No announcement yet.

Of late I have mostly been reading...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I found out about this paperback via Tumblr ages ago and now the postman has brought me my very own copy! From the back: “This thoughtful new novel is a daring attempt to handle the theme of advanced criminology and the unresolved conflict of Society versus those who will not or cannot conform.”

Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

• Originally posted by eine View Post
      I found out about this paperback via Tumblr ages ago and now the postman has brought me my very own copy! From the back: “This thoughtful new novel is a daring attempt to handle the theme of advanced criminology and the unresolved conflict of Society versus those who will not or cannot conform.”
      I believe that's the work of the indefatigable Lionel Fanthorpe - site has a nice collection of Badger books covers...

Comment

• That's the Badger!

I love Badger books, and don't have nearly enough.
        SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rich Hero View Post
          It was used by Lamarck to illustrate his theory of evolution, abandoned in the wake of Darwin and Wallace and Mendelian genetics.

Lamarckism
          Not abandoned in my house. Before Christmas I discovered that both my son and my partner were full-blooded Lamarckians who reckoned that giraffe´s necks were the results of generations of tippy-toe stretching.

I recently read some short stories by Mavis Gallant, who is urbane and scintillating and ideal Sunday morning fare. . I also read the first Adrian Mole book for the first time in decades, but this time it made me cry, not laugh.
          Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sonovox View Post
            I believe that's the work of the indefatigable Lionel Fanthorpe - site has a nice collection of Badger books covers...
            It is indeed. To be honest I didn't buy it to read it. This copy from the library of John Clute, who must have been having a clear out!
            Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

• Originally posted by Filthy Rich View Post
              Watched the film of Inherent Vice the other day and I was somewhat underwhelmed. I mean, I enjoyed the film but I was expecting more somehow, possibly unreasonably cos I haven't read the book. I am a fan of Pynchon generally though and I suspect he may just be hard to adapt.
              Did you watch it via that link I sent you on Facebook? I'm looking forwards to seeing it at the cinema. I've not read the book, but I'd consider any adaptation to be a totally different beast.

I agree with Eine that Gravity's Rainbow is pretty much the best book ever written. It may have been beaten into second position by Infinite Jest which I've just finished.
              "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

• Originally posted by Tsundoku View Post
                It may have been beaten into second position by Infinite Jest which I've just finished.
                Aha! Currently reading:

Not read Infinite Jest. It's ON THE LIST though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sonovox View Post
                  Wow - what a great collection of covers!

Thanks for the link.

Comment

• I think this is my favourite...

Comment

• This is going to end up expensive for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by eine View Post
                        This is going to end up expensive for me.
                        Esperantist Badger Special?

Comment

• I love the last panel here, as if the hounds of the aristocracy are playing a great game of hide and seek with the badger, who always wins.

Comment

• I lived right out in the country for twenty years and never saw a badger. Still haven't. This place doesn't help.

Comment

• Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
                              I lived right out in the country for twenty years and never saw a badger. Still haven't. This place doesn't help.
                              But the countryside is crawling with badgers. Maybe try going out on foot, in a non-scarlet jacket and forget the pack of hounds?.
                              Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

• I would like to see one, but I also respect their privacy.

Comment

Working...
                                X