Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Of late I have mostly been reading...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Just read Jim Thompson's "The Killer Inside Me". Very fine. My interest was piqued by the recent film, though I didn't see it. Very understated. Whats almost scariest is the sympathy you feel for the protagonist who is very a dangerously disturbed individual - I'm not giving much away by saying that as the huge quote from Stanley Kubrick on the cover gives that much away too.
    Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

    John Peel

    Comment


    • Originally posted by emperor tomato ketchup View Post
      Just read Jim Thompson's "The Killer Inside Me". Very fine. My interest was piqued by the recent film, though I didn't see it. Very understated. Whats almost scariest is the sympathy you feel for the protagonist who is very a dangerously disturbed individual - I'm not giving much away by saying that as the huge quote from Stanley Kubrick on the cover gives that much away too.
      I didn't rate the film much. A bit too slick, like one of those 80s visions of the 50s, and it relied too much on source material. Thompson's humour works OK on the page, but not so much on the screen. also, Jessica Alba's nowhere near slutty enough, either and Elias Koteas is wasted.

      As for Winterbottom's defence that the extreme violence is meant to highlight the reality of abuse, I don't buy that for a minute. I reckon he was simply trying to match the impact of those scenes in the book, which have no redemptive qualities whatsoever.
      Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

      Comment


      • Originally posted by babycart View Post
        I didn't rate the film much. A bit too slick, like one of those 80s visions of the 50s, and it relied too much on source material. Thompson's humour works OK on the page, but not so much on the screen. also, Jessica Alba's nowhere near slutty enough, either and Elias Koteas is wasted.

        As for Winterbottom's defence that the extreme violence is meant to highlight the reality of abuse, I don't buy that for a minute. I reckon he was simply trying to match the impact of those scenes in the book, which have no redemptive qualities whatsoever.
        I can certainly see how it might not work so well as a film. I'm not sure if the book is meant to be redemptive? To me it seemed like an intersting variation whereby the protagonist is the bad guy and who see into the mind of the monster and how normal he is in some ways and how simple and straight forward the "evil" is. Its not sadistic just logical within his own mind view. Of course as a film is more external rather than based on one narrative point of view its maybe much harder to give that angle to it and it just looks like a nasty man beating and murdering people.

        I thought the prose was very effective, it got a lot across with relatively few words. The violent scenes avoided any grand guignol excess. And that fitted in with the violence being a simple logical consequence of Lou's "sickness".

        What do you mean by source material, quotes from the book? That'd seem like an obvious solution to the problem above.
        Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

        John Peel

        Comment


        • Polished off Barbara Ehrinrich's "Smile Or Die" over the weekend. Some very funny bits early on but gets a bit less interesting in later chapters with more detail than i really needed to be convinced. But then I was never seduced by The Secret or motivational posters or that kind of thing anyway.
          Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

          John Peel

          Comment


          • Killer Inside Me is great!!! Haven't seen the film, but the book has one of my favourite opening lines: 'I'd finished my pie and was having a second cup of coffee when I saw him.' - you're straight in! No messing. PS.

            Am currently reading No Country For Old Men. F'ing great!
            Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by emperor tomato ketchup View Post
              I can certainly see how it might not work so well as a film. I'm not sure if the book is meant to be redemptive? To me it seemed like an intersting variation whereby the protagonist is the bad guy and who see into the mind of the monster and how normal he is in some ways and how simple and straight forward the "evil" is. Its not sadistic just logical within his own mind view. Of course as a film is more external rather than based on one narrative point of view its maybe much harder to give that angle to it and it just looks like a nasty man beating and murdering people.

              I thought the prose was very effective, it got a lot across with relatively few words. The violent scenes avoided any grand guignol excess. And that fitted in with the violence being a simple logical consequence of Lou's "sickness".

