Of late I have mostly been reading...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pier Paolo Pasolini - A Violent Life.

Also just finished my first Hans Fallada novel - Once A Jailbird. Willi Kufault what a character!
    record licker

Comment

• (Image win, Ashra!!!!)

I couldn't put Lunar Park down, but I feel a bit dirty now. I liked the autobiography into horror story and there were a few chapters in the middle which were amazing, but far too campy on the finish. What was the point?

Also, this again:

Gravity's Rainbow is the best thing ever, obvs, but V. is... just a little dull.
      Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

• Originally posted by relkeel View Post
        Pier Paolo Pasolini - A Violent Life.

What a cover!
        "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

• Originally posted by eine View Post
          Gravity's Rainbow is the best thing ever, obvs, but V. is... just a little dull.
          I usually find your music tips useful so I'll try to give Gravity another try, it bored the hell out of me about a decade ago.
          Currently on a Graham Greene kick. Started Heart Of The Matter after reading The Quiet American. That guy could write.
          Last edited by mp3000; 04-11-2012, 03:08 PM. Reason: removed irrelevant image

Comment

• I do think GR is both brilliant and boring. Once the excitement of the first chapter has gone, it gets impossible to understand for a while before breaking through again into someplace amazing. If you've got the time and you're in the right place to put the work in... I think it's worth it, in the same way that Moby Dick, Crime & Punishment and Ulysses are worth it. All have moments of great tedium in them (shut the fuck up about the damn whale already, we now how white it is), but all have moments of sublime transcendence, almost as a pay-off from the hard work you put into them. That's why great literature is, in my opinion, a pursuit best suited to the young, the old and the rich (or those with time on their hands).
            Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

• Graham Greene is acer, I think. Heart of the Matter very good. Pynchon liked to parody that postwar well-read British international high power milieu... Fleming and Greene... novelists who had 'lived'.

Comment

I do think GR is both brilliant and boring. Once the excitement of the first chapter has gone, it gets impossible to understand for a while before breaking through again into someplace amazing. If you've got the time and you're in the right place to put the work in... I think it's worth it, in the same way that Moby Dick, Crime & Punishment and Ulysses are worth it. All have moments of great tedium in them (shut the fuck up about the damn whale already, we now how white it is), but all have moments of sublime transcendence, almost as a pay-off from the hard work you put into them. That's why great literature is, in my opinion, a pursuit best suited to the young, the old and the rich (or those with time on their hands).
                I've been reading War & Peace and it is like Moby Dick in that there are whole chapters where the authour is just shiting on about their theory of history/marine biology. Though unlike Moby Dick it has an interesting plot and believeable characters living real lives. And it handily breaks down to a chapter a day for a year. With the intersting aspect that if you read it that way the events of 1812 happen in real time from about July to November, so the weather is getting codler and bleaker in the book and your real life.
                Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

...and I haven't been reading this. But new Michael Chabon US cover looks like this:

And for the promo
                  Looks nice but is it any good. I saw that in a chazza last week but didn't buy it as it was a fiver and I was buying the new anthology about Scott Walker also for a fiver there.
                  Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

• Originally posted by emperor tomato ketchup View Post
                    Looks nice but is it any good. I saw that in a chazza last week but didn't buy it as it was a fiver and I was buying the new anthology about Scott Walker also for a fiver there.
                    I was leafing through this the other day. It namechecks blaxploitation.com and funky16corners in the postscript, and is about two vinyl shop owners, their midwife partners and an old Melvin Van Peebles-type blaxploitation star.
                    I've read a couple of Chabon's earlier books. they're fine, good humoured, quirky cracks at the sort of classic American family novel that Franzen is currently the poster boy for, but I can't say either of them really grabbed me. I like Jonathan Lethem much more, and his work is deeply soaked in music.
                    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

• Xmas books received but not yet fully digested:

I have one of Tartt's other books 'Altered States of Consciousness' but this looks fascinating - a big study of Californian stoners. Includes lots of graphs of mental and physical effects of the demon weed, which, reading between the lines, is exalted here like it was, well 1971. Which it was.

Middle comic of a brief 80s Marvel series that I am intrigued by. Particularly this character: The Witness. Essentially a ghost that no one can see or hear, fated to witness events as an observer, forever.

Looking forward to this, which I'm sure a few here have read.

My Mum bought me this. Am a little daunted by its size.

As recommended to me by plushpig a while back.

FASCINATING book accompanied by CD. The author recovers sound from alternative recording systems, some going back hundreds of years.

Again, a bit daunted by the size of this one.

Picked this up sometime over Xmas and read in one sitting. A short story really. I love a bit of Houllebecq though - snotty, rude, off kilter profundity, if a little similar to Platform.

Really, get this book. Despite the shite cover it is an erudite, interesting account of three years of self-administered LSD therapy undertaken by Christopher Gray, a situationist and disciple of Bhagwan. As the acid restructures his memories, Gray goes through the history of its use as therapy and suggests means by which it could transform the global political landscape. In many ways, it's "the nuts". Am sure a few on here would love it.

Finally, have been re-reading this classic text. Or, as the online cut-up generator has it:

this re-reading have this classic been classic
                      Recommend anyone interested in what Terry Wilson's been up to post Gysin, to read this.
                      Last edited by eine; 15-01-2013, 06:09 PM. Reason: Pic size!

Comment

• I'd be interested to know your take on the Toop Exotica
                        I'm about halfway through a book called Mondo Exotica by Francesco Adinolfi which is a fascinating account of how exotica and the 'other' have informed music, movies and literature since the late 19th Century - and a run through of some of the main exotice artists
                        "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

great literature is, in my opinion, a pursuit best suited to the young, the old and the rich (or those with time on their hands).
                          And the intervening years are for buggering about on Record forums
                          https://oneboxrecordfair.wordpress.com/
                          http://twitter.com/#!/obrftokyo
                          https://instagram.com/obrftokyo/
                          https://www.facebook.com/Its-Time-Fo...5685810999497/

Formerly, lecturer at the University of Rome, with two commas and a full stop in the normal way.

(=^ェ^=)

Comment

• Originally posted by Expiry2011 View Post
                            I'd be interested to know your take on the Toop Exotica
                            I'm about halfway through a book called Mondo Exotica by Francesco Adinolfi which is a fascinating account of how exotica and the 'other' have informed music, movies and literature since the late 19th Century - and a run through of some of the main exotice artists
                            I started it, but got put off by the fiction bits. It's by the bed for when I'm ready.

Originally posted by Plainstone View Post
                            And the intervening years are for buggering about on Record forums
                            I MUST DO LESS OF THIS!

Comment

• Simultaneously reading these three and trying not to get confused...

Comment

• What's the 'History of the Analogue Record' book like?

Comment

Working...
                                X