Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Of late I have mostly been reading...

'To Kill A Mockingbird' by Harper Lee.

I feel the urge to read more classics - any recommendations?

Next up Gulliver's Travels.
    http://www.matpringle.co.uk

Just finished Dave Haslam's "Manchester, England" - had been put off it for years by the cover... stupid really, but what a top read it is indeed - a Fopp cheapie... from last year...

Currently it's "On Some Faraway Beach: The Life and Times of Brian Eno" by David Sheppard... initial impression is the writing style is a bit pompus, but the facts appear good - musical insight to the creative process might be slim...

Edit

Originally posted by Mr Naga View Post
    '

I feel the urge to read more classics - any recommendations?
    Nuts - sorry - classics... err. I think I might have the wrong recommendations in mind
    Last edited by MPFlapp; 28-01-2010, 02:16 PM. Reason: Nuts - sorry - classics...
    "It's all just one big plastic hassle..." - Psych-Out

Comment

Just finished reading Will Hodgkinson's 'Ballad of Britain' from last year. A musical travelogue that tries looks at folk music in a modern context. I imagine a quite a few on here would like it.

The last classic I read was 'The Picture of Dorian Gray' which i really enjoyed and would reccomend. I'm about to start Laurie Lee's 'Cider with Rosie' as i'm about to move out that way. Only ever read his 'As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning' which is defintely worth a look.

On another tip I really enjoyed George Orwell's 'Down & Out In Paris & London' and Graham Greene's 'Travels With My Aunt'.
      Soundcloud

Comment

Well, I'm reading the Pevsner Leeds architecture guide and have recently finished reading Will Hodgkinson's Ballad of Britain (interesting but flawed account of tracking down modern folkies).

As for classics, its obvious but if you liked To Kill A Mockingbird, what about Truman Capote's In Cold Blood?

Or for Classics, read The Odyssey. Everyone should read The Odyssey. Plus, its not a million miles away from Gullivers' Travels, in many ways.
        Mixes, compilations and the like

Comment

Jinx: clearly great minds read alike Mendoza.

It was interesting and it was VERY good on Cornish folk (with some mention of Chrissy Quayle and Brenda Wootton, who have been mentioned briefly here). If it kept up that quality, it would be astounding. Sadly, I didn't think it could manage it - it drifted off terribly and was horribly vague or uninformative elsewhere.
          Mixes, compilations and the like

Comment

Originally posted by Little Jimmy Oddman View Post
            it drifted off terribly and was horribly vague or uninformative elsewhere.
            The Sheffield / Manchester bit defintley fell into this category. I liked the bit about Scousers and Pink Floyd (& Love) but that's intersted me since i lived there in the early 90's. Never knew Chatham in Kent was that rough but have checked this with a mate who confirmed his take on it.
            Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by Little Jimmy Oddman View Post
              As for classics, its obvious but if you liked To Kill A Mockingbird, what about Truman Capote's In Cold Blood?

Or for Classics, read The Odyssey.
              I'll have a look at In Cold Blood. I've always wanted to read The Odyssey but I'm slightly worried I'm too fick.
              http://www.matpringle.co.uk

Comment

I'd also recommend reading Ὀδύσσεια (the Odyssey) - in the original latin, of course, along with "Finegan's Awake" and the complete works of Charles Shakespeare.
                Endless Tripe

Comment

The classic I always recommend is Vile Bodies. A book which completely floored me on reading it. It's a book of two halves: the first: high farce the second: bitterness & bleakness. It's obviously subjective and an opinion which is not commonly shared but I think it's one of the greatest novels of the 20th century. Actually, 100% of the people I force it upon disagree with me. The majority don't even like it.

The last book I read was Marcus Chown's 'The Never Ending Days of Being Dead' which is an interesting & brief (yet still confusing to this puny brain) read through some of sciences new frontiers.

I'm just dipping my toes into that Peter Wright book recommended by someone in the other book thread as I live up the road from where I understand a lot of it's set.

And I read and mostly enjoyed the most recent issue of Viz.

Comment

You don't need to be clever to read the Odyssey, you just need to be patient.

Comment

Originally posted by J.R View Post
                      You don't need to be clever to read the Odyssey, you just need to be patient.
                      and shell out on an accessible translation rather than a 70-year old one you can get for a quid

its great when he comes back and only his dog recognises him and then he kills every one of the blokes sniffing around his missus
                      Vardy.....¬°¬°¬°PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Hey Babycart - whatever happened to **SPOILER ALERT** ??

CORSO: What kind of advice you got for politicians?

BURROUGHS: Say the truth once and for all and shut up forever.

Comment

If you enjoyed Heller's 'Catch 22', I'd really recommend the sequel 'Closing Time'. Just finished it and thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. Actually, you don't even have to have read Catch 22 to enjoy it...
                          "Jumping cues and making haste just ain't my cup of meat"

www.alexd.co.uk

Comment

Lacan's Ecrits, a new edition with a ton of previously untranslated material.

Next up: The Enemey of All, Piracy and the Law of Nations

http://www.amazon.com/Enemy-All-Pira.../dp/1890951943

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Naga View Post
                              I'll have a look at In Cold Blood.
                              I have a spare chazza copy if you're intereseted - drop me a PM with an address and i'll pass it along

Comment

Working...
                              X