              What do you mean by source material, quotes from the book? That'd seem like an obvious solution to the problem above.
              There's a lot of quotes directly from the book - " a man crawls a mile with his brains blown out" etc, but the bits where Ford inflicts "torture by cliche" are also included and don't really work, maybe because 50s cliches don't seem that cliched anymore. Anyway, it's basically a literary joke that doesn't really translate to the screen.

              The book is one of those studies of psychopathy that became much more popular later, but Thompson was always a pulp writer and the book is written in that lurid, fatalistic style. I think he wrote fast and it often shows, but he can go off on astonishing jags of experimental and surreal writing - the double-narrated ending of Hell Of A Woman, being buried in trash inthe Getaway, and the bizarre goats and utterly strange 'vagina farm' story in Savage Night.
              Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

              Comment


              • I don't know how this ended up in a charity shop in Newcastle, but it is very good reading, for anyone interested in the Lester Bangs style of journalism. Half the book is a life story, the other half is reviews. Paul Nelson was a guy who first believed in New York Dolls, Bruce Springsteen and loads of others. Fascinating, and ultimately heartbreaking stuff.

                Last edited by kestrel blazer; 29-10-2011, 12:15 PM.

                Comment


                • As a warm up before tackling the UK underground I have been getting my orgone on in 'Fury On Earth', a tremendous biography of Wilhelm Reich.



                  Highly recommended to anyone interested in psychoanalysis, orgasms, state oppression, great men and cloud busting machines, which should cover more or less everyone here...
                  Last edited by eine; 09-11-2011, 11:02 AM.
                  Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by eine View Post
                    As a warm up before tackling the UK underground I have been getting my orgone on in 'Fury On Earth', a tremendous biography of Wilhelm Reich.



                    Highly recommended to anyone interested in psychoanalysis, orgasms, state oppression, great men and cloud busting machines, which should cover more or less everyone here...
                    Woah! In a sense my specialist subject, or one of 'em... will PM you.
                    "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

                    Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

                    Comment


                    • I once wrote a third of a film biography of Reich, only to realise it had mutated into 'Carry On Orgone'. Fascinating character.
                      SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

                      Comment


                      • Habibi by Craig Thompson.



                        I'm struggling to actually read it at the moment - I just gawp at it in amazement...

                        http://www.matpringle.co.uk

                        Comment




                        • I wouldn't bother. Great material (heretics, prostitutes, outlaws, mad kings, barons, wicked preachers, lusty popes etc.) but poorly written, unimaginative interpretations and ultimately boring. No records, either

                          Got a Kindle for my birthday and have downloaded China Mieville, The City and The City... started it today, flucking ace. He seems to be quite the dude - any fans?

                          Also reading:





                          And, for the lolz whilst I listen to my sirius jazzes:

                          Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

                          Comment


                          • Just finished Tobias Jones' "The Dark Heart Of Italy" and I would recommend it to anyone with the slightest passing interest in that "bel casino" of a country
                            Jones describes his on / off love affair with all things Italian extremely well and concisely, I found I was chuckling to myself on the bus at his accurate descriptions of all things Italian
                            Now, I'd love to read something similar but with the UK as the subject country. Any suggestions?
                            some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by medlar View Post
                              Just finished Tobias Jones' "The Dark Heart Of Italy" and I would recommend it to anyone with the slightest passing interest in that "bel casino" of a country
                              Jones describes his on / off love affair with all things Italian extremely well and concisely, I found I was chuckling to myself on the bus at his accurate descriptions of all things Italian
                              Now, I'd love to read something similar but with the UK as the subject country. Any suggestions?
                              A really excellent book. I don't have any English recommendations but, mentally and literally, its filed next to A Season With Verona, where an English journalist spends a year following Verona FC.
                              Mixes, compilations and the like

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Little Jimmy Oddman View Post
                                A really excellent book. I don't have any English recommendations but, mentally and literally, its filed next to A Season With Verona, where an English journalist spends a year following Verona FC.
                                Nice one Jim, shall investigate
                                some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X