Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little Jimmy Oddman
    replied
    Jinx: clearly great minds read alike Mendoza.

It was interesting and it was VERY good on Cornish folk (with some mention of Chrissy Quayle and Brenda Wootton, who have been mentioned briefly here). If it kept up that quality, it would be astounding. Sadly, I didn't think it could manage it - it drifted off terribly and was horribly vague or uninformative elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

• Little Jimmy Oddman
    replied
    Well, I'm reading the Pevsner Leeds architecture guide and have recently finished reading Will Hodgkinson's Ballad of Britain (interesting but flawed account of tracking down modern folkies).

As for classics, its obvious but if you liked To Kill A Mockingbird, what about Truman Capote's In Cold Blood?

Or for Classics, read The Odyssey. Everyone should read The Odyssey. Plus, its not a million miles away from Gullivers' Travels, in many ways.

Leave a comment:

• mendoza
    replied
    Just finished reading Will Hodgkinson's 'Ballad of Britain' from last year. A musical travelogue that tries looks at folk music in a modern context. I imagine a quite a few on here would like it.

The last classic I read was 'The Picture of Dorian Gray' which i really enjoyed and would reccomend. I'm about to start Laurie Lee's 'Cider with Rosie' as i'm about to move out that way. Only ever read his 'As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning' which is defintely worth a look.

On another tip I really enjoyed George Orwell's 'Down & Out In Paris & London' and Graham Greene's 'Travels With My Aunt'.

Leave a comment:

• MPFlapp
    replied
    Just finished Dave Haslam's "Manchester, England" - had been put off it for years by the cover... stupid really, but what a top read it is indeed - a Fopp cheapie... from last year...

Currently it's "On Some Faraway Beach: The Life and Times of Brian Eno" by David Sheppard... initial impression is the writing style is a bit pompus, but the facts appear good - musical insight to the creative process might be slim...

Edit

Originally posted by Mr Naga View Post
    '

I feel the urge to read more classics - any recommendations?
    Nuts - sorry - classics... err. I think I might have the wrong recommendations in mind
    Last edited by MPFlapp; 28-01-2010, 02:16 PM. Reason: Nuts - sorry - classics...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X