No announcement yet.

Of late I have mostly been reading...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mostly stuff from my paperback collection, The Leather Boys - Eliot George, Black Slang - Clarence Major and The Punk - Gideon Sams, which takes all of half an hour to get through! Then I post them up on:

www.paperbackparade.blogspot.com

Well I have to do something with all the books I have, apart from reading them that is. It's early days on this though, I'm sure that it'll improve in time, once I get into the swing of things.

Comment

• Joshua Ferris - And Then It Came To An End

Life in an advertising agency office in early 2000.
      Layoff's (being shit-canned), cancer, totem poles. anti-depressants and child murder.

Essential reading for anyone bored shitless in an office all day.

Very funny.
      <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Comment

• Just read Malpertuis by Jean Ray which is a kind of gothic horror, reminded me a little of Gormenghast to start with and then went all HP Lovecraft. Now I'm reading A Dream of Wessex by Christopher Priest (I think that's his name) which seems to be a kind of varying levels of reality type sci-fi thing with a plot that (so far) is very similar to Fassbinder's World On A Wire.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ian Townsend View Post
          Joshua Ferris - And Then It Came To An End

Life in an advertising agency office in early 2000.
          Layoff's (being shit-canned), cancer, totem poles. anti-depressants and child murder.

Essential reading for anyone bored shitless in an office all day.

Very funny.
          I enjoyed this, but the cancer section towered above the rest of the book so much that it was almost as if a novella by a completely different author had been pasted into it.
          Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

• Thought I would give this ailing thread a boost. Not as popular as its siblings "Watching" and "Listening", for some reason (but more popular than its distant cousin, "doing some work").

Any old how, this dropped through the letter box earlier today.

It really is the most politically incorrect pile of old tosh. And an insight in how nasty it would actually be to find oneself transported back to the sixties. But it has a certain panache and kitsch amusement value.

I became interested in Adam Diment after reading of his mysterious disappearance.

http://www.nickelinthemachine.com/20...r-adam-diment/

Now I will have to track down his other three schlocky "meisterwerks".

On a book tip, I got this for my birthday:

Not much reading involved but just beautiful. Get it. (Thank you G & J! xxx)

PS I read this recently("Members Only: The Life and Times of Paul Raymond" by Paul Willetts). Great. Highly recommended (as are the author's other two books):

Last edited by son of stan; 07-10-2010, 02:50 PM.
            Endless Tripe

Comment

• I enjoyed that. "While collecting my oats..."

I've been lapping this up, much to my own surprise

quite a gal, our Cynth. she loses two brothers in the war, where her hubby's also off fighting yet soldiers pluckily on, meeting DH Lawrence, Sassoon and fighting off admirers, doing new-fangled 'crosswords' etc.

It also makes you realise how small and tightly-knit the British upper class was. Her father in law was PM, for instance. Good job all that self-perpetuating privilege and absolute entitlement is behind us now.
              Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by babycart View Post
                I enjoyed that. "While collecting my oats..."
                Believe me, there's much more where that came from... and I'm only on page 38.

Endless Tripe

Comment

• Originally posted by babycart View Post
                  Good job all that self-perpetuating privilege and absolute entitlement is behind us now.
                  It will only disappear when we get rid of the public schools...
                  Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

• can you tell who did the purple five panel illustration in the upper left corner son of stan? Is there more from him or her in the book?
                    All the Wolpertingers

Comment

• Reza Negarastini: Cyclonopedia

insane and recommended
                      http://hidingplaceplace.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Cacapo View Post

can you tell who did the purple five panel illustration in the upper left corner son of stan? Is there more from him or her in the book?
                        That one is by Uncredited, sadly.

The whole thing is absolutely stunning, though. It's artwork from Women's / Teenage / "homes and gardens" type magazines. I doubt if any of it has been republished since.

Endless Tripe

Comment

• Originally posted by beddoes View Post
                          Reza Negarastini: Cyclonopedia

insane and recommended
                          That's already on my christmas list - looks like an amazing book!
                          "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

• Originally posted by son of stan View Post

Any old how, this dropped through the letter box earlier today.

It really is the most politically incorrect pile of old tosh. And an insight in how nasty it would actually be to find oneself transported back to the sixties. But it has a certain panache and kitsch amusement value.

I became interested in Adam Diment after reading of his mysterious disappearance.

http://www.nickelinthemachine.com/20...r-adam-diment/

Now I will have to track down his other three schlocky "meisterwerks".

[/IMG]
                            Contrary to what the link said, the follow-up was titled the Great Spy Race.

Not much better, but fun enough if you're in a particularly susceptible frame of mind
                            Attached Files
                            Gosh, golly that was a weird one. Have I got time to go and take some more acid?

Comment

• Not in french though. Recommended.
                              http://soundcloud.com/teaspoonsweden
                              http://www.mixcloud.com/SebastianFSorrow/
                              http://soundcloud.com/seb-f-sorrow

Comment

• Originally posted by plushpig View Post
                                Contrary to what the link said, the follow-up was titled the Great Spy Race.

Not much better, but fun enough if you're in a particularly susceptible frame of mind
                                Have you read the similarly non-PC but loveable novels by James Yardley? I found one in a cottage I was renting in Cornwall a couple of years ago - and eventually tracked down copies of his "KISS THE BOYS AND MAKE THEM DIE" and "KISS A DAY KEEPS THE CORPSES AWAY". They star the gorgeous Kiss Darling as the globetrotting investigative auctioneer.

The blurb of the second novel reads:

"Kiss Darling had nerves of steel, a computerized intelligence, and a body designed provocatively for the pleasure of men...
                                She had one weakness. She was a virgin...
                                Investigating the sales of ancient Egyptian jewellery involves Kiss Darling and her ex-Flying Squad boss with assassins, bedouins, bellydancers, revolutionaries, ceremonial sacrifices, duels and death in a Pharaoh's tomb hidden beneath the rising waters of the Nile...
                                'Goose-pimpling adventures...and at the end of this breathtaking novel, Kiss still retains her original weakness."

Ding Dong
                                "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                                X