• Originally posted by medlar View Post
    Recently finished:

Robert Falcon Scott – The Voyage Of The Discovery
    Baldwin Hills - Simon King Of The Witches
    Robert Eckvall – Tibetan Skylines

And currently reading:

Victor Pelevin – The Clay Machine-Gun

All recommended
    milieu/ genre/ themes/ reasons for recommendation/ plots/ etc?

Comment

• Originally posted by alanmck View Post
      milieu/ genre/ themes/ reasons for recommendation/ plots/ etc?
      Scott - classic, I would have thought most people know of it. His first trip to Antarctica. Very well written with an extraordinary level of detail. I have lined up next his diaries from his second fateful trip

Simon King Of The Witches - exploito trash to tie in with the film of the same name. I expect Pencilface knows the film, it's trash but actually quite enjoyable
      Plot, Simon wants to become a magician etc etc. The book adds lashings of extra sex and trash.

Tibetan Skylines - apparently Eckvall was a missionary in Tibet before the Chinese rolled it. Truly wonderful book where the author gets let into Tibetan society and in simple but effective prose tells of various adventures during his stay in Tibet.

The Clay Machine Gun - Not finished, but this is rather absurdist stuff by the author who describes it as 'the first novel in world literature which takes place in an absolute void'. So far we've had vodka, cocaine, Arnie Schwarzennegar and Lenin.
      Very very Russian.
      some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

• Originally posted by eine View Post
        M John Harrison is new to me - another sci-fi writer, but this book is not sci-fi, but rather an hallucinatory story of contemporary magic, passion and an imagined medieval spiritual zone manifesting in the heart of Europe. It's VERY odd, wonderfully written and metaphysically psychedelic in its effect. When I was in the midst of it I felt I my morals and values were tripping out. Certainly changes how you look at the world. Any others dig him/recommend more?
        If you can handle the 'New Worlds' style of new wave SF writing, then track down 'The Machine In Shaft Ten', a collection of his early short stories. The title story in particular is a minor masterpiece of deadpan weirdness.

His 'Viriconium' novels are well-regarded; they are kind of similar to Gene Wolfe's 'Book Of The New Sun' sequence in that a) they are set in the distant future combining fantasy tropes with irruptions of ancient technology, b) I didn't find them very engaging.

Comment

• Originally posted by medlar View Post
          Simon King Of The Witches - exploito trash to tie in with the film of the same name. I expect Pencilface knows the film, it's trash but actually quite enjoyable
          Plot, Simon wants to become a magician etc etc. The book adds lashings of extra sex and trash.
          Collectable paperback alert! Nice.

Originally posted by medlar View Post
          The Clay Machine Gun - Not finished, but this is rather absurdist stuff by the author who describes it as 'the first novel in world literature which takes place in an absolute void'. So far we've had vodka, cocaine, Arnie Schwarzennegar and Lenin.
          Very very Russian.
          I've read Omon Ra by Pelevin, lots of cosmonaut fantasy. Pretty ace from memory

Originally posted by Sonovox View Post
          If you can handle the 'New Worlds' style of new wave SF writing, then track down 'The Machine In Shaft Ten', a collection of his early short stories. The title story in particular is a minor masterpiece of deadpan weirdness.

His 'Viriconium' novels are well-regarded; they are kind of similar to Gene Wolfe's 'Book Of The New Sun' sequence in that a) they are set in the distant future combining fantasy tropes with irruptions of ancient technology, b) I didn't find them very engaging.
          Have absolutely no idea what 'New Worlds' style is, but I was pretty impressed by this M. John Harrison. His style is a bit fussy, but it really got into my head. Not sure I can take a sequence of sci-fi novels, but thanks, I've just bought 'The Machine In Shaft Ten' - looks like there's been a bit of a price war on Amazon and you can get the very lovely Panther Science Fiction softback for
          Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

• Originally posted by eine View Post
            Have absolutely no idea what 'New Worlds' style is
            Basically, in the 60s the British SF magazine 'New Worlds' started to be used as a vehicle for 'avant garde' literary techniques, ultimately resulting in tons of experimental weird writing, and/or the wheels falling off. Lots of interesting stuff from this period. Check out the section on New Worlds And The New Wave on this Wikipedia page for more.

Comment

• Ahh - a friend was telling me about this - Moorcock had M John Harrison reviewing books for New Worlds when he was 16 or so, right? Have a strong stomach for avant guarde lit so I will enjoy this.

Sometimes I wish I was a Borg and was endless and cold and could assimilate IT ALL.
              Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

• Thomas M Disch was one of the New Worlds bunch, despite being American, and his Camp Concentration is a proper mind melter. 334 is great, too.
                Haven´t tried Harrison and for some reason Moorcock absolutely terrifies me.
                Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by babycart View Post
                  Thomas M Disch was one of the New Worlds bunch, despite being American, and his Camp Concentration is a proper mind melter. 334 is great, too.
                  Cosigned on that. Camp Concentration - beautifully tasteless title and epically bonkers. Not just a fluke either, The Genocides, Echo Round His Bones, White Fang Goes Dingo (short stories) - all highly rateable Disch.

Originally posted by babycart View Post
                  Haven´t tried Harrison and for some reason Moorcock absolutely terrifies me.
                  Never managed to get through anything by Moorcock either.

Comment

• No Moorcock? Not even the Jerry Cornelius stuff? Diminishing returns, but the first few books in the series are great psychedelic nonsense.
                    SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

• Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
                      No Moorcock? Not even the Jerry Cornelius stuff? Diminishing returns, but the first few books in the series are great psychedelic nonsense.
                      I think wading through Barefoot In The Head killed any desire I ever had for novel length psychedelic nonsense.

Comment

• Originally posted by jakartajive View Post
                        Read this - by John Williams from 1965 - on holiday and would recommend it to anyone still interested in perfectly shaped novels.

I read that. I appreciated the tension of the novel and the growing sense of momentum releasing into a fantastic end. However it was also kind of 'austerity chic' and a little dull too.

I also read Fuel-Injected Dreams by James Robert Baker about a thinly disguised Phil Spector. Lots of rock roll and overwriting, but lots of fun too. Here we go:

I've put an excerpt up on my blog

Got a few more semi-trashy books about rock n'roll which I want to read this year and will post up.

Anyone else read anything good/bad of late?

Comment

• Now onto Rants and Incendiary Tracts:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6...endiary_Tracts

Very enjoyable
                          some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

• Cool book. Good to see that it has an original English Ranter in there. Last year I went weeeell out of my comfort zone performings excerpts of A Fiery Flying Roll by Abiezer Coppe alongside a noise artist who manipulated by voice. I've recorded it but can't yet bear to listen to it...

Comment

• I am working my way slowly and unenthusiastically through "The Grapes Of Wrath" at the moment. So darn bleak though, it's not helping the generally low mood I've been in of late. Much preferred "Cannery Row", which I read last year. Finished James Fearnley's Pogues book a couple of days ago and received Bernard Sumner's autobiography at Christmas, so that's next

Best book I've read in a long, long time: "Pure" by Andrew Miller

North of the River Cole

Comment

• Originally posted by RedX View Post
                                I am working my way slowly and unenthusiastically through "The Grapes Of Wrath" at the moment. So darn bleak though, it's not helping the generally low mood I've been in of late. Much preferred "Cannery Row", which I read last year.
                                It just gets bleaker and bleaker. If you liked Cannery Row try Sweet Thursday which follows on from CR with the same characters. Also Tortilla Flats is worth a read.
                                http://www.matpringle.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X