Of late I have mostly been reading...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lewistown64 View Post
    Just read "Fat Bloke Thin Book" by Arturo Bassick. It's about the life and times of Arturo Bassick in the music industry. If you have no idea who Arturo is, he is/was a member of the Lurkers, Blubbery Hellbellies, Pinpoint and 999. A musician/punk who has been around since day one this tells you the story "of his life of total glamour and untold riches in the entertainment industry". Very funny in parts and well worth a read.
    Books from the bottom end of the music totem pole are often more interesting. Like James Young's Songs They Never Play On The Radio.
    Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

This has to be the benchmark...

We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Originally posted by son of stan View Post
        I'd also recommend reading Ὀδύσσεια (the Odyssey) - in the original latin, of course, .
        Surely the original would be in Greek?

Originally posted by Hooded Claw View Post

I started reading this to have a break from reading Sherlock Holmes which I got a bit obsessed with. My girlfriend bought me the facsimile version of the original Strand magazines in two omnibus editions (omnibi?). I've read all the ones that Sidney Paget illustrated now and both the stories and illustrations are amazing.
        Sherlock Holmes is fab. I have been reading some of the short stories to my son (who is 7) and he hangs on every word. Speckled Band has been a particular favourite.

We have also just read Animal Farm together. Periodically I would ask; "so who would want to be on the farm". "Oh, definitely a pig!" would come the reply. Perhaps we need to revisit this in a few years time.

Currently enjoying the Tom Waits biography Low Side of The Road.

At first I bought records, then I started to collect records; now I merely accumulate records.

Comment

Originally posted by piglit'n'rolf View Post
          Keep up Steve

Comment

Originally posted by son of stan View Post
            I'd also recommend reading Ὀδύσσεια (the Odyssey) - in the original latin, of course, along with "Finegan's Awake" and the complete works of Charles Shakespeare.
            Originally posted by pitch View Post
            I think you'll find the original is in Homeric Greek. Beware cheap Roman copies!
            Originally posted by alanmck View Post
            dear oh dear, Son of Stan strikes again.

whoever will be next?

Originally posted by piglit'n'rolf View Post
            ah, there we are then. Must be something about the name...

Comment

Originally posted by mike sondek View Post
              Keep up Steve
              Maybe I should have read the whole thread. To busy improving my mind elsewhere; with the sleeve notes on the Black Jazz comp I found today....

At first I bought records, then I started to collect records; now I merely accumulate records.

Comment

By the way, if anyone knows of a copy of 'The Young Fogey Handbook' by Suzanne Lowry I'd be more than happy to take it off them. I've been looking for this for years now, and never found one.

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post

Expury70s swap Cd made me dig these two out, both of which are recollections of Drum magazine, which operated in 50s Sophiatown before it was bulldozed and its residents moved forcibly to Soweto.

they're both great, full of music and low life, but also expose the daily grind and injustice of apartheid. Tommy Steele is also exposed as an arsehole who got around a regulation requiring performers to perform for a black audience by charging them a huge amount of money. Alma Cogan also didn't like performing for blacks. Tony Scott, on the other hand, comes over as agreat bloke.
                  They look really interesting - and I've just bought them both for buttons on Amazon!
                  If you liked these you might like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/My-Life-v-Go...5055689&sr=1-1

Really the story of a gangster made good - a totsi who played trumpet, at one time with Miriam Mkeba.
                  It gives a good feel for what it must have been like growing up in South Africa in the fifties when crime was a political act, as well as a way to survive in a society that slowly cut off all other ways to make a living
                  The writing style takes some getting used to - but it feels very much as though it was the way he would speak
                  Don't think that there was a volume two
                  In the usual way of things I found my copy in a charity shop!
                  "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

"I like Dust, too, although it loses its way in the jungle at the end. I think Decline and Fall is his other really good book, and as relevant as ever today now that we're all about to be screwed over by the Bollinger Club.
                    Brideshead, Scoop, Black Mischief and the first of the war trilogy did nothing for me, though. I blame conversion to catholicism, which more or less did for Greene and Chesterton too."
                    Decline and Fall and Vile Bodies should be read one after another as a lot of the same characters feature in both. Enjoyed Scoop and Brideshead but I gave up on Sword of Honour some way through the second book I think.
                    As for what I'm reading now, I'm just about to embark on Young Torless by Musil.

Comment

Originally posted by Filthy Rich View Post
                      As for what I'm reading now, I'm just about to embark on Young Torless by Musil.
                      Some top brutal Prussian initiation rites in that.
                      The Man Without Qualities is good, too (well, the first book is. I never got round to the other two)
                      Vardy.....¬°¬°¬°PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by john stapleton View Post
                        This has to be the benchmark...

This is a classic - I gave up counting how many second hand guitars they bought...

The ability to smoke on a plane - the delights of a decent hotel room and many other mundane or mandy based references...

The Tull gig with Roxy Music at Madison is also mentioned in the Brian Eno book....

I just wish there was a part two - when the Hoople star was on the decent a little...
                        "It's all just one big plastic hassle..." - Psych-Out

Comment

Read Joyce's The Dead short story from Dubliners and then watch the John Huston film of same.

Read Cold Blood (as previously suggested) then watch the brilliant 1968 film of same.

Read Moravia's The Conformist (Il Conformista) then watch Bertolucci film of same.

Read Sendak's Where the Wild Things Are and swear NEVER to watch film of same. It's dire and shouldn't have seen the light of day.

Oh, and Diary of a Nobody by George and Weedon Grossmith - no film I think but they did an ok TV adaptation quite recently. Book is best though.
                          Boy George knew my father

Comment

Originally posted by radtradCat View Post
                            By the way, if anyone knows of a copy of 'The Young Fogey Handbook' by Suzanne Lowry I'd be more than happy to take it off them. I've been looking for this for years now, and never found one.
                            Not cheap, is it?

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Se...Fogey+Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by ninja simone View Post
                              Read Sendak's Where the Wild Things Are and swear NEVER to watch film of same. It's dire and shouldn't have seen the light of day.
                              Dave Eggers has done some kind of novelisation of Where The WIld Things Are - I'm a bit tempted but presume its going to be a bit rubbish.
                              Mixes, compilations and the like

Comment

The Man Without Qualities is good, too (well, the first book is. I never got round to the other two)
                                At the moment MWQ is on my list of books I realise I will never get round to (see also Clarissa) but if I really enjoy Young Torless I might revise that.

"Dave Eggers has done some kind of novelisation of Where The WIld Things Are - I'm a bit tempted but presume its going to be a bit rubbish."
                                He wrote the screenplay for the film didn't he?
                                When I went to NY in November I wandered into an art gallery that had some of Sendak's sketches for a seventies stage production (so not the original books) of Where The Wild Things Are for display and sale - think they started at around fifty thousand dollars.

Comment

Working...
                                X