X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tsundoku
    replied
    Originally posted by Filthy Rich View Post
    Watched the film of Inherent Vice the other day and I was somewhat underwhelmed. I mean, I enjoyed the film but I was expecting more somehow, possibly unreasonably cos I haven't read the book. I am a fan of Pynchon generally though and I suspect he may just be hard to adapt.
    Did you watch it via that link I sent you on Facebook? I'm looking forwards to seeing it at the cinema. I've not read the book, but I'd consider any adaptation to be a totally different beast.

I agree with Eine that Gravity's Rainbow is pretty much the best book ever written. It may have been beaten into second position by Infinite Jest which I've just finished.

Leave a comment:

• eine
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonovox View Post
    I believe that's the work of the indefatigable Lionel Fanthorpe - site has a nice collection of Badger books covers...
    It is indeed. To be honest I didn't buy it to read it. This copy from the library of John Clute, who must have been having a clear out!

Leave a comment:

• babycart
    replied
    Originally posted by Rich Hero View Post
    It was used by Lamarck to illustrate his theory of evolution, abandoned in the wake of Darwin and Wallace and Mendelian genetics.

Lamarckism
    Not abandoned in my house. Before Christmas I discovered that both my son and my partner were full-blooded Lamarckians who reckoned that giraffe┬┤s necks were the results of generations of tippy-toe stretching.

I recently read some short stories by Mavis Gallant, who is urbane and scintillating and ideal Sunday morning fare. . I also read the first Adrian Mole book for the first time in decades, but this time it made me cry, not laugh.

Leave a comment:

• ginghamkitchen
    replied
    That's the Badger!

I love Badger books, and don't have nearly enough.

Leave a comment:

• Sonovox
    replied
    Originally posted by eine View Post
    I found out about this paperback via Tumblr ages ago and now the postman has brought me my very own copy! From the back: “This thoughtful new novel is a daring attempt to handle the theme of advanced criminology and the unresolved conflict of Society versus those who will not or cannot conform.”
    I believe that's the work of the indefatigable Lionel Fanthorpe - site has a nice collection of Badger books covers...

Leave a comment:

• eine
    replied
    I found out about this paperback via Tumblr ages ago and now the postman has brought me my very own copy! From the back: “This thoughtful new novel is a daring attempt to handle the theme of advanced criminology and the unresolved conflict of Society versus those who will not or cannot conform.”

Leave a comment:

• Filthy Rich
    replied
    "As I don't currently own a copy of Inherent Vice, or any other Pynchon, it'll probably remain a vague aspiration untill I read some of the large frightening books I do own."
    Watched the film of Inherent Vice the other day and I was somewhat underwhelmed. I mean, I enjoyed the film but I was expecting more somehow, possibly unreasonably cos I haven't read the book. I am a fan of Pynchon generally though and I suspect he may just be hard to adapt.

Leave a comment:

• amidar
    replied
    From what I can gather from scant info is they were friends. He wrote the liner notes on her second album where he talks about his friendship with her and how good a cook she is. 2 albums and an appearance on 'Herbie Hancock - Crossings' and she disappears.

Originally posted by Mr Naga View Post
    What was their association? Nice to think it's not a contrived shot with a beautiful model like what I thought it was.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Naga
    replied
    Originally posted by amidar View Post
    The woman on the cover is Victoria Domalgoski who did a couple of folk albums in the early 70's. I only know as I came across her debut last year and read about her association with Brautigan. Wasn't too enamoured with the first album as her voice is a bit of an acquired taste although the second apparently features Herbie Hancock doing some session work. No one seems to know what became of her.
    What was their association? Nice to think it's not a contrived shot with a beautiful model like what I thought it was.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Naga
    replied
    Originally posted by jahshabby View Post

I'm reading the first volume of Danny Baker's autobiography. I like him anyway, I find him a strangely attractive personality and his writing style is, as you would expect, entertaining, forthright and unapologetically upbeat.
    I like him a lot but also in a Twitter sense he's probably the person I most unfollow/follow but that might be as I find him difficult to take as a gobshite Millwall supporter. However I found the book sort of likeable but also like one continuous crap brag.

We need to talk about our book btw. I would like to make it still.

Leave a comment:

• giantchicken
    replied
    Originally posted by emperor tomato ketchup View Post
    As I don't currently own a copy of Inherent Vice, or any other Pynchon, it'll probably remain a vague aspiration untill I read some of the large frightening books I do own.
    Don't let us put you off, Emperor - you should at least sample 'The Crying Of Lot 49' which manages to condense all the hallmark Pynchon chops into a relatively light and easy read. Then take a holiday for a couple of years and consider your next move.....Btw, why is Pynchon so bloody mysterious? How is it possible that such a famous novelist can remain so far under the social radar for so long? I'm beginning to think he's not a real person but some kind of front for a secret cabal of uber-literaries...WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE?...WHAT DO THESE BOOKS MEAN?...WHY AM I ASKING ALL THESE RHETORICAL QUESTIONS?...

Leave a comment:

• emperor tomato ketchup
    replied
    As I don't currently own a copy of Inherent Vice, or any other Pynchon, it'll probably remain a vague aspiration untill I read some of the large frightening books I do own.

Leave a comment:

• giantchicken
    replied
    Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
    I've been working through Reaktion Books animal series. ANIMAL
    Thanks for the reminder GK, I've got one of these waiting in the erm, 'wings'...... I think you can probably guess which one!

Leave a comment:

• ginghamkitchen
    replied
    Originally posted by Rich Hero View Post
    It was used by Lamarck to illustrate his theory of evolution, abandoned in the wake of Darwin and Wallace and Mendelian genetics.

Lamarckism
    Thanks, Rich, that's the...giraffe.

There is a book on the badger in the series. Inexplicably, haven't got to that one yet.

Leave a comment:

• Rich Hero
    replied
    Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
    Wasn't the giraffe also used as an example of natural selection?

Lamarckism

Leave a comment:

Working...
X