Of late I have mostly been reading...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by emperor tomato ketchup View Post
    I am intrigued by the Biker book - any good? Also is it written by John Wooley who did that Belgian garage rock tune You're Lying?
    I've really enjoyed it - There are only 40 movies contained within it and not too obscure - It is focused on Biker movies as opposed to movies with bikers in and is mostly framed between 65 (MotorPsycho) and 74 (Road of Death) but introduced with The Wild One. Nicely illustrated but not too much info on soundtracks.

Don't think it's the same author... from the back

"John Wooley and Michael H. Price have been writing about movies - and many other things - for the past several decades. Their previous collaborations include Forgotten Horrors 3! Dr. Turner's House of Horrors, the "forgotten horrors" column in Fangoria and the graphic novel anthology Southern-Fried Homicide."

Comment

• Just finished this. Entertaining read containing some truths about being a regular in a bar.

Comment

• Brilliant and recommended. Will ignite a love of history in anyone who reads - loads of stuff about bones, spiritualism, purgatory and hellfire. Tombs like this:

Also read this:

Which wins prizes for worst cover ever but is actually amazing. Tough read, but if you're at all into Egypt, the Land of the Dead, Victorian pomp and cultural pillage - go to it.

And finally:

Forming Vol 1 by Jesse Moynihan

Such a great graphic novel - a kind of mix of sci-fi, ancient myth, weird sex and wrestling. I cannot wait for Volume 2, which is online and finished, but no book yet.
        Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

• Originally posted by eine View Post

Forming Vol 1 by Jesse Moynihan

Such a great graphic novel - a kind of mix of sci-fi, ancient myth, weird sex and wrestling. I cannot wait for Volume 2, which is online and finished, but no book yet.
          You had me at the cover, the description was a bonus.
          SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

• YOu should have a crack at Sir Thomas Browne´s Urn Burial on that tip, Eine.

I can barely understand a word of it, but it´s still magnificent.

Darkness and light divide the course of time, and oblivion shares with memory a great part even of our living beings; we slightly remember our felicities, and the smartest strokes of affliction leave but short smart upon us. Sense endureth no extremities, and sorrows destroy us or themselves. To weep into stones are fables. Afflictions induce callosities; miseries are slippery, or fall like snow upon us, which notwithstanding is no unhappy stupidity.

My edition has a preface detailing the precise measurements of Sir Thomas´s skull.
            Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

• Ah yeah - I have had a go at that, got some distance and then I evaporated. I've got the Anatomy of Melancholy on my shelf too - one day...
              Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

• Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
                You had me at the cover, the description was a bonus.
                I think it's great! You can read it all online but I don't have the patience for it. There's a very good (book grading) copy on Amazon for a tenner all in right now. Can't recommend it enough - a pleasant way to pass a couple of hours.

Comment

• I have just finished reading Jonas Jonasson's The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out Of A Window & Disappeared. What a fantastic book, delightfully bonkers, and actually quite eccentrically English in its writing style. It reminded me very much of a novelistic version of the EAling comedies.

One of my favourite lines:
                  President Lyndon Johnson had ordered beer and vodka to be served with the food, because French wine reminded him of Frenchman and this was meant to be an enjoyable evening.
                  http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

• Read this - by John Williams from 1965 - on holiday and would recommend it to anyone still interested in perfectly shaped novels.

Forget the misleading title with its unfortunate modern connotations, this is simply an achingly beautiful and emotionally true rendering of a life most ordinary, which somehow becomes transformed in the telling into something universal.
                    Remarkable subtle moving stuff.
                    To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

• Originally posted by jakartajive View Post
                      Read this - by John Williams from 1965 - on holiday and would recommend it to anyone still interested in perfectly shaped novels.

Forget the misleading title with its unfortunate modern connotations, this is simply an achingly beautiful and emotionally true rendering of a life most ordinary, which somehow becomes transformed in the telling into something universal.
                      Remarkable subtle moving stuff.
                      Just got this in a batch of other books because my other half bought a few for her book club. Very much looking forward to reading it when I get some time.
                      The wife wants me to read 'Oh Dear Sylvia' by Dawn French but I'm not convinced!
                      Fleas the size of rats suck on a rat the size of a cat....

Not As Great As His Very Best, But Pretty Much As Great As Most Anyone Else's.

Comment

• Originally posted by ladyboygrimsby View Post
                        I have just finished reading Jonas Jonasson's The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out Of A Window & Disappeared. What a fantastic book, delightfully bonkers, and actually quite eccentrically English in its writing style. It reminded me very much of a novelistic version of the EAling comedies.

One of my favourite lines:
                        President Lyndon Johnson had ordered beer and vodka to be served with the food, because French wine reminded him of Frenchman and this was meant to be an enjoyable evening.
                        A few other people I've been speaking to have read this. Can't remember who they are and their opinions but this book is certainly making ambient ripples around me.

I have recently read Valis by Philip K Dick and The Course of The Heart by M. John Harrison.

Both have mystic and gnostic themes. The first is ostensibly sci-fi and has 70s rock stars in it who make a trashy sci-fi film with a moog soundtrack which communicates knowledge about God/a sateillite in space to Philip K Dick's alter-ego Horselover Fat. I thought it was great but you have to have a high tolerance for mysticism to enjoy it (everyone here would love the 70s rock star film scene though).

M John Harrison is new to me - another sci-fi writer, but this book is not sci-fi, but rather an hallucinatory story of contemporary magic, passion and an imagined medieval spiritual zone manifesting in the heart of Europe. It's VERY odd, wonderfully written and metaphysically psychedelic in its effect. When I was in the midst of it I felt I my morals and values were tripping out. Certainly changes how you look at the world. Any others dig him/recommend more?

Comment

• Just reading Mumbo Jumbo by Ishmael Reed - it's a kind of conspiracy theory meets reevaluation of black/white culture set in 20s NY. A contagious dance called Jes Grew is spreading around the US and its influence is being resisted by a sinister secret group called The Wallflower Order (they don't dance I guess) who are in league with the Templars. The good guys are voodoo practitioners and the mutafika group who steal non-western art from museums and redistribute it to its country of origin. I haven't had as much time as I'd like to read it though cos I'm so busy but I am certainly enjoying it.

Comment

• That sounds great Rich. I like the hardback artwork:

Comment

• Originally posted by eine View Post
                              That sounds great Rich. I like the hardback artwork:

Yeah, nicer than the softback I've got which is ok.

Comment

• Recently finished:

Robert Falcon Scott – The Voyage Of The Discovery
                                Baldwin Hills - Simon King Of The Witches
                                Robert Eckvall – Tibetan Skylines

And currently reading:

Victor Pelevin – The Clay Machine-Gun

All recommended
                                some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

Working...
                                X