No announcement yet.

Recently I have been mostly watching...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thirst was another one that started slowly and developed into something else. Good film as far as I remember although I can't recall the scene to which you refer.
    Still haven't seen Kill List.

Comment

• I have both 13 Asassins and I Saw The Devil stitting on top of the telly to watch...been there ages. I watched Billy Liar on Monday which is always tops!

I'm waiting for Kill List to turn up in ASDA for £10.

Did anyone watch the 'Dear Censor' doc on BBC3? it was OK - a bit brief for me though and it didn't mention the most recent cases - HC2 and A Serbian Film.
      I have a very particular set of skills...

http://www.paybacksoulfunkjazz.com

Comment

• I just watched Townes Van Zandt documentary 'Be Here To Love Me'.

I enjoyed it a lot.
        http://www.matpringle.co.uk

Comment

• I saw Drive again and loved it. Recently I tend to prefer these cool, visually expressive genre films, as kliche and sentimental as they may be, to more traditional, narrative dramas. It's all illusion anyway, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by Headless mermaid View Post
            I saw Drive again and loved it. Recently I tend to prefer these cool, visually expressive genre films, as kliche and sentimental as they may be, to more traditional, narrative dramas. It's all illusion anyway, right?
            You checked out his previous film - "Valhalla Rising"? Very similar but packs a lot more of a wallop i thought. Plus it'll fit in with your current preferences
            Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

• Originally posted by pencilface View Post
              You checked out his previous film - "Valhalla Rising"? Very similar but packs a lot more of a wallop i thought. Plus it'll fit in with your current preferences
              Yes, enjoyed VH a lot as well. The open structure let you enjoy it mainly as images. Lovely.

Comment

• 'American Pickers' and their ongoing crusade for mantiques

crate-digging gone large
                new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

• I'm looking forwards to picking up Drive on DVD for some repeat viewings...anyhow last night I tucked in to my BFI 'Little Malcolm' DVD. It's excellent stuff. I knew it was going to pull the rug on me at some point and take a darker turn but it is almost pythonesque (?) in parts, really funny. Yes John Hurt is amazing but so is David Warner. His monolouges are ace and the sexual conquest / party one had me in stitches. I have 'The Parties Over' to watch too.

Is anyone else really excited that Taken 2 is in production / due Oct 2012?

Can it live up to expectations?
                  I have a very particular set of skills...

http://www.paybacksoulfunkjazz.com

Comment

• kind of cool if you like Dexter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVS1-...eature=related
                    Everything in Greece is arpa kolla

Comment

• Originally posted by Headless mermaid View Post
                      I saw Drive again and loved it. Recently I tend to prefer these cool, visually expressive genre films, as kliche and sentimental as they may be, to more traditional, narrative dramas. It's all illusion anyway, right?
                      i loved it too...

also (surprisingly, because never thought the book sounded very enticing) "We Need To Talk About Kevin".

Comment

• Had another session of watching bad films and drinking booze with some mates. Here's what we got through:

ENTITY FORCE (AKA One Dark Night)

I read somewhere that this was good (Nightmare USA book?)... but even though it had a nicely simple plot (highschooler spends the night in a mausoleum as gang initiation - the dead come alive) and some decent 'Phantasm' vibes - it was a real disappointment. Veeeeery slow and boring for the most part. Some great effects at the end as one of the corpses controlled the others with lazer eyes, and an ace face melting scene did not make up for it. My DVD was particularly bad quality, which didn't help i guess.

CREEPOZOIDS

1987 post-nuke acid rain and monsters rubbish. We laughed quite a lot throughout this - at the mammouthly inept final 20 minute show down with the monster in particular - but i wouldn't watch it again.

DUNYAYI KURTARAN ADAM (AKA Turkish StarWars)

Now this is more like it! Bonkers rip-off of Star Wars with loads of footage of the actual Lucas film chucked in, as well as music from Indiana Jones, Flash Gordon and Blackhole, increasingly bizarre and rambling subtitles, a plot that none of us could get our heads around (something about a Wizard needing human brains to take over the universe, and something about a big crap-looking sword?),a strange pro-Muslim propaganda 10 minutes in the middle, and editing that is so bewilderingly hyper-kinetic that our heads were spinning after about 10 minutes.... it was a draining and outrageoulsy hilarious experience watching this. BEST TRAINING MONTAGE EVER?
                        I need to check out more Turkish stuff in this vein...
                        Last edited by pencilface; 13-11-2011, 12:32 PM.
                        Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

• Wuthering Heights, the 2011 version.

All I can say is, don't! Shallow, poorly acted, sensation for the sake of it tosh.
                          some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

• Originally posted by medlar View Post
                            Wuthering Heights, the 2011 version.

All I can say is, don't! Shallow, poorly acted, sensation for the sake of it tosh.

Flying in the face of critical acclaim I've heard the non-professional cast of the first half of the film warmly praised, and the whole thing a refreshing take on a familiar story........
                            "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

• Originally posted by pitch View Post

Flying in the face of critical acclaim I've heard the non-professional cast of the first half of the film warmly praised, and the whole thing a refreshing take on a familiar story........
                              I went into it open minded, my wife told me we were going to the cinema to see Wuthering Heights by the director that did Red Road. Now, I thought Red Road was very well done, but this load of shite, sorry, absolute cack. It looks good though
                              You've read the Timeout review judging by your post
                              One half isn't enough, by the second half it becomes apparent how poor it is, and the change of actors, can I just laugh? Terrible.

I'd love to give a more detailed evaluation, but there are a number of appropriate reviews out there.
                              Last edited by medlar; 13-11-2011, 10:12 PM.
                              some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

• On a negative note.

Two films I was looking forward to, that really disappointed:

Monsters - was looking forward to a road movie with a background of monsters, what I got was badly scripted, ridiculously plotted, tedious unengaging tosh. Amazed so many critics could not see beyond the quite impressive bedroom CGI (though how giant octopi are surposed to walk around I really don't know) - frustrating.

Black Swan - again the burden of expectation. Critics I normally trust all very positive, a great director, comparisons with Argento, references to Powell and Pressburger, shock from audiences........... I think I watched a different film. I kept waiting for it to get really weird, and then it ended. I laughed a couple of times, kept giving it the benefit of the doubt, and kept getting disappointed - not dramatic, not scary, not weird, just hammy. I'd recommend this film as a cure:

Amer
                                .... and
                                Last edited by pitch; 13-11-2011, 10:30 PM.
                                "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                                X