No announcement yet.

Of late I have mostly been reading...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just found some Old Danish issues of MM from '84 feat. Grandmaster Flash and D.St. Still remember Melle Mel's interview. Good stuff.

Comment

• Huysmans - Against Nature.

Ripped through this one super fast (by my present day standards) laughing all the way. This is hilarious, and one of the reasons is the absolute accuracy with which he nails aesthetic snobbery / mindset of the collector. From the liqueur organ that Des Esseintes devises, to the description of his botanical acquisitions, to the relentless cataloguing of his collection of Latin books including extensive description of his favourite florid, "degenerate" and stylistically convoluted writers, it seemed to me that I was seeing all the follies and foibles of the record collector.

I also feel like I don't need to ever read another book featuring a neurotic jaded dissipated antihero figure, I am hoping this lets me off the hook for Robert Musil's "The Man Without Qualities" at least.

Comment

• Byzantium: The Apogee - John Julius Norwich. The central book of a trilogy (I haven't read either of the others) covering roughly the years 800 - 1100 when the Byzantine empire was at its height, an era I was previously very hazy on. This is an epic and compelling sweep of history encompassing serial usurpation, treachery, blinding, castration, more blinding, religious slugfests, poisoning, conniving, battle, blinding, enforced tonsure, and above all, blinding (they were quite keen on blinding). And a great read.

Comment

• The Last Policeman trilogy by Ben H. Winters. So, a giant asteroid of dinosaur-killer dimensions is going to hit the Earth shortly, civilization is falling apart, and you're a detective in a murder mystery trilogy. Is it even worth bothering? Yeah, it's cheesy as hell, but it's great fun - I love a bit of apocalypse fiction, me, and I went straight through the lot. Nice genre mash-up.

Comment

• No replies as yet.
            SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

• I've been reading a lot of comics recently and Harrow County is worth a look if you like horror comics. It's beautifully drawn too.
              http://www.matpringle.co.uk

Comment

• I've been struggling through Alfred Jarry's "Day & Nights" - it was my bedtime read and worked a treat, however it is now my journey into work book and I'm doing ok. I guess if you drank as much absinthe as this fellow did you would be dead in your early 30s...
                some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

• WG Sebald "The Rings Of Saturn". Just to Part V. Wonderful, his work had totally passed me by until now.

Comment

• I wasn't sure where to post this literary equivalent of the Waxi Boners collection:

http://awfullibrarybooks.net/
                    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

• Nice site!

My book buying is almost as bad as my record collecting.

Sonovox: Love Sebald. Rrings of Saturn is an amazing, dizzying book. Think I've read one other (Austerlitz perhaps).

I've just got through the bio of Sun Ra.

Amazing!

As recommended on here. One of the best music books I've read. Totally focused and absorbing look at the man in context, in time, in space.
                      Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

• I've finally started reading Mark Helprin's "Winter Tale" - pictured in a previous post - and I am enjoying it greatly. It brings to mind "Little, Big" by John Crowley, another book that intertwined fantastic realms with whimsical Americana - and also echoes of Mervyn Peake and John Barth. Self-indulgent, twee, sumptuous and magnificent.

Comment

• Just finished "Infinite Jest" and am in the speculating. About what the hell actually happened / will happen.

Comment

• had these pointed out to me today

Andrew Cartmel - Vinyl Detective series

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vinyl-Detec...1238381&sr=1-3

anyone read any?

Comment

• Originally posted by bongolia View Post
                              had these pointed out to me today

Andrew Cartmel - Vinyl Detective series

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vinyl-Detec...1238381&sr=1-3

anyone read any?
                              Reading Written in Dead Wax now. It's looking good for three reasons, he likes jazz, he likes proper coffee and he likes vinyl.
                              eat chocolate-creams with the appetite of a blase parrot. H H Munro.

Comment

• Ha, just started it myself, About 100 pages in. Bit silly, but enjoyable so far. Was given all three the other day by my sister (5.99 for the set on bookpeople website)

Comment

Working...
                                X