X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shere Khan
    replied
    Originally posted by SirSlim View Post

Good film that one, but it's actually called "Upstairs and Downstairs" - the main attraction in my humble opinion is Claudia Cardinale

What are they doing in my record room?

Leave a comment:

• SirSlim
    replied
    Originally posted by Duncan View Post
    This Saturday afternoon 5th December I will be watching a 1959 comedy film Upstairs Downstairs on Talking Pictures. It stars Michael Craig and James Robinson Justice. Joan Sims, Joan Hickson, Nicholas Parsons. Watch out for uncredited Olive Reed, Susan Hampshire and Shirley Anne Field.
    Good film that one, but it's actually called "Upstairs and Downstairs" - the main attraction in my humble opinion is Claudia Cardinale

Leave a comment:

• Duncan
    replied
    This Saturday afternoon 5th December I will be watching a 1959 comedy film Upstairs Downstairs on Talking Pictures. It stars Michael Craig and James Robinson Justice. Joan Sims, Joan Hickson, Nicholas Parsons. Watch out for uncredited Olive Reed, Susan Hampshire and Shirley Anne Field. After that on Sunday afternoon is a 1959 Creature feature called The Beast From Haunted Cave. Produced by Gene Corman and his brother Roger.

Leave a comment:

• Turboellis
    replied
    Originally posted by Turboellis View Post
    Looking forward to Spitting Image immensely. Me & the Mrs pissed our pants when we saw Bojo & Trumper ...
    And it didn't disappoint.

Leave a comment:

• Shere Khan
    replied
    Originally posted by SirSlim View Post

Old codgers?!

Haven't seen those films you mention but I hope this is the theme tune:

You haven't seen them? Address that oversight now. You should at least see 'Lovers Rock'- that's bang up your alley.

Leave a comment:

• SirSlim
    replied
    Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
    I've watched the two Steve McQueen 'Small Axe' films on the BBC. Looking forward to the others. The first two have been exceptional, and very satisfying, like TV of old. As this forum is mostly made up of old duffers, not young guns, the milieu will probably be quite familiar.
    Old codgers?!

Haven't seen those films you mention but I hope this is the theme tune:

Leave a comment:

• Shere Khan
    replied
    I've watched the two Steve McQueen 'Small Axe' films on the BBC. Looking forward to the others. The first two have been exceptional, and very satisfying, like TV of old. As this forum is mostly made up of old duffers, not young guns, the milieu will probably be quite familiar.

Leave a comment:

• Viva Chiba
    replied
    Talking Pix TV probably my fave digital channel as well. A fascinating time capsule, and as is their remit, they show the stuff others don't. Usually a few good things crop up each week, and the public information films / old series are sometimes interesting, too.

Have caught a few excellent things on there, including The Small World Of Sammy Lee, The Mind Benders, Billy Liar (I think) and Never Let Go, which I've later grabbed on DVD. Latter is cracking and features a superb John Barry score, Adam Faith plus Peter Sellers in a rare straight role as a leering second hand car vending sleazebag - well worth checking out.

Leave a comment:

• SirSlim
    replied
    Originally posted by bongolia View Post
    Talking Pictures TV is great - saw a clip of them on the news, is just an old man and his daughter running it from their home (after failing to get to other channels interested in showing the content). I hope it's a success, there's a huge gap in the market when it's the same stuff being endless repeated on other channels.

Have seen or recorded loads of good stuff already - Tony Hancock's "The Rebel", Saul Bass's "Phase IV" (although to see the original ending you still need youtube), random bits of archive film (e.g. someone's holiday film from 1938), some Hammer films

"Fear Is the Key" was on the other week, with the great Roy Budd soundtrack (all very exciting, except the plot doesn't really make sense when you think about it)
    Here's a few films I'd never seen before that have been on TalkingPicturesTV this year that I recommend to the house:

where has poor old mickey gone (1964)

girl with green eyes (1964)

tiger in the smoke (1956)

this is my street (1964)

Leave a comment:

• Turboellis
    replied
    Looking forward to Spitting Image immensely. Me & the Mrs pissed our pants when we saw Bojo & Trumper ...

Leave a comment:

• bongolia
    replied
    Talking Pictures TV is great - saw a clip of them on the news, is just an old man and his daughter running it from their home (after failing to get to other channels interested in showing the content). I hope it's a success, there's a huge gap in the market when it's the same stuff being endless repeated on other channels.

Have seen or recorded loads of good stuff already - Tony Hancock's "The Rebel", Saul Bass's "Phase IV" (although to see the original ending you still need youtube), random bits of archive film (e.g. someone's holiday film from 1938), some Hammer films

"Fear Is the Key" was on the other week, with the great Roy Budd soundtrack (all very exciting, except the plot doesn't really make sense when you think about it)

Leave a comment:

• SirSlim
    replied
    Have been enjoying "The Mind of JG Reeder" on TalkingPictures recently - very odd and with a flapper "disco" theme to boot

Leave a comment:

• bongolia
    replied
    For anyone with Netflix - really lovely little 15 minute documentary:

John Was Trying To Contact Aliens
    https://www.netflix.com/gb/title/81252991

he was broadcasting great music into outer space too - watched it a few days ago, but I remember seeing Harmonia, Steve Reich, Henry Wolff & Nancy Hennings, Tangerine Dream...

Leave a comment:

• Shere Khan
    replied
    Originally posted by emperor tomato ketchup View Post
    Working my way through several DVD box sets. Given I got a 36 disc box of every season of Xena Warrior Princess in Oxfam I may be some time. I'm still not even halfway through Jason King.
    I've got the Jason King box but I haven't started it yet. I've been working my way through the 'Numbers' sets. Just finished series 5 but it's hard to find 6 cheaply for some reason.

Leave a comment:

• emperor tomato ketchup
    replied
    Working my way through several DVD box sets. Given I got a 36 disc box of every season of Xena Warrior Princess in Oxfam I may be some time. I'm still not even halfway through Jason King.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X