No announcement yet.

Of late I have mostly been reading...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm back on books due to a three hour round commute and as much as I despise public transport for the delays, expense and most significantly other commuters I must say reading again regularly is splendid.

I have read these in the last fortnight;

I attempted this a while back but found it hard going due mostly to the fact I'm a bit of a dullard with books and something as simple as all the characters having unfamiliar names was too much for me. It's brilliant though and very funny despite the historical back drop - it's based around the exploits of a team of Hungarian basketball players between the end of the second world war and right up to the short-lived Hungarian revolution. What starts out as a fairly knock-about coming of age tale soon becomes something all together more moving.

Diverting biography which avoids a lot of the well covered Python stuff in favour of Graham's more personal exploits.

I was slightly hesitant to read this (see earlier in this thread if you can be arsed - I wouldn't recommend it especially) as it's made up of three of his live performances and as a massive fan of Stewart Lee I am more than familiar with these three performances however it's worth a read due to the thoroughly distracting and substantial footnotes which gives much insight and deliberation over the material. One of the few books which has made me laugh like a tit on the train.

I'll shut up now.

UPDATE - I like how the books go from big to small.
    http://www.matpringle.co.uk

Comment

• I have been slowly making my way through this

however, my cat tends to read more than me...

The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

• I also have the 100 objects book by the bed and dip into it now and again.

Currently engrossed in Alex Ross's "The Rest is Noise". Very good and slowly unlocking the world of composed music for me.

And Mortal Engines.

At first I bought records, then I started to collect records; now I merely accumulate records.

Comment

• Cyril Mango- 'Byzantium', a comprehensive study of the Eastern Roman Empire.

In tandem with my interest in Byzantine studies (which I might take up for my Master's), I've also become fascinated by the 'Third Rome'- the Russian Empire.

A direct result of that is a perhaps unhealthy obsession with the martyrdom of the Holy Passion Bearers, Tsar Nicolas II and his family. Helen Rappaport's 'Ekaterinburg', meticulously describing the final days before their murder, makes for a harrowing read.

Comment

• Originally posted by JGBollard

The Man Who Was Thursday.
            "One of the hidden hinges of twentieth-century writing, the place where, before our eyes, the nonsense-fantastical tradition of Lewis Carroll and Edward Lear pivots and becomes the nightmare-fantastical tradition of Kafka and Borges."

Only just started this and already very much enjoying it. Starts off like peculiar fantastical Sherlock Holmes-esque type story and suddenly it's talking about the end of mankind and rebelling against God himself.
            I love that book but there's a problem with it which, as you haven't finished it yet, I won't reveal. 'The Club of Queer Trades' is a long-term favourite of mine from Chesterton, a book I return to again and again just for the sheer pleasure of it.
            SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

• A biology joke based on a Poem by Christian Morgenstern. I think it is known as "the Snouters" in the UK.

I really enjoy all the details that make these creatures seem so real. I love it.
              All the Wolpertingers

Comment

• More Miles than Money - this appeared in a thread Fuz kicked off a few weeks back...

Highly recommend read... although it's hard not to worry about how the hell you'd get the records back if you embarked on a trip like this with a proper record hoovering head on

"It's all just one big plastic hassle..." - Psych-Out

Comment

• Becoming Elektra- very nicely done history of my all time favourite label. Also worth reading, Follow The Music ,Jac Holzman's biography as well.

Electric Eden is next on the block.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by radtradCat View Post
                    Cyril Mango- 'Byzantium', a comprehensive study of the Eastern Roman Empire.
                    thanks, sounds cool. reading: The Big Payback rap economics book + after Denis Johnson 'Jesus's Son' I got some of his other books

Comment

• Originally posted by MPFlapp View Post
                      More Miles than Money - this appeared in a thread Fuz kicked off a few weeks back...

Highly recommend read... although it's hard not to worry about how the hell you'd get the records back if you embarked on a trip like this with a proper record hoovering head on

Yup, this is in the pile to be read... looking forward to it.

Just finished "Live Fast, Die Young: Misadventures in Rock & Roll America"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Live-Fast-Di.../dp/1849530491#_

Which unfortunately I can't really recommend...
                      In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

• Originally posted by someblokecalledfuz View Post
                        Yup, this is in the pile to be read... looking forward to it.
                        Started this as a follow-up to "More Miles Than Money" yesterday

"Hot Burritos The True Story Of The Flying Burrito Brothers" by John Einarson - Same publisher as the Elekra book mentioned above...
                        "It's all just one big plastic hassle..." - Psych-Out

Comment

• Kind of miss reading as entertainment.
                          http://soundcloud.com/teaspoonsweden
                          http://www.mixcloud.com/SebastianFSorrow/
                          http://soundcloud.com/seb-f-sorrow

Comment

• Originally posted by Bud Peyote View Post

Kind of miss reading as entertainment.
                            That's a brilliant book!!!!!!!!
                            A Sound Awareness

Comment

• Of late I have mostly been reading...70's comics.

I opened a box that has been sealed since I moved up North 10 years ago and am now surrounded by nice copies of 'Deadly Hands of Kung Fu', 'Thor', 'Submariner', 'Weird War', 'House Of Mystery', 'Conan the Barbarian' 'The Unknown Soldier' and others that I bought for pence back when everyone else was buying Frank Miller.

I love them very much, but most of all I love the Green Arrow comics I bought from a kiosk in Colchester bus station in the mid seventies that were also in the box.
                              SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

• Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
                                Of late I have mostly been reading...70's comics.

I opened a box that has been sealed since I moved up North 10 years ago and am now surrounded by nice copies of 'Deadly Hands of Kung Fu', 'Thor', 'Submariner', 'Weird War', 'House Of Mystery', 'Conan the Barbarian' 'The Unknown Soldier' and others that I bought for pence back when everyone else was buying Frank Miller.

I love them very much, but most of all I love the Green Arrow comics I bought from a kiosk in Colchester bus station in the mid seventies that were also in the box.
                                god bless you. i have been reading 1970s captain britain and 1980s fantastic 4 - i dont know whether to be ashamed or just brazen it out
                                Chimptown, now twinned with Cockermouth, Penistone and Big Beaver, Pennsylvania..

Comment

Working...
                                X