.
        Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

• Had a dig through stuff I'd not see for a while...

"Zombie and the Ghost Train" - quality bit of Mika Kaurismäki optomism... great use of Black Sabbath on the OST -

"It's all just one big plastic hassle..." - Psych-Out

Comment

• There is a disappointing lack of any sex or even a smidgeon of sexiness
            in this end-of-the-world-alien-invasion-for-fucksake-now-what?! blockbuster.
            There's plenty of exciting explosions and topical mass death references
            (hey, Tokyo even gets it first!) but the constant camera close ups on the faces
            of the actors - Aaron Eckhart especially, to try & convey the intense and oh so
            meaningful tension just pissed me off far more than the gaping plot holes or the
            dodgy water powered aliens.
            If your dream movie is a cross between Starship Troopers / Independence Day
            Half Life 2 / Jeff Waynes War Of The Worlds, then you'll be happy as a pie.
            7/10
            The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

• had a mini Giallo-thon with a mate last night:

Really fun Sergio Martino one - -lots of fake endings/ 'it was all a dream'/ twists and plenty of very daft visuals filmed in a cool way. It seemed to me to have exactly the same cast as Martino's other great Giallo "Strange Vice of Mrs Wardh"

A couple of amazing fuzz-n-chorus bangers on the soundtrack as well - - are they available on wax anywhere??

Followed by this:

A cool idea (journalist wakes up trapped inside his dead body, desperately trying to remember the events that lead up to this and his girlfriend's disappearance) - but was a little slow for me (especially after "all the colors...") Good moustache-action though.
              Last edited by pencilface; 14-03-2011, 09:19 PM.
              Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

• Pa Negre/Pan Negro (Black Bread)

Catalan post-Civil War story by a director whose disturbing semi-documentary Aro Tolbukhin I enjoyed a lot.
                This takes him to much higher level, though. Terrific performances, a brilliant opening scene, feral children, birds and a brutal lesson about how idealism and love is crushed by war and poverty.
                Deservedly swept the board at the Spanish Goyas (Oscar/BAFTA equivalent) a month ago.
                Last edited by babycart; 18-03-2011, 02:02 PM.
                Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

• Still only watching 'The Killing'...best thing on tele in ages. Shame theres only 2 episodes on sat left :-( What am I gonna watch then? Least the beeb has bought up series2 to show. Apparently been bigger ratings than 'Mad Men'!

Comment

• Originally posted by purple_pill67 View Post
                    Still only watching 'The Killing'...best thing on tele in ages. Shame theres only 2 episodes on sat left :-( What am I gonna watch then? Least the beeb has bought up series2 to show. Apparently been bigger ratings than 'Mad Men'!
                    Loads of people have said this - -need to check it out!

Last night had a marathon dodgy-film session with some mates. This was the running order:

(gotta say i was a bit disappointed with this. It was fun enough, but not the "70's mind blower" it says on the box.)

(Now we're talking - insanely strange acting, loads of shoddy/brilliant SFX, lots of confusion. Great fun +++ )

(Disappointing amount of Zombie action - i think we counted 4 - mostly cannibal action in this, but it was decent enough. And i'm a sucker for watching Ian McCullough. Some great electronic burbles on the soundtrack...
                    Why do Cannibals always go straight for the intestines to eat? I'd totally eat some tasty muscle or rump if i was going to eat any of it!)

(Great fun, and with some amazing creature effects. But the pace slackened a bit too much in the middle - which pretty much all these films did thinking about it. What's up with that?)
                    Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

• Submarine.

And I loved it. Managed to snaffle a two colour illustrated screenprint of the poster by the terrific Lizzie Stewart signed by all the cast and director too which is awesomez.

WARNING: There is more than a passing resemblance to Wes Anderson films stylistically speaking and I know a few of you aren't keen. Just saying like.
                      http://www.matpringle.co.uk

Comment

• The Ususl Suspects is on Tv tonite. It was quite popular years ago, wasn't it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Headless mermaid View Post
                          The Ususl Suspects is on Tv tonite. It was quite popular years ago, wasn't it?
                          For a good reason
                          Everything in Greece is arpa kolla

Comment

• Yesterday afternoon I watched 'Sunday Bloody Sunday'. I kept avoiding watching it thinking it'd be a boring film, with people discussing their sexuality over dinner for two hours but it is a very good film with interesting characters. Lovely early 70's clothes and general atmosphere and some brief but interesting 'modern' music passages by Ron Geesin. Also, strangely enough Murray Head reminded me a lot of Brian Auger (!?)

Right afterwards I watched 'The Big Lebowski' again...
                            Everything in Greece is arpa kolla

Comment

• Mystery Of Chess Boxing

Classic! Ghost Face Killer goes around killing his rivals until a newbie enters the scene....
                              Attached Files
                              some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

• Originally posted by purple_pill67 View Post
                                Still only watching 'The Killing'...best thing on tele in ages. Shame theres only 2 episodes on sat left :-( What am I gonna watch then? !
                                Just finished it this morning - grrreat. The respectable gentleman's 24! I urge all and sundry to devour, although I see episodes 1-5 are off iplayer now.
                                Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Working...
                                X