Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kmarmol View Post
    I'm reading a few at the moment, including

Been reading that Miles book off and on for a while too. How's the Marcos book?

Been reading some fragments and discussions about this one while waiting for the Swedish translation to arrive at the mailbox
    Beautifully written, and an already classic review here

"Revolutionary movements do not spread by contamination but by resonance. Something that is constituted here resonates with the shock wave emitted by something constituted over there. A body that resonates does so according to its own mode. An insurrection is not like a plague or a forest fire – a linear process which spreads from place to place after an initial spark. It rather takes the shape of a music, whose focal points, though dispersed in time and space, succeed in imposing the rhythm of their own vibrations, always taking on more density. To the point that any return to normal is no longer desirable or even imaginable."

freebie here http://libcom.org/library/coming-ins...ible-committee
    Last edited by BeatsDeluxe; 19-07-2010, 10:05 AM.

Comment

• Cheers for the link beats

The Marcos is actually really good, well written shorts and polemics very much in the style of the latin american authors like Naruda etc.

The Miles on the other hand is a bit less forgiving and i find taints some of my love for him since he comes across as a bit of an arse at times, especially his attitude towards women.

Comment

• Originally posted by kmarmol View Post
        The Miles on the other hand is a bit less forgiving and i find taints some of my love for him since he comes across as a bit of an arse at times, especially his attitude towards women.
        Yes he does. I struggled with that arse's reminiscences for a bit before giving up on it.

There should be a separate thread for most depressing and off-putting jazz biog. Charles Mingus, "Beneath The Underdog" and Art Pepper, "Straight Life" come to mind. Although, at least the Pepper one is honest and self-aware, not self-aggrandising.

But the prize would go to that Chet Baker one that came out a few years ago. One of the most depressing reads ever! And I speak as someone who has waded through, "La Nausee", "Jude The Obscure" and "One Day in The Life of Ivan Denisovich" to name just three...
        Endless Tripe

Comment

• Originally posted by son of stan View Post
          There should be a separate thread for most depressing and off-putting jazz biog. Charles Mingus, "Beneath The Underdog" and Art Pepper, "Straight Life" come to mind. Although, at least the Pepper one is honest and self-aware, not self-aggrandising.
          I loved 'Straight Life' - I didn't find it depressing particularly.

Just read 'White Bicycles' by Joe Boyd which was also great. Having spent a good few months slogging my way through a Sonic Youth biog 'White Bicycles' was a pleasure - so much so I read it in less than a week. Made me feel like something of a lazy, unadventurous oaf though given how much he squeezed into his youth.
          http://www.matpringle.co.uk

Comment

• Originally posted by MPFlapp View Post
            ...the "The Ballad of Britian" has been doing it this week...
            I thought the start to that was absolutely amazing - the chapter on Cornwall is great and mentions some nicely obscure names that appear on some great records on Sentinel. I think he very quickly gets lazy after that and interviews the same old indie types for no particular reason.

I'm currently reading The Roots of The Blues by Samuel Charters, an account of travelling through The Gambia and Senegal recording local musicians. In particular its about how the musicians of the time (late seventies) deal with the history of West Africa. Its fantastic.
            Mixes, compilations and the like

Comment

• Originally posted by Little Jimmy Oddman View Post
              I thought the start to that was absolutely amazing
              I think he very quickly gets lazy
              Would agree

Originally posted by Little Jimmy Oddman View Post
              The Roots of The Blues by Samuel Charters
              Straight on the list of to order books - cheer for the tip

Should have knocked off the Bill Graham biog by the time it arrived - was out of print for a while...

"It's all just one big plastic hassle..." - Psych-Out

Comment

• Originally posted by MPFlapp View Post

Should have knocked off the Bill Graham biog by the time it arrived - was out of print for a while...

Great read!
                We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

• Panorama of Hell - Hideshi Hino

Truly fucked up manga
                  some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

• Originally posted by john stapleton View Post
                    Great read!
                    Took ages to get this - the recommendation came from a film maker called Robert Nelson a few years back - Mr. Nelson knew Bill when he started... few stories over a beer or two and some where towards the end of the evening he said the book was quite on the ball... at the time it was out of print

Mr. Nelson - a tip of the cap in your direction sir

Comment

• Despite being massive, this is incredibly readable. Bought it in a chaz last week and have zipped through it at a rate of knots. Fans of The Wire - you need this one. You can actually see the raw material for lots of the characters here - Namond's character seems to have been built in no small part on D'Andre McCullough, one of the main characters here. It expands and builds on all the themes of The Wire and puts them in a full political context, explaining the futility of the War on Drugs and the hypocrisy (ours?) which supports this. What I really admire about it is his ability to take characters who are hated by society and make them really human and sympathetic.
                      "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

• Thanks for the advice BDC. Got to find me a copy asap

Comment

• Not so much reading as looking at...

Off the Wall: Psychedelic Rock Posters from San Francisco 1966 to 1969

Catalogue from Louvre exhibition a few years back... great scans of the posters on top notch paper... no idea why I bought the French edition...

pages

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 463.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	858502

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 464.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	858503

EDIT: I only dug this one as I'm still reading the Bill Graham biog - puts the events in context when you can see the posters
                          Last edited by MPFlapp; 01-08-2010, 04:22 PM. Reason: forgot Bill Graham

Comment

• Originally posted by BestDressedChicken View Post
                            Dan, have you seen the mini-series David Simon and Ed Burn did based on the book before they did The Wire? Its fantastic and based very closely on the book I think.

I've not read The Corner but Homicide: Life On The Streets is great - another where you see bits of The Wire (and Homicide the TV series).

Comment

• Originally posted by Little Jimmy Oddman View Post
                              Dan, have you seen the mini-series David Simon and Ed Burn did based on the book before they did The Wire? Its fantastic and based very closely on the book I think.

I've not read The Corner but Homicide: Life On The Streets is great - another where you see bits of The Wire (and Homicide the TV series).
                              Not seen it yet, but someone at work keeps saying they'll lend it to me. One overlap with the book and TV series that I found really moving is a dramitisation of a key moment in an addicts life - she (Fran Boyd) failed to get a bed in a treatment centre - this scene is almost the dramatic centre in the book, and was apparently replicated in the TV show, with the centre's receptionist played by the real Fran Boyd.
                              "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

• That's right - at the end of the last episode (or it might be a DVD extra, I can't remember) some of the real central characters talk about their lives as well...

I think you can tell that The Wire is very definitely set in that world, there's a lot of overlap. D'Andre and his mates become all of the kids in Series 4 of The Wire (especially Namond, as you say) but also the lads in Series 1 (especially Bodie) and D'Angelo, to a certain extent.

Comment

Working...
                                X