Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eine
    replied
    Ah yeah - I have had a go at that, got some distance and then I evaporated. I've got the Anatomy of Melancholy on my shelf too - one day...

Leave a comment:

• babycart
    replied
    YOu should have a crack at Sir Thomas Browne´s Urn Burial on that tip, Eine.

I can barely understand a word of it, but it´s still magnificent.

Darkness and light divide the course of time, and oblivion shares with memory a great part even of our living beings; we slightly remember our felicities, and the smartest strokes of affliction leave but short smart upon us. Sense endureth no extremities, and sorrows destroy us or themselves. To weep into stones are fables. Afflictions induce callosities; miseries are slippery, or fall like snow upon us, which notwithstanding is no unhappy stupidity.

My edition has a preface detailing the precise measurements of Sir Thomas´s skull.

Leave a comment:

• ginghamkitchen
    replied
    Originally posted by eine View Post

Forming Vol 1 by Jesse Moynihan

Such a great graphic novel - a kind of mix of sci-fi, ancient myth, weird sex and wrestling. I cannot wait for Volume 2, which is online and finished, but no book yet.
    You had me at the cover, the description was a bonus.

Leave a comment:

• eine
    replied

Brilliant and recommended. Will ignite a love of history in anyone who reads - loads of stuff about bones, spiritualism, purgatory and hellfire. Tombs like this:

Also read this:

Which wins prizes for worst cover ever but is actually amazing. Tough read, but if you're at all into Egypt, the Land of the Dead, Victorian pomp and cultural pillage - go to it.

And finally:

Forming Vol 1 by Jesse Moynihan

Such a great graphic novel - a kind of mix of sci-fi, ancient myth, weird sex and wrestling. I cannot wait for Volume 2, which is online and finished, but no book yet.

Leave a comment:

• double shot
    replied
    Just finished this. Entertaining read containing some truths about being a regular in a bar.

Leave a comment:

• Deep Down Heavy
    replied
    Originally posted by emperor tomato ketchup View Post
    I am intrigued by the Biker book - any good? Also is it written by John Wooley who did that Belgian garage rock tune You're Lying?
    I've really enjoyed it - There are only 40 movies contained within it and not too obscure - It is focused on Biker movies as opposed to movies with bikers in and is mostly framed between 65 (MotorPsycho) and 74 (Road of Death) but introduced with The Wild One. Nicely illustrated but not too much info on soundtracks.

Don't think it's the same author... from the back

"John Wooley and Michael H. Price have been writing about movies - and many other things - for the past several decades. Their previous collaborations include Forgotten Horrors 3! Dr. Turner's House of Horrors, the "forgotten horrors" column in Fangoria and the graphic novel anthology Southern-Fried Homicide."

Leave a comment:

• babycart
    replied
    Originally posted by relkeel View Post
    Collective social worlds were the furthest thing from my mind the last time I ingested some of those little foul tasting critters.
    Me too. I was too busy burying my shirt to muse on utopia.

Leave a comment:

• relkeel
    replied
    A friend has just alerted me to this, which I will definitely be reading:

"Turn on, tune in, but don't drop out: The impact of neo-liberalism on magic mushroom users' (in)ability to imagine collectivist social worlds."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20810266
    Collective social worlds were the furthest thing from my mind the last time I ingested some of those little foul tasting critters.

Leave a comment:

• relkeel
    replied
    Originally posted by Expiry2011 View Post
    As you seem to be in a mood to read about drugs, have you read Storming Heaven by Jay Stevens? Give a great overview of the rise of LSD use in the US and how it went from opening the doors of perception to being a sure way to go crazy.
    Haven't picked it up for years - must do when I get home
    Yes, I was impressed with this ,but it has been like 25 years ago since I read it.

Leave a comment:

• eine
    replied
    Am always in the mood to read about drugs, saves me from doing any

And I have that, but have only dipped in. Sounds worthwhile, will dig it out...

Leave a comment:

• Expiry2011
    replied

"Turn on, tune in, but don't drop out: The impact of neo-liberalism on magic mushroom users' (in)ability to imagine collectivist social worlds."

As you seem to be in a mood to read about drugs, have you read Storming Heaven by Jay Stevens? Give a great overview of the rise of LSD use in the US and how it went from opening the doors of perception to being a sure way to go crazy.
    Haven't picked it up for years - must do when I get home

Leave a comment:

• eine
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Rich Hero
    replied
    Originally posted by emperor tomato ketchup View Post
    How about for the sake of consistency you start trolling the FB record selling group 'cos a well known record seller spelt it one l there week.
    Erm, pardon?

Leave a comment:

• emperor tomato ketchup
    replied
    Originally posted by Rich Hero View Post
    Woolley.
    How about for the sake of consistency you start trolling the FB record selling group 'cos a well known record seller spelt it one l there week.

Leave a comment:

• emperor tomato ketchup
    replied
    Originally posted by Rich Hero View Post
    Woolley.
    Could still be the same guy. Biker's are not always good on book learning.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X