Recently I have been mostly watching...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Little Jimmy Oddman View Post
    I've seen his first three that he did on his own (Walkabout, Don't Look Now and The Man Who Fell To Earth) and all three are worth the bother of tracking down. Walkabout is quietly weird (Jenny Agutter in the Australian Bush), Don't Look Now is a masterpiece (Donald Sutherland in Venice) and The Man Who Fell To Earth is much more intriguing than the premise (David Bowie from outer space).
    Ah, of course - DLN is a lipping classic. Didn't know (or forgot) that that was a Roeg film. I think i've seen half each of the other two on TV yolks ago, i'll seek them out. Cheers.
    Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

• "Yes, interesting reading of the film. Didn't see it yet (and didn't like Antichrist much either), but my friend didn't think it was very good. Maybe I should reading more films as depressed, fever-ridden nightmares...?"
      I think Melancholia is a lot better than Antichrist, I really wanted to like that but, despite some good bits, it was just too silly and I laughed outloud too many times for it to be effective as the psychological horror I think it wanted to be. That said I love the bit where he sees the deer with the half-born faun and I'd say there is something genuinely creepy when he looks at loads of old photos and realises that his child's slightly deformed feet were caused by his wife consistently putting his shoes on the wrong feet.

GK - what think you of The Final Programme?

Comment

• Originally posted by Filthy Rich View Post

GK - what think you of The Final Programme?
        An interesting misfire with some excellent bits which don't make for a satisfying whole. It's just a bit too polite, I think. Jon Finch is really good as Jerry Cornelius, although I wouldn't have cast him. I wish it had been a big hit so we could have had a few sequels which got progressively weirder and wilder.
        SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

• Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
          An interesting misfire with some excellent bits which don't make for a satisfying whole. It's just a bit too polite, I think. Jon Finch is really good as Jerry Cornelius, although I wouldn't have cast him. I wish it had been a big hit so we could have had a few sequels which got progressively weirder and wilder.
          Yeah, sounds fair. Not sure I would have said that it's polite but I agree about it being a misfire. Obviously I liked it better as a whole but I could never defend it as a great or even good film.

Comment

• SPAGHETT!

BLINDMAN

Blind guy goes after a gang of Mexican bands after a debt of 50 prostitutes is stolen from him... I dont' see this Spaghetti being heralded much, but it's flipping ace +++ Loads of action, some mentalness, a very cool score by Stelvio Cipriani (Morricone-esque Spaghetti sounds with funky drums and sitars added!), and Ringo Star playing an unhinged Mexican bandito... What more could you need from a western?
            Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

• 'The perfect family', *very* predictable but totally uplifting and feel good little movie with Kathleen Turner, Richard Chamberlain (!) and that girl from Bones.

Also 'The Killing' Season 2, as well as a sh!tload of bad tv series and the greek melodrama 'Truth or dare' aka 'How to tear apart a country in less than three years'...
              Everything in Greece is arpa kolla

Comment

• Fido

Well made, good fun zombie comedy about a future where a collar keeps the walking dead docile so they can be trained to do all the menial work as slaves. And no it's not about them breaking free of their slavery to take revenge but about a lonely boy who finds a friend in the zombie his mother buys because all the neighbours have one - naming him Fido and throwing ball with him in the park and stuff. Yes - of course there's some trouble and occassional bits of gore but it's more of a social satire than anything else. Even has Lassie references.
                "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
                and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

• It's all about RIZZOLI & ISLES round here recently.
                  Mostly RIZZOLI, though
                  Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

• Saw Cronenberg's The Fly for the first time ever. Love catching up on genre classics even if they're much of their time. TF was genuinly frightening, gross and moving in parts. Good stuff. Videodrome up next. Liked Spider and Dead zone a lot.
                    LOST SOUNDTRACKS Mixtape

HOLDBAR HIP HOP Podcast

BUSYBODY FILMS

Comment

• Originally posted by Headless mermaid View Post
                      Saw Cronenberg's The Fly for the first time ever. Love catching up on genre classics even if they're much of their time. TF was genuinly frightening, gross and moving in parts. Good stuff. Videodrome up next. Liked Spider and Dead zone a lot.
                      The relationship between Goldblum and Davis is surprisingly touching in this film. They were married at the time, which I suppose helped.
                      Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by babycart View Post
                        The relationship between Goldblum and Davis is surprisingly touching in this film. They were married at the time, which I suppose helped.
                        Yes, the human aspect always helps make farfetched sci-fi interesting. Geena Davis is actually a capable actor, too bad she doesn't get that interesting roles lately.
                        LOST SOUNDTRACKS Mixtape

HOLDBAR HIP HOP Podcast

BUSYBODY FILMS

Comment

• My dad always told me that this one of the best films ever, but I didn't get around to seeing it until last night.

My dad was right. Makes you realise that Peckinpah and Leone were just as adept at sampling/homage as the likes of Tarantino.

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

• More haulage-related thrills in this Brit thriller, which has an incredible cast of Baker, Lom, McGoohan, Sid James, Connery, McCallum and Peggy Cummins from Gun Crazy. There's even room for Charles Bronson's missus Jill Ireland and a Doctor Who

Its more about tearing down wet country lanes with a couple of tons of gravel in your Dodge than transporting nitroglycerine through the jungle. 50s England still manages to seem as much of a shithole as Las Piedras, though, and there's some superb denim, leather and sheepskin action.
                            Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

• the BBC4 Nina Conti thing the other night about ventriloquism was weird and great

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01jv1yr

Comment

• An interesting interview for those who may be interested with Gene Clark amongst others from 1988.

Comment

Working...
                                